cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Smoke dream???

elvan
0 12 14
  I had my first smoking dream last night and it was just plain weird.  In it, my husband and I had bought a car and paid for it with a Cashier's check.  Somehow, we picked up our neighbor and took her to the grocery store on our way home.  My cell phone rang when we were leaving the store and it was the police saying NOT to drive the car because it was illegal.  They said they were on their way to pick it up.  We had carts full of groceries and took them out and put them in our illegal car which had turned into a purple semi.  We got in the cab and were carrying on about how we had been ripped off and my husband, who has not smoked in over 24 years, and I both lit cigarettes which magically appeared.  I kept thinking how RUDE that was because our neighbor was sitting between us and she doesn't smoke.  My husband said that the seller had the money and all of our information because we gave it all to him (he was a terrorist in my dream).  I felt no remorse about smoking, I just felt rude for smoking in that cab with my neighbor.  I woke up and felt like I was losing what was left of my mind.  Sleep deprivation does strange things to dreams.

I did NOT smoke, I don't know where the cigarettes in the dream came from and I have NO idea why my husband would have been smoking. I am not even sure this "counts" as a smoking dream.  

12 Comments
Courage

Um, wow, give me a minute on that one, there's a lot of mixed meanings in there and I think least of all the cigarette considering the nonchalant part it seem to play.... 

cheyenne7

I'm glad you didn't smoke friend.....but you have to admit, looking back that was a funny dream....

elvan

I have thought about it a lot today trying to figure out what is in my poor mind...a PURPLE semi?  REALLY?  My husband WOULD do the negative thing and say that we were screwed and there was no way out of it.  Sometimes, I think he is Eeyore in a man's body.

trudyd

Crazy dream for sure!

maraisa

I had a smoking dream shortly after my husband and I quit smoking. I looked it up at the time cause I was kinda freaked out. I found that it's common after you quit because your mind still wants a cigarette and smoking dreams are tied to anxiety. 

"You are likely to still miss the smoking that used to occur during the day, so your mind compensates by showing you images of you smoking while you are asleep.  This type of dream is extremely common after giving up an addictive habit such as smoking, and many ex-smokers find that this will occur, at least for a while." (http://dreamstop.com/dream-symbol-smoking/)

Michwoman

To me, smoking dreams remind us of how bad we would feel if we broke down and smoked one!  Sounds like a crazy dream!! Glad it was only a dream right?

moody_9-18-13

Ellen, I'm coming across the mountain and YOU and I are going out to dinner. 

SOON, cause we need to talk! I had a horrible dream 2 nights ago. 

Love you! 

Moody

annb
Moody, contact me if you want to to go to the dinner date. We can meet up
kloud9

Dreams are so weird, smoking dreams are especially weird. and it's not just smokers. Heroin addicts get them too, also people who give up drinking (tho' i never had a drinkin dream when i stopped drinking). 

The explanation that our minds miss the smoking and compenstate for them is believable. their will probably be more smoking dreams to come but as long as you don't give in in real life then you b alright.

Keep Rockin Dat QUIT............

jacks1125

wow that is a crazy dream!! lol

Carol5

This is awesome!!! Why, cause I thought it was a childish thing I was going through. Really. I have been having these dreams for as long as 46 days now with today being 46. Each and every night I have a smoke in a dream, I am instantly woken up. Sometimes, I am all sweaty and having issues breathing. Others, I wake up so sick I throw up. Yes. It has been crazy for me. Thank you so much for starting this blog. Without reading yours, I may have started checking myself into the hospital. I really started thinking I was going crazy. With being a younger quit, I am a little shy with sharing things. I respect your courage for sharing this and again thank you.

Hugs.

Carol

maria86

Hi Elvan, thanks for sharing and Maraisa thank you too.  Its funny but when I was reading about the dream I felt it had many meanings, which they quite often do.  One of them was that the terrorist, (maybe the nicoderm), made me do it!  Just a thought......

About the Author
Retired RN, worked ICU/ER developed RA in early 90's, unable to work because of brittle bones from high dose steroids. Diagnosed with COPD 5 yrs ago but sure it was there and progressing long before. Live with severe chronic pain, degenerative disc disease, had both upper lobes of my lungs removed in 2015. Struggle with shortness of breath. Work in son's cafe as a cashier 2 days a week to be around people. I am a people/animal person. Lost my home and three cats in a fire on my ten month anniversary of quitting smoking. Never thought of smoking, knew it wouldn't help anything.