cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Sometimes I surprise myself

djmurray
5 9 181

Here I am at >7 years quit, at 73 years old, and I have a full-time job that I love and is 100% remote. I also bought and have moved into a 2-BR condo. A year ago, I would have said you were crazy, that I was too old and too unwell to do any of that. (Although moving did almost kill me). Yes, there were times when I thought, "Oh, this is too much; I can't do all of this." But much like my quit journey when I had those bad moments, I just put one foot in front of the other and kept on quitting. So here I am in a beautiful condo with an actual office to work in rather than a table in my kitchen, and I did it. And if I stop to think about it, I surprised myself that I actually quit smoking after 53 years of certainty that I would be the last smoker on the planet. We certainly can surprise ourselves that we can actually quit, one day at a time, even when it's tough, one step at a time even when we're weary, and voila, we've achieved our goal. Nancy (Youngatheart) posted a couple of days ago about the joy of freedom, and part of that joy is achieving that goal.

9 Comments
Barbscloud

@djmurray Big congrats on 7 years smoke free and the wonder new life you've created for yourself.

Barb

MarilynH

A super congrats on your precious quit journey Donna YAY for 7 splendiferous years of Smokefree living YAY for each and every YEAR WON with many more to come. 🎉🎈🎉🎈🎉

SuzyQ411

I am so happy for you and all your fantastic accomplishments!! Being seven years quit for one of us in our 70's is amazing. Great job, all around... What a success story 😊 Your hard work and determination paid off @djmurray 

congratulations with thumbs up.jpg

molzep

It's amazing what we can do if we commit! Way to go on 7 years!!

YoungAtHeart

You are certainly NOT a quitter - except when it comes to cigarettes!!

Happy to hear of the wonderful new life you have created.  Good for you!!!!

Nancy

Sootie

My dear friend...so GOOD to hear you are doing well. Have you moved out of Virginia or just a different location in same place? sound like all is well in your world and I am so glad. Yes---I bet it was a bit of a hurdle....but you DID IT!!!!

Strudel

Donna - You sound so good! The job and condo sound great! Congrats on your wonderful quit! 

sweetplt

pastedImage_1.gif@djmurray on 7 Years of Freedom !

Kimshine

@djmurray Congratulations on all of your achievements! 7 years freedom is wonderful!