cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Sometimes I surprise myself

djmurray
5 9 179

Here I am at >7 years quit, at 73 years old, and I have a full-time job that I love and is 100% remote. I also bought and have moved into a 2-BR condo. A year ago, I would have said you were crazy, that I was too old and too unwell to do any of that. (Although moving did almost kill me). Yes, there were times when I thought, "Oh, this is too much; I can't do all of this." But much like my quit journey when I had those bad moments, I just put one foot in front of the other and kept on quitting. So here I am in a beautiful condo with an actual office to work in rather than a table in my kitchen, and I did it. And if I stop to think about it, I surprised myself that I actually quit smoking after 53 years of certainty that I would be the last smoker on the planet. We certainly can surprise ourselves that we can actually quit, one day at a time, even when it's tough, one step at a time even when we're weary, and voila, we've achieved our goal. Nancy (Youngatheart) posted a couple of days ago about the joy of freedom, and part of that joy is achieving that goal.

9 Comments