cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Six weeks smoke free

VjeanPP1
4 6 235

And I want to feel like a winner, but I am really struggling now.  All I have is my will-power, the promise I made to myself and it will have to be enough- but it is not easy and I cannot believe how these urges are kicking my a** still right now.

I went to a memorial service for one of the friends I lost June 19th.  I had been  so looking forward to it.  This was the first funeral I’d been able to attend in over a year, because of the pandemic, despite other losses.  Service was great- the memories, the hugs and laughter, even the common tears some of us couldn’t help shedding.  I was fine during all of it, and the dinner afterwards, but on the way home- still processing all the memories with my friend- one comment got stuck in my brain.  I’m sure it was the addiction’ s voice, so I try to to ignore it.  

One of her other friends talked about the great times we’d shared taking cigarette breaks.  At the time, I laughed along with others. But on the over hour long drive home, I almost lost it.  The pain of her loss and such a violent, urgent memory struck me like a brick upside my head.  And unlike other urges, didn’t end in a few minutes- or kept coming back the whole ride home,, along with my tears..

But I made it home without giving in.  I know that as bad as I was feeling having a cigarette won’t help.  I know it is just the addiction shouting.  So I’m reminding myself that quitting/staying quit is a continuing struggle.  I was reminded of the today.  It ducks!

Unfortunately I can’t ever quit and be done.  And as sad as that makes me, the pain of it all I’m dealing with now, I am determined to stay quit.  NOPE, NMW!!!

And still the urge to smoke is shaking me, but I’m going to take a nap now.  Hope when I wake up the addiction’s voice will be silenced— or at least is not so loud.  I am so sad that my friend is gone, but I am a non-smoker today, tomorrow and for forever, even when I’m struggling.  I might not feel like a winner today, but tomorrow I will.  At least I hope so.😪

6 Comments