cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Smoking Dreams

Mandolinrain
4 10 157

I am willing to bet, most of you have had one.

I have not for over a year, but wow are they upsetting. I'm not sure exactly why we have them. Could be because we miss the routine of smoking subconsciously ? I know I used to love smoking. I hated its taste and smell and the stronghold it had on me, but I loved it .

Then I became educated about the nasty cancer sticks . 

It really does make all the difference in the world on how successful you will be with your quit once you truly understand WHY you THINK you love it so much.

Once I tackled that...the smoking dreams became a thing of the past.

Happy Valentines  Day all my lovely friends!

10 Comments
Stopforgood

"It really does make all the difference in the world on how successful you will be with your quit once you truly understand WHY you THINK you love it so much."  This statement has caused me to rethink some things and from a different angle.

Very helpful.  Thank you.

Daniela2016

Happy Valentine's to you too!!!

TerrieQuit

Have a great smoke-free Wednesday!   ~Terrie~

Giulia

I usually have a smoking dream about once at month.  Sometimes more.  And I've been quit over 10 years.  They only upset me in the first 6 months of my quit as I recall.  In most of my dreams I "discover" myself smoking, realize I've been lying to all my Ex friends all this time, but am not really that concerned about it.  Wonder what Freud would have to say about THAT!  Actually I kind of like the dreams 'cause I get to smoke in them!  lol  But the nightmare type are no fun at all.  Except when you wake up!

Happy Belated Valentine's Day to you!

Mandolinrain

I can't even recall when I had a smoking dream but they used to terrify me. I do recall I was never having any fun in those dreams.

I know you have alonnnggggg time quit going and I so admire that. 

Mike.n.Atlanta

I'm with Giulia but not as much, maybe 5-6 per year. They don't bother me anymore but they are just as real. I even recognize in my dream that I'm dreaming and am able to change it. Early on I would sit up wide wake looking for the cigarette I had gone to sleep with & dropped in the bed or wondering when I had started smoking again. Good times.

Keep on keepin on,

M n @

TerrieQuit

I did that too, Mike! 

DEFJamBaby

I had my first one two nights ago.

I've only freed myself from smoking 9 days ago and I am doing really well with it. No withdrawl symptoms, no longing after a cigarette, just a quick thought and as soon as I notice the thought is there, it's gone again. But then, two nights ago, this dream. Same here: I caught myself smoking and I yelled at myself, asking what the heck I think I'm doing and smoking me answered: "It's been so easy for you to quit, you can do it again. What's the big deal?" I still can't laugh about that. It terrifies me that the addiction is trying to trick my subconsciousness like that! At least I can't smoke for real when I'm sleeping (I'd also have to sleep walk to a gas station to get cigarettes)... Just thinking I was doing okay (even subconsciously) and then finding out I wasn't, is troubling me...

Mandolinrain

I guess that ole Nicotine demon try to get us all any way he can. Congrats on your quit and staying focused on it. Maybe early on, those dreams are there to scare the daylights out of us so we don't start again. Your doing everything right so don't let the dreams continue to upset you. Your doing fine....we have all had those dreams at one time or another.  Probably all this talk about it will make me have one again and if it does....its just a reminder for me how scary it would be to lose my quit. Have an awesome smoke free day~Missy

elvan

The only one I can remember since I quit is one where my husband and I were sitting in a big truck and our neighbor was in between us.  My husband and I were both smoking and I kept thinking how horribly inconsiderate we were.  When I woke up I was surprised that I would ever have even had that dream...we don't have a big truck and my husband quit smoking over 27 years ago.  I guess our subconscious might take longer to recover...maybe it's like losing our inhibitions when we drink alcohol.

About the Author
Smoking is not an option for me. I no longer have a wishbone to quit smoking...I developed a backbone and I quit. When you're sick and tired of being sick and tired, you will quit smoking too.