cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Smokers Identity

Lucid01
3 15 167

As I approach my quit date I am having to take a look at my smokers identity. I started so young and have smoked for so long that I think of myself as a smoker, naturally. The challenge and opportunity for me is too see myself in a truer way; a larger way than the small self-destroying story of the smoker identity. 

15 Comments
Barbscloud

@Lucid01 True for most of us.  I smoked for 50 years, so being smoker is a major component of one's self.  That's why it's important to create new associations to replace smoking.  You'll create a new you without smoking.

Here's a post from the Mayo Clinic you might find interesting.

Shifting Your Identity - EX Community

Barb

YoungAtHeart

Might I add  a different perspective?  Perhaps you were never really a "smoker," but an addict?  I don't think any of us would have chosen the life that being addicted to nicotine created had we known for what we were signing up!  

You are actually now on the road to becoming the self you were BEFORE you were (purposely) addicted.  Did you know they created cigarettes with the purpose of doing that?  WELP, Big Tobacco DID!  They even added cough suppressants to mask the evil their product was doing to us!  

I am happy you have decided to be a victor, not a victim, of their evilness!  

Nancy

Barbara145

Congratulations on your decision to quit smoking.  I smoked for 50 years like Barb.  I tried so many times to quit.  I was not successful until I found this site.  It has been 10 years since I quit.  I never took another puff. I love myself as a non-smoker.  You can do this.  Stick close to this site.

Lucid01

Thanks for your encouragement! It means alot.

Lucid01

@Barbscloud 

Thankyou for the link. I read it and it really captured my emotions at this moment. 

ReallyReal

@Lucid01  I also got to the point of thinking of myself as a smoker, I would describe myself as such.  Now I realize what a limiting label that is to put on ourselves--chaining us further in our own minds to the horrible killer sticks.  I will be 5 months free in a day and one of the joys of being quit is that I am discovering many new things about who I am, what is meaningful to me and my place in this crazy, mixed up world.  Smoking kept me in the shallows of life as I was always worried about where and when I could get my next fix.  It may sound weird to say, but having been quit longer than any.previous quits, I feel my life is greatly enriched and I am experiencing greater depths of meaning and purpose as I learn about who I am.  Smoking allowed me to avoid a lot of emotions, a lot of interactions with people--I am learning how not to avoid those things now--it isn't always fun, but it is a more honest and authentic life.  I am.looking forward to how my nonsmoking life gets even better and to discovering more things about who I am and who I want to be. I wish you only good things on your journey to freedom!!  It certainly is an adventure!

Maki

@Lucid01 , I never thought I’d be anybody other than a smoker . 12 years ago , part of my fear was wondering if I could live life without my cigarettes. If you are wondering that yourself I can tell you that you can and you will love it . Today I look forward to a future . I can’t say I did when I smoked .  Once you get over the beginning days and weeks and begin discovering who you are you’ll want more and more of the smoke free life. You will leave the old life behind and start seeing a new you and a new future for  you . 
Congratulations on your upcoming quit . Let the process of finding your true self as a non smoker begin . Welcome it . No need to fight for it , you’ve chosen it . Take whatever comes as healing .  It’s one of the best things you will ever do for yourself . 
331A925F-EF3A-4FB6-9F49-E230CC155A4A.jpeg1F13B277-98A0-44A8-AC3E-53AFCF617112.jpeg

Lucid01

@ReallyReal 

Very well said. And congratulations on 5 months of your brand new life.

Lucid01

@Maki 

That message really resonates.

biscuit9

@Lucid01  Congratulations on your decision to change your life and improve your health.  Allow your body to heal, and it cannot heal when you continue to poison it with nicotine.  If we can do this, and our mindset started just like yours, you can do this too.  

Lucid01

@biscuit9 

Thx! Very positive msg.

SuzyQ411

@Lucid01  Congrats on your decision to become a non-smoker. Sometimes I still "bump into" my old identity as a smoker but I don't kick myself for that cuz although I am 21 months fully free from nicotine, I was a heavy chain smoker for more than 60 years before I joined the EX, began to accept help, and I eventually made a sacred spiritual promise to never smoke another cigarette. It all takes time BUT it can be done- I am proof of that!  Am sharing my "quit mascot" with you:

no smoking.heart. 8.1.22.jpg

MY MOTTO:

NOT EVEN ONE PUFF EVER!

NO MATTER WHAT HAPPENS IN MY LIFE!!

Just take it one day at a time, and you will get to where you want to be.

😊

Lucid01

So inspirational!

McMoney

You get to CHOOSE who you are now, choose what you do instead of having every break and spare moment already spoken for! Exciting!! 

Lucid01

@McMoney 

Very true.