cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

So not doing well

fairygrl40
0 7 49

Hello all, Ive just started my journey to become a non-smoker and its not going well at all. With no real support system, most all in family smoke, my illness keeps me down and unable to stay busy, from being sick for past six yrs my nerves r on edge and worries over my illness r making it so very hard to quit and stay away from. I dont think these new nicotine patches (Habitrol 21 mg) r helping at all. Ive smoked with the nicotine patch on during really stressful times. I really dont know what to do and Im afraid I wont be able to do it and with my health already bad I really need to. You would think knowing this could be a matter of life or death it would be easy, but Im finding it to be the hardest thing Ive ever done. And Im losing the battle. Super props to all those who can make it thru and reach their goal. I admire ur strength. Wishing everyone health and many Blessings

Im not sure which is the best medicine to help but these patches r not doing it. Im ot sure if I need stronger or something totally diffrent. Who knows I guess trial and error is the way Ill have to go, best thing is I never give up on anything I want done.

7 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

Quitting smoking IS challenging because we are addicted to both the drug (nicotine), the repetitive motions involved, and the solace derived.  Strength is not required!  It is simply making the decision that you will not smoke again NO MATTER WHAT, and then honoring that decision.  You can't win an argument with yourself - so just don't have one!  The decision is non-negotiable!

The most important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there. You should also do the tracking and separation exercises suggested on this site

After you have completed the recommended reading, it will be time to make an informed choice of the quit aid, if any, you will use. If you go that route, I personally recommend the aids that don't let the addict control the dose such as the available prescription drugs or the patch. But – any method that you think will work well for you will be best for you.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand. If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try staying abed awhile and doing some stretching, then perhaps turn on the TV for a bit, or come here and read blogs and THEN get your coffee. Rearrange the furniture in the areas you used to smoke so the view is different.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), put your head in the freezer and take a deep breath of cold air, , play a computer game, take slow, deep breaths, going slower and deeper with each one.   Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. Sometimes you need to quit a minute or an hour at a time.  You will need to be disciplined in the early days to distract yourself when a crave hits.  Don't let that smoking thought rattle around your head alone.  Get busy!  Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

TerrieQuit

Quitting smoking is not easy, but it is doable! There is alot of really good support on this site! There are exercizes on the begining page so you can track the times of day that you smoke the most. There is also a place that you can keep track of what your biggest triggers are. That is a good place to start. There will be someone along shortly with a link to a very good book! Education ,willingness, a promise that no matter what you will not smoke and some determination will help too! You can do this!

I Won't Quit on my Quit!

Dotgirl_1-28-16
Welcome! I suggest you read the suggested steps and prepare for a successful quit. Quitting is actually a pretty simple thing...make a commitment to yourself to never take another puff...you may get an urge...it will last for usually a,couple minutes...plan to keep yourself busy and it will pass...I said it's simple, just don't smoke...I didn't say it was easy...but we are worth the effort!!! Freedom is worth fighting for...YOU CAN DO THIS!!! NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER GIVE IN AND JUST KEEP SAYING NO!!! Welcome...you are among friends and there are many that are long time quitters...they are knowledgable, supportive, encouraging and very, very helpful!!! Together we can do this!!!!
Kimshine

All good advice above. I do recommend the reading. You need to educate yourself on nicotine addiction. You see, addicts don't pay attention to life or death matters when it comes to getting the craved drug, which is nicotine for all of us.

Make a decision to NEVER light another cigarette no matter how uncomfortable it becomes. There will likely be times of discomfort. You may feel as though you're losing but that is your choice.

This is an awesome community and you will get much support here. Stay close and ask for help if you need it.

You said, "I never give up on anything I want done"....PERFECT! If you really want it you will be a success!

lois2

if you want this quit, than you can quit. just get it done.

lois2

the patches will do there job, but you must do yours.

fairygrl40

Thank u everyone for all the advice, I believe my biggest problem is being stuck in bed in one room 24-7 with not a lot to do. Im str crazy enough and trying to quit thru such a trying time for me prob wasnt the best Idea, but I need to and Im trying. I wont give up, ever. Im just not in the right state for it right now and a bit overwhelmed with it. Thanks again and Many Blessings