cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Still No Embarrassment Allowed.

gregp136
9 32 450

I wrote this post in April of 2017.  That was three failed quits ago.  I am back again, and my new quit date is Feb. 19th.  Each and every time I fail near the end of No Man's Land.  I really need to be careful this time.  But I am back, and yes, regardless of what I said, I am embarrassed.  Thank you all for all of your support.

I look around the playground, and I miss seeing some familiar faces.  There are a few people I have not seen in a while.  I have looked by the slide, the jungle gym, and the swings.  I walked around the whole pond, and even through a lot of the paths in the woods. 

Maybe they have been busy, and just can’t come to the playground as much.

Maybe they have homework.

Or their dad is making them clean their room.

Or do dishes.

Or something.

But…..Maybe…..Just maybe…

They smoked, and are ashamed to come into the playground now. If that is you, please get over your embarrassment.  As a group, most of us have failed in quitting, some, like me, a lot.  And yes, we can be pretty strong in our pushing people not to fail.  That is because we know what failure is like.  We do not want others to feel that.

But if you do fail, I promise, we will still support you!  You are still welcomed on the playground!  Please come and play, and we will try again.  I have heard people use the term “serial quitter”.  It is used negatively.  I understand that.  But I also understand that people could easily call me that.  Yet I am here on the playground, my head high, and 41 days into 50th quit in the last 3 years. 

Call me anything you want!  I am not embarrassed by my failures.  And please, if you have failed, come back, let’s sit in the sandbox and talk about it!

I will not judge you. 

I promise!

Just please, come outside and play with us!

Tags (1)
32 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Oh, Greg!

I am SO happy you are back.  The sandbox has been really lonely without you!

3512882_1453.jpg

Please spend some time sitting in the sand with me, and we can plan what you will do in the same circumstance/same emotions that caused you to lose your last quits.  We will be READY for them this time - I promise!

elvan

Greg, l am SO GLAD you are back. I haven’t smoked or even come close, my breathing is terrible, l might have to lay on a blanket next to the sandbox so l can listen to you & Nancy planning things out.  I’ll tell you what, this is a miserable way to live. Struggling to breathe, falling asleep when l desperately want to stay awake. You do not want to be like me & there is no reason you will be. Stay close, plan carefully & NEVER be embarrassed here.

Ellen

Sootie

So good to see you....have thought about you so often.....welcome back to the playground (although mine is covered by several feet of snow at the moment.

No embarrassment allowed here..............we are all just addicts or former addicts trying to survive.

Heed elvan‌ selfless words------she is always so honest with what can happen from smoking.

Welcome home!

Jennifer-Quit

I really dislke the term "serial quitter".  I cannot begin to tell you how many failed quits that I have had in my life time - some lasted a few hours, a few days, and one lasted over 2 years. But here I am at 2,479 days now - the difference this time was the help and support that I received at this site and the acceptance that just one smoke is not allowed.  So stick around - we are here to help but the real work comes from you.  Welcome back Greg!

Giulia

"I have heard people use the term “serial quitter”.  It is used negatively."  Well, perhaps I am one who has used it, but I hope not necessarily negatively. /blogs/Giulia-blog/2017/03/25/for-the-serial-quitters-out-there   Obviously someone who continues to go through the same pitfall process time after time after time can be called a "serial quitter."  Meaning someone who repeats the same action over and over again. Miriam dictionary has one definition as "performing a series of similar acts over a period of time"  How that definition is interpreted is up to the individual.  To me it's just a fact.  Truth. 

I'm actually surprised that you lost your quit.  I just assumed you were still so.  

"Each and every time I fail near the end of No Man's Land."  OK, so you know that.  So what do you intend to do to prevent it happening next time?  "Being careful" is kind of a nebulous term.  What does that mean?  Just being aware, paying attention?  Setting up deliberate actions or thoughts you can employ during that time might be of more benefit.  In my opinion you need to get very VERY specific as to what you will do to prevent a relapse occurrence.  I.e.:  If THIS happens, THIS is what I will do.  I mean you spent that kind of thought on your farm house, right?  Refurbishing it.  To me, that's the same kind of attention and thought and care deliberation and planning that needs to go into this latest quit.  But that's me.  And that's my thinking and "my" way."  Your task it to find the way that will ultimately work for you and set you free.  I'm glad you're back and hope you can get to the point where you don't have to keep talking about failure.  And how's the FARM??????  You ever move in their permanently yet??  Hope so!

RachelMB

Greg,

I was so excited to "see" you when I logged on this morning.   No embarrassment allowed this time either my friend.  I'm glad you're here and the playground has not been the same.  Stay close and remember you can do this! xoxoxo

Rachel

Barbscloud

Glad you're back to get on track again.  Most of us have been there, so no judgements here.   Remember to reach out before you smoke--that's what we're her for.

Good to hear from you.

Barb

Mike.n.Atlanta

pastedImage_1.pngand don't be embarrassed.

Mn@ 001.jpg

MarilynH

Welcome home Greg, you've been missed more than you'll ever know and the playground has been very lonely without you I'm hoping you'll join me on the teeter totter  I'm so glad that you are back with all of us here at Ex.....

meWisconsin

Glad you're back  Greg. The playground hasn't been the same without you.

Terry

indingrl

1613133633239561175269637935346.jpg

Greg and thank YOU for sharing

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome back to the playground gregp136 many of us know the facts of going back to smoking...no judgement...this is my third and last quit...each time you quit, it seems to be a bit harder, but this time I did the work and gritted my teeth.  Also, I stayed close to the support site to encourage others on their journey and to ask for help...Please know we are here for you ... wishing you a Happy Friday ~ Colleen 802 DOF 

Barbara145

Let's put on our masks and go play  Good to see you.  Nobody could have more failed quits than me.  I smoked for 52 years.  I started trying to quit at year one. This site was my answer 7 + years ago.

Christine13

Great to see you here!!  I love playing in the play ground with you.  No embarrasement needed.  I must be the queen of serial quitters, but I'm still here trying and hoping to get this right!

JACKIE1-25-15

There are always two sides to the coin.  Your title no embarrassment allowed.  I believe your reference is for the playground for someone who has relapsed. However, when I smoked I was always embarrassed and would hide the fact that I was a smoker. I would hide it by any means necessary. I was ashamed that I had to go out back and smoke. I would spray freshener on me before I came inside,  hoping no one smelled it. They knew. I was always washing my hands to get rid of the smell. The odor was so embarrassing.  It was embarrassing for me to be the only one in the group that still smoked. I was embarrassed that at the age of 60+ I was still wasting my money on cigarettes. With hard work and the support of this community and not giving up, I no longer have to deal with the guilty feeling of embarrassment or the stigma that comes with being a smoker. I am thankful for the support.  I can come here at any time whenever I may feel vulnerable.  Yes after 6 years I have seconds of time but not often but because of the connection here (your playground), I can escape and no longer have to deal with the embarrassment of smoking.  I was/am an addict and I was truly embarrassed by it. I feel better now.

Strudel

Welcome back Greg. I am so happy that you decided to come back.....and to quit. No need for embarrassment- you only need determination and a desire to approach this as your last quit. To me having the guts to come back and admit that you need to start again.....is what this place is all about. As our dear Tommy pir8fan‌ would say - we always leave the lights on for those coming coming back. I know those lights include the playground! Congrats on your decision to quit! 

virgomama

Hi Greg,

Glad you're quitting again.  You're certainly not alone in quitting more than once.  My frustration with continually quitting was what brought me to this site and here I found the tools to make the final quit.  Giulia said it all.  Make your plan, get it solid inside your gut that this will be your last .  On my last relapse before my final quit I was so frustrated that I made a promise I would keep quitting until I finally quit for good even if it took quitting for the rest of my life.  I found this site made my plan and stayed really close to the wonderful people on this site.  The support and knowledge here gave me the tools and edge I needed to get over the line.   You can do this!!!!!

Legend

I am so glad you came back this place has an endless supply of support. You are one of us and we need you here just as much as you need us.    

Rachy2283

Awesome job deciding to quit again gregp136.  Welcome back and I hope this will be your last quit!! Great job and I look forward to walking out your quit journey with ya!! Not looking forward to no man's land but buckled in and getting ready to enter in...Congrats and good job

Rach -38 DOF

Augustus44

Well, all I can say is thank God, or whatever or whomever you believe in, for the wonderful non judgmental people who write or send encouragement to all of us. I've never heard the term "serial quitter," but I do understand it. I'm on Day #5 after having quite for a whole year and made the mistake of smoking one cigarette. At Day#5 I'm busy, and feeling like I'm going to make it through the day--and for me, I've finally realized after a number of tries, that it is one day at a time. I hope that this Sunday, I can put away $35.00 that I didn't spend on cigarettes this week. ( I think I was buying a pack every other day)--

Hang in there--we can do it.

JACKIE1-25-15

pastedImage_1.jpg

on 5 days of freedom. 

You can do this as you said one day at a time. 

Rachy2283

Congratulations Augustus44‌!!! Yes it is one day at a time... N. O. P. E. Not One Puff Ever. N. M. W. No Matter What. S. I. N. A. I. Smoking Is Not An Option . These little mantras are great reminders!! Good for you!! You can do it!! 

YoungAtHeart

gregp136 

How's it going?  I know I am missing you here on the playground.  The see-saw just isn't the same without you!

index.jpg                                                                                                  

gregp136

Very grumpy, but good.  I am here.

YoungAtHeart

gregp136 

Grumpy is OK!

(smoking is not!  )

Giulia

Image result for grumpy  Welcome back to your quit!  lol  (keep a sense of hewmer!)

Rachy2283

Sorry you are grumpy.  You know it will get better.  Are you using any NRT and what kind of tools are you using to stay ahead of the craves.  I hope you are a little better now and happier You can do it Greg.

ReallyReal

@gregp136 Don't know if you, or anyone, will see this comment.  Your blog cheered me up immensely.  In 2022 I came to Ex and got 51 days quit before tanking.  Took me until now to come back because of the embarrassment. ( I've got 3 days now.)  But I have to tell myself that I've GOT TO use whatever tools there are that will help me quit; and if anyone is judging me harshly, well, they can go touch grass.  I am gonna quit and I am gonna use Ex to help me.  There are lots of experienced and supportive people here.  Anyway, your blog really helped me.

JACKIE1-25-15

@ReallyReal Congrats on making a committment that no matter what who when how where you will not smoke...NOPE to you. Hang tough, stay close, come here 
BEFORE you light up. Have a smoke free day. 

Augustus44

There are so many people here helping each other--the country could use this as a template for positive change. 

You will not find anyone giving you a hard time for a lapse--God knows we have all been there. I for one, have quit many times. My longest time was one year. I made the mistake of having a cig, just to see how far I'd come. It was a stinky, and ill tasting, and soon, I was hooked again. So now I am 55 days quit free--in "no man's land," and having a struggle to keep going. I'm with you-- everyone is with you --there is nothing to feel shame about, nor should there be any embarrassment. Nicotine is as tough as Heroin to quit--don't we know it--hang in there. 

ReallyReal

@Augustus44 @JACKIE1-25-15 

Thank you both so much for the encouragement.  I feel the tinges of shame but realize, this is for me and is a choice for Life.  I truly appreciate that Ex is here.  I had to do some attitude adjustments after my failed quit and I am still working on those attitude adjustments.  Centering myself and being firm in my mind that smoking is not an option is helping me in these very early days. And deciding that I will do whatever it takes, no matter how I feel.  Best wishes to you both.  

Augustus44

Now that's the attitude--go get em Tiger

About the Author
I am 64 now. Living, breathing, keeping busy, but yet...failing. It is time to stop failing, at least when it comes to quitting smoking.