cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Start Over/ A Team

gnatilly05
0 7 23

Well, back to square one.  But this time, DH is joining me on the crazy train.  I feel like going through it together will be difficult, but also built-in support.  We both need to and want to do this.

Since I last checked in, there have been 2 diagnosis of cancer in my family, and an additional probable-diagnosis....  Two of my aunts on my mother's side are now battling cancer!  We have such a horrible family history.  One Aunt died when I was younger from breast cancer. (Smoker/drinker)  Then another aunt was diagnosed with breast cancer - and reached remission stage for at least a year (non-smoker or drinker)   She is now the probable-diagnosis aunt...  they have found holes in her brain (!) that could have come from a number of causes...  she's hallucinating a lot.  So, we don't have a cancer diagnosis on her yet, but... probably.  The two recent aunts have been diagnosed within a week of each other - one was diagnosed with Pancreatic cancer, and has just undergone extensive surgery.  They think they were able to remove the cancer.  She's still recovering from surgery as of today.  The other recent diagnosis was another aunt with breast cancer - don't know what stage.  Sh already has COPD and was on oxygen. (Smoker, drinker).  So.  Wow.  A lot of cancer activity going on.  And both of my grandparents dies of cancer on that side - Gma had originally ovarian, but it got widespread quickly after chemo started.  And Gpa had lung cancer (HEAVY smoker who had quit, probably a lot of 2nd hand smoek for Gma...)  

Needless to say, this is tearing my mother up....  she's really freaking out due to all the new stress.  And so first and foremost, I am quitting for me.  And my immediate family.  And my health.  And longevity.  But also for her - just to have one less cancer patient to worry about someday.

I won't say *Wish me luck*, because luck isnt going to cut it.  I know that.  It's going to suck.  But it's actually going to be awesome, because I will see how strong I am.  My body will heal.  Mine and DH's...  I can't wait to breathe easier!  It's a relief to be done.

7 Comments
SarahP

Welcome back!  Sounds like you've got some extra motivation this time -- that family history is truly frightening. 

When is your new quit date? 

This is probably a good time for you and your husband to refresh yourselves on our recommended readings: 

The free Allen Carr book you can download at:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

The 10-lesson course at:
http://www.quitsmokingonline.com

Make your plan and stick close to this site!  We can help! 

smorgy8513

Welcome back.    Do the reading (maybe again?), have the list in your hands of why you want to quit....don't rely on just thinking of them.      Same with the list of distractions....and come here as often as you can to read and blog.     this is the place to get all the education and support you need....just got to come here.

Let me know if I can help.     Glad you have DH with you, so sorry about all the cancer..you're right though, you don't want to be another cancer case.

Stay strong.

Sharon

gnatilly05

New Quit Date is today!  only 2.5 hours so far - but im 1/10 of the way through the hardest day!!!

YoungAtHeart

Congratulations on your decision to quit.  You certainly have good reasons.  

May I ask if you are using a quit aid?  Your history of smoking?  Is DH your spouse, friend, bf? Can we have some history. quit aid info on them, too?  Have you given some thought to what trigger caused you to decide to smoke last time?  That is something you really need to do so you can make a plan if the same circumstances present themselves this time!

Stay close and ask for advice and support as you need it.  We can help you be successful!

Nancy

gnatilly05

No quit aid for me this time - i tried the bupropion last time around, and had absolutely no results - i was on it for a month, quit after 2 wks on it, struggled....  My history...  I've been smoking for 15 years.  Half of my life!  But tipping the scale in the other direction as of today!  DH = Darling Husband (which is only used sarcastically some of the time  lol).  He has been smoking for about 20 years (he's 38) - we have both tried several times before, but never at the same time - - we always assumed we would kill each other.  But this time we discussed how we will just "go with it" as much as possible and not hold grudges over what we fight about while we are trudging through the beginning part.  

As far as a re-start trigger....  I think I got really angry that the bupropion didnt work.  Felt cheated.  I remember thinking "NOTHING will ever work!".  That's how I figured out that I was right - I have to do this *alone*... not actually alone, but without relying on a quit aid for success.  I counted to much on the drug to make it *easy*.  When it didn't, I took on the victim role - Poor me - they tricked me!!  Obviously, they hadn't - I had just tried to fool myself.  

Now I'm rambling!  

dalichild

The cool thing about cold turkey is that you dont have to quit something else later.  Since you and your Darling Husband are both quitting at the same time, maybe you could start stashing your "cigarette money" into an account to take a non smoking second honeymoon somewhere where it will not bother you to be on a plane for 8 hours and not be able to smoke (wink wink) or do something together that you have been putting off for one reason or another.  I am glad you have a quit partner who knows what you are going through.  

joyeuxencore

Welcome back friend! I think we expected the quit aids to do the heavy lifting FOR us and that is the lie of the NRT propaganda machine!

At this point with all that family history you are making the ONLY choice there is if you value being alive!

Please do the reading it makes the difference in how easy the process is…GREAT to see you! xo