cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Sleepiness, comorbidities and not smoking

Wozlik
0 7 129

Hello group - I’m really grateful to have found this group.  Today is day 4 of not smoking and I am sleeping a lot.  The sleeping problem started after Covid in March 2020 and gets better and worse.  I haven’t been back to normal energy since that time.  I’m a bit worried unsure about the timeline on things because of Covid brain, but I now have COPD, congestive failure with normal ejection fraction and pulmonary hypertension.  

I have not smoked several times over the last couple of years -from several weeks to a few months at a time.  Now I believe I have to be really committed.  I sleep up to 20 hours a day.  Recently I’m having trouble breathing/shortness of breath.  I’m using a nebulizer 3 x day and an inhaler a couple of times a day.  I guess I’m mostly surprised that things got bad so quickly.  Until about 3 months ago I had very minimal, very occasional shortness of breath and then I was put on another type of medication and had a reaction that really messed up my breathing.  I use oxygen, but don’t see that it helps.  My pulse oximeter is usually 92-95. But I have a lot of phlegm and hard coughing.

I’m drinking a lot less coffee without smoking.  I was put on Adderal for sleepiness after Covid diagnosis, but it has never worked that well.  So I know that there are issues when quitting and I’m sure the sleepiness impart of it. I’m drinking lots of water, moving around, eating protein, veggies, fruit. Staying away from bread,sweets.  Would someone just remind me that this too shall pass and I will be so happy to be a non-smoker?  Thanks.

7 Comments
About the Author
My avatar shows me eating honey my grandson’s bees make. I’m 75 year (someone told me I’m only 71 - someone can do the math born 11/08/1952) old with 60 year smoking habit. Grandmother to 14 amazing humans and soon to be a great grandmother. Six wonderful children who deserve to have a mom who doesn’t smoke and stays as healthy as possible for as long as possible. I’ve lived urban, suburban and rural places. Worked at many jobs from plastic injection molding and waiting tables to teaching and journal editing. Retired, divorced, long Covid. Looking for what the next universe has in store for me next.