cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Starting to feel better

yelnats
0 7 32

This morning, only 2 ciggies with my routine (its usually 3 or 4). This is the only time I smoke all day. My quit date seems so far away.. May 2nd.. at the rate im going, I should be smoke free before then. Been cutting way down now for 5 days.

I am finding that often, when I really think about it, I dont actually want that cigarette!! I've started to think and ask myself; "why do I want this, do I need it?".

This is a balancing act.. chemical addiction, and habit.. with me, I would say it's about 50/50.

I know everyone is different. Some people have no problem with the chemical addiction, but have a serious problem with the habit, the association.

Keeping my brain, and fingers busy. Writting, doing science research, going outside and taking deep breaths of fresh air, drinking lots of water, healthy snacks, playing games on the PC. Keeping a positive attitude. This really isnt THAT hard to do when you have a plan, and you know your enemy.

Normal work week on Monday is for me, the best time to quit. Cant smoke in the building, plenty of stuff to keep me occupied. Weekends are going to require a different strategy.

I could spend the weekend cleaning my filthy house, but I probably wont do that LOL!!

I'm somewhat OCD, so when I start a project, I cant stop untill its finished. All I need to do is find some project that I can really get into and involved with. Writting a short story, doing some studies, etc.

Taking it one day at a time, and not going to beat myself up if I fall off the waggon once or twice, like I did with my last quit. This is not a race, or a contest...

Everbody have a great, smoke free day...

Stanley

7 Comments
Dotgirl_1-28-16
Good morning Stanley. Keep reading and learning about this addiction. It only takes 3 days for the nicotine to leave your body, while you choose to continue to smoke the addiction will continue to tell you that you need to. Keep asking yourself if you really want that cigarette, if the answer is no...tell the addiction NO! Quitting really is that simple. We smoke because we choose to listen to the addiction. We stop because we choose to tell the addiction NO. You've committed to your quit date and that awesome! You're thinking of things to do instead of smoke that's great! You're taking the steps for a successful quit, you're doing great. Keep learning and preparing! Have you considered changing your morning routine? Planning a new morning routine that doesn't involve smoking is something to think about...you can do this!!!
MarilynH

Great advice from Dot above me, the habit in my opinion is the hardest part of quitting smoking because we need to learn how to function through lifes emotions without the crutch keeping your mind as well as your hands occupied helps alot plus some people cut a straw and chew on it instead of the actual sickerette but it sounds like you may want to move your quit date closer, keep reading and preparing yourself for your day one because at the end of your first day you can say day WON. 

yelnats

Thanks Dotgirl.. Yes, I am stumbling on this morning thing.. I am giving myself 2 hours to get ready to leave the house for work.. This is way more time then what I need.. If I give myself only one hour, I will stay focused on what I NEED to do, and will not have time for smoking or even thinking about it.

I agree, I realize I am putting the nicotine in my system a-new every morning, that is what I plan to eliminate as my quit date approchases.

I think 2 morning ciggies is better then 4.. and tomorrow morning, one ciggie will be better then 2..

NRT also keeps the nicotine in your system. But, if your addicted to a drug, say it's Xanax, and your taking 20mg a day, you dont just stop taking it. That could be very dangerous. You taper the dose so your CNS can adjust to the change.

I am still feeling WAAAAY better then I did last week. and I have 110% confidence in myself. Yaaaay 🙂

YoungAtHeart

If you think you feel confident now, wait until you actually quit!  See - if you quit smoking after all the time you told yourself you couldn't - then you must be able to do ANYTHING!

Keep that quit date fluid.  It sounds like you are close to ready.  You know what you will do instead, you understand what quitting involves.  you may be ready sooner than you have planned!

Nancy

Thomas3.20.2010

Finding a good morning routine can really help. Why Quit recommends that you cut your caffeine in half because it reacts with your detoxing body differently than a smoker. I've also heard that black and green teas help detox so if you can switch to tea instead of coffee you can change up your routine and detox simultaneously. 

I found that pledging a Smoke FREE day before I even stepped out of bed was helpful. I then immediately brushed my teeth. Who wants to mess up a clean mouth with a stinky Sickerette? I also drank a lot of Cranberry Juice throughout the day in order to keep my blood sugar levels steady and relieve cravings. Plus water, water, water which also helps one keep away from munchies. There are plenty of suggestions both mental and physical in the Blogs. Many of us jump on this website first thing in the morning. We pledge and then we go on throughout our day with our reasons to quit list very handy.

All of your preparation will pay off with a much smoother Quit Launch!

yelnats

Yep, thats where I messed up with my last quit.. blood sugar!! I felt so spaced out all the time, and did some really crazy things, all because my brain wasnt getting the fuel it needed to fuction normally.. I know how to deal with that now.. Its also important to not skip meals.. I could do that when I smoked.

elvan

You really CAN do this, make your plan, get together a quit kit, stay close to the site, contact people, let us know when you need help...instead of smoking, BLOG, put the word HELP in the subject line.  Someone will respond.  You smoke so little that it sounds like you really just have to get past the mornings...you have cut down to almost nothing.  Write down how strong the crave is before you smoke and then write down what you could do INSTEAD of smoking.  There are LOTS of things.  

I wish you well, drink lots of fluids, eat a healthy diet but allow yourself some leeway, some sweets, some sour candy...something to distract you.  Bite into a lemon, rind and all when you have a crave...the crave will pass.  It will pass whether you smoke or not.