cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

So I am back again

Wanda45
0 15 285

Yes I quit for two weeks, and then I just decided I really didn't want too.  Can't tell you why, in my heart I just knew it wasn't right for me then.  Tonight I am blogging from a hospital bed.  Sunday I felt like crap.  Not anything in particular.  Arthritis hurt, felt yukky.  Sometime Sunday afternoon I started having flutters in my chest.  I would get nauseous, then warm waves and dizzy.  The damnedest feeling ever.  It happened 7 or so times.  A couple times after I went to bed.  Monday morning I had a couple of these strange spells.  One as my daughter was leaving for work.  She stopped asked if I was okay and I said I don't' know.  I told her what was happening.  She took me to the emergency room.  When I got there my blood pressure was 216 / 114.  Oh yea, buddy, the ER folks kicked into high gear.  

After doing a blood test something indicated that I had a blood clot in my lungs.  So they do a cat scan.  No blood clot but an aortic aneurysm.  And so I was admitted.

After two CT scans, and Echo cardiogram, and a chemical stress test I can tell you I am healthy - except that I now have high blood pressure (under control with meds) and an aneurysm.  The problem with the aneurysm is that it sits on top of the veins that go to the stomach, liver and pancreas,  The hospital here is not equipped to repair this.  There are not enough cases like this to warrant special labs to build stents that would curve enough not to nick one of those veins.  

Tomorrow the doctors are going to get an appointment at Baylor in Dallas for me to go get this repaired.  It will be repaired, and I will be okay.

I have had to go cold turkey since Monday at 7:00 AM.  Do I want one... most of the time, it gets easier every day.  Will I stay quit when they cut me loose, I hope so.  At this point, I can't promise myself that I won't light up when I walk out.

I know all the reasons to.  More than anything reflecting on this week, I am almost 68, have smoked since I was 17, and have no issues.  Just now developed high blood pressure.  Did smoking cause this?  Don't know.   

I want to think that I will just put them down now, but I know  how hard that is  I am not making excuses, just stating a fact.  Stressful situations "seem" to be better, heartache seems to be better, life sometimes seems to be better with just one puff.... but just one puff leads to another and another.   I know all the right answers, mostly because of the great people on this site, who have encouraged me and held my hand.  I didn't come to whine, just to own up and let you all know what is happening in my life.  

I will update you on the surgery, and my status.  Here is to another no puff day.

Wanda

15 Comments
Jennifer-Quit

Wanda I love you - and you were my inspiration when I first quit.  I will pray for you - for both you health and for your quit.  I believe in you - now it is time for you to believe in yourself!

freeneasy

Thoughts and prayers and hoping you stay on the mend. You can get past the feeling that smoking relieves stress. It takes time because for years and years we believed it was comforting. Hoping for many more no puff days for you.

c2q

I want to think that you will just put them down too. It's doable. It's necessary. I believe this to be true:

NecessaryIsPossible.jpg

Sootie

Oh Wanda! I don't know what to say-----except just take care of you and believe that smoking really helps nothing! you know it....but you have to BELIEVE it!

Thoughts and prayers for your full recovery.

Mandolinrain

Oh I am sorry. You will be covered by prayer from many here including me. I hope things start getting better for you soon and the Doctors make the best decisions to treat you....but more than anything, I really hope now you stick to your quit and take care of you. Prayers your way~Missy

Magstoyou

So sorry to hear what you are going thru health wise. Prayers and thoughts to get thru what you have to get thru and heal!!

And I know you know smoking won't help!

Hugs Mags

Giulia

Don't read this Wanda if you want sympathy.  Just skip it by right now. As - who is it says? "tough love alert."  

What the hell are you doing?  Why the hell are you even considering smoking at this stage given what you've just discovered?

"I want to think that I will just put them down now, but I know  how hard that is  I am not making excuses, just stating a fact. "  BUNK.  That's HOOEY.  That's your oh so addicted brain talking to you.  Yes you ARE making excuses.  Dear God, can't you hear them for yourself? "how hard" it is "life sometimes seems to be better with just one puff,"...

Wanda obviously you don't want to quit. None of us did.  But now you have to admit you sorta gotta quit, right?  You know all the right answers, you just haven't eaten them and swallowed them and digested them so that they have become a part of your cellular structure.  You know the answers.  But until you perform them, act them, become them -   they are simply answers without emotional connection, and thus without action.  And until there is an EMOTIONAL connection to the answers, you'll be stuck in the hellish place I imagine you to be.  Knowing what you need to do yet being unable to accept it.

"At this point, I can't promise myself that I won't light up when I walk out."  Please, PLEASE think about what you are doing to yourself and discover the way to find that promise.  You've been a member of this site a long time.  You know the consequences of every cigarette you light up.  Find your freedom Wanda.  This is your life we're talking about here.  We cherish yours.  Please cherish it yourself enough to commit and accept the journey to freedom.  With love.

gardenancy8

http://www.quitsmokingonline.com/course/the-psychology-of-belief/beliefs-and-smoking/   Read this if you haven't already, and if you have, read it again!  I am in the middle of the lessons now, and it is making a big impact on me. Not sure why, but I don't care why, I'm just glad it is! I'm sorry to hear you're in the hospital, sending prayers of healing your way! 

Wanda45

I know how glib this sounded, but tonight that is how I feel.  And every response is what I have thought.  The love .. the tough love, that is what I have been doing to my self.  And believing in me, that I can do is the tougher of the two things I have to do now.  Get this problem fixed and quit.  I struggled with how to say all of this, but decided to go with my heart, hoping that somewhere in that I could get past the overwhelming feeling that "why should I quit" that has surrounded me.

I can actually feel the indignation that some of you have as you answered this blog.  Please know I understand, but also please know that I needed to hear that from each of you.  At this point, I hope I can, I know that I need, no I have to quit, but my heart has not gotten to that.  Thank you Guilia for your words, I love you and needed that.  I love you all, you have encouraged me in the past, and some of you I cried with and held your hand.  I will be back, I will pour out my heart, and with your help I will get back to the point I need to be.  This has to be the first step, not the last.

This week has overwhelmed me .  The doctors do not know what all the "spells" was all about, what caused it, why it was happening, and since they found the aneurysm they haven't even looked for it.  Has it been a gift from God to deliver me where I could get help for a problem that could kill me, and to slap me silly so that I could make that decision to quit.

My sweet Jennifer, I do remember how you struggled, and am so thankful you are still here.

Please walk this walk with me, pick me up when I fall, and slap me when I stumble.  I need all of you now.  I can pour out my heart, and be really stupid, and you still care.

Thomas3.20.2010

I'm glad you're being honest, Wanda because if you were to hide it we could do nothing about that! What I hear is the part of yourself that is clinging to Addiction and yet, you're here! You pretty much knew what the responses would be and you came here! I believe that your Freedom loving spirit brought you here! Listen to that voice! It's the voice that will give you the gift of Life! 

In the hospital we have time and more time to listen to ourselves. Use that time to tune into that spirit of Freedom! The more you find yourself chained to the hospital, doctors, nurses, and all of the rigamarole that goes with it remind yourself that Sickerettes put you there![Yes, I know you could talk yourself out of that!] But you could talk yourself into the Freedom world! You have that power within you! Use that time you have wisely!

There's no place like FREEDOM! Dream the dream and then make it happen!

crazymama_Lori

I remember oh, about 6 years or so ago thinking I've got to "cut down" on my smoking.  it's getting harder to breathe, I too was having palpitations.  The dizzy spells are increasing.  the thought kept repeating, I don't know what I'd do without a cigarette.  My goodness, I had a cigarette in my hand constantly.  I was a 2 - 3 pack a day smoker.  3 packs was when I was drinking heavily.  I don't know if you've ever reflected back on it.  But when I drank, that numbed whatever was ailing me, if it was emotional or physical pain, if I was angry it make it happy.  Drinking seems to either switch up the mood or numb me.  Smoking on the other hand comforted me, it calmed me, it soothed me when I was sad or angry.  Smoking was the equivalent to a mother's wing.  The dopamine hit made everything all better.  The dependence on the nicotine did not.  I was scrambling for those things.  Couldn't leave the house without them.  Always kept an extra pack in the car.  If I was going out drinking that night, better bring along 3 packs.  I remember coming back from Hawaii one year back in 2004, literally running around trying to find a smoking area (the flight was 8 hours).  I distinctly remember my sister who is a nonsmoker just watching my daughter and I scramble to find the smoking area in shock.  In closing, Wanda, please take this time and write down the reasons why you "think" you need to smoke on one side and on the other side really think about what you can do instead of.  Left side: Why I think I need a cigarette...... Right side: What can I do instead.    You know this stuff already, but here's another take on it Quitting Smoking Gets Easier. Truly it Does! 

Pops

Oh Wanda,

Girlfriend, you've got to be kidding me....this is just too (as in way too similar to mine) close for comfort.  Please Wanda, I implore you to stop by and read my homepage.  You and I are so identical in our predicaments.  The good news is...there is light @ the end of the tunnel.  The bad news is...the end of the tunnel is fast approaching!  Please keep me posted.  Wanda, I am such a "happy quitter" these days.  Believe me when I tell you, that I absolutely loved the taste, smell, the entire scene about smoking for the longest time.  Then reality set in.  The truth about what smoking (tar) does to our blood consistency....(mine became as thick as play dough) according to my doctor....

Keep me posted please.....

Pops8

Giulia

We don't slap you when you stumble, we slap you when you're stupid.  We try to catch you when you stumble before you make it all the way to ground zero.  lol    "but my heart has not gotten to that"  Don't wait too long.  

Don't forget your sense of humor, Wanda.  Buy yourself a new hat.  Call it your quit hat.  Put it on the day you quit and  add a bead or a pin or a feather or a.... something to it each day you remain free.  Just an idea.  Something to spur you on.  I wanna see that hat in an updated avatar!

JimTaddeo

Please don't let your addiction kill you! You won't feel anything then............

Papa Jim

elvan

Oh Wanda, I am so sorry you are going through this...PLEASE don't smoke when you are out of there, please value yourself more than that.  Your addiction makes you think that your stress gets better and that your heartache is easier to deal with...it is the addiction talking, Wanda.  There is absolutely no reason to let it continue to control you.  I started smoking at age 17 and I will be 68 in September...I have not smoked in over three years now and I NEVER regret quitting, I only regret starting and that it took me so long to value myself.

You are worth more than smoking...it WILL kill you,  PLEASE value yourself.

About the Author
I am retired from accounting, a grandmother to 13, mother to 4. I quit smoking 3 years ago for 1 1/2 years but started again. I have now quit. I love to play on my laptop, work in my garden, visit friends, and have church activities. I am relatively healthy for an old woman and hope I have many years left to aggravate my children.