Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Smoking and Surgery

JonesCarpeDiem
5 7 247

I met with the spine surgeon today.

They did an xray while I stood and it was even clearer than the MRI

Here's what I found. Two discs are shot from the infection, gone. The two vertebrae affected are where the rib cage is attached to your spine. I can only stand or sit up for 20 minutes before I have to lie down or the pain will cause me to pass out. I can only get relief when I slouch in a chair so my spine is curved forward or bend over forward as when pushing a shopping cart.

We decided to first try pain management and I asked him if there was a closer location to my home. He referred me there to see if that will improve my daily life as I just can't do the opiates.

We discussed surgery. I told him my main concern was recovery time. I told him I need to be able to cook for myself, get to the bathroom, and take care of my cat.

He explained they can robotically remove those two vertebrae and put a cage that connects the vertebrae above and below that space. He said there is only a small incision on your left side and one on each side a few inches away from the spine. He said they have you up the next day.

So that's the temporary plan and the future possibility.

I couldn't do this if I was a smoker.

I'm glad I don't do that anymore.

"The truth is that quitting smoking just four to six weeks before your surgery—and staying smoke-free afterward—can lower your risk of serious complications and help you recover more quickly. Every tobacco-free week after 4 weeks improves health outcomes by 19%, due to improved blood flow throughout the body to essential organs."

"Smoking distorts a patient's immune system and can delay healing, increasing the risk of infection at the wound site. Smoking just one cigarette decreases the body's ability to deliver necessary nutrients for healing after surgery."

7 Comments
About the Author
Hello, My name is Dale. I was quit 18 months before joining this site and had participated on another site during that time. I learned a lot there and brought it with me. I joined this site the first week of August 2008. I didn't pressure myself to quit. HOW I QUIT I didn't count, I didn't deny myself to get started. When I considered quitting (at a friends request to influence his brother to quit), I simply told myself to wait a little longer. No denial, nothing painful. After 4 weeks I was down to 5 cigarettes from a pack a day. The strength came from proving to myself, I didn't need to smoke because I normally would have smoked. Simple yes? I bought the patch. I forgot to put one on on the 4th day. I needed it the next day but the following week I forgot two days in a row I put one in my wallet with a promise to myself that I would slap it on and wait an hour rather than smoke. It rode in my wallet my first year.There's nothing keeping any of you from doing this. It doesn't cost a dime. This is about unlearning something you've done for a long time. The nicotine isn't the hard part. Disconnecting from the psychological pull, the memories and connected emotions is. :-) Time is the healer.