Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Since I tried to stop smoking I feel sick

Ultralynn5
1 14 253

Why would I leave cigarettes  where I can see them

14 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Doesn't matter why - you need to put them under running water and then in the trash.  Keeping ANY around is just giving yourself permission to fail.

We ALL were anxious when we quit, not knowing what to expect.  You need to take back control!  Take back the power you have allowed the addiction to take from you.

Quitting never killed anyone!  The same cannot be said about cigarettes.  Remind yourself of that early and often.

You CAN beat this addiction, but you must commit to the process 100%.  You must make a decision that you will not smoke another cigarette NO MATTER WHAT.

Nancy

JonesCarpeDiem

In what way do you feel sick?

Nicotine affects the body in many ways. It can especially affect the digestive system. For some reason, nicotine helps our digestive systems peristalsis function work better. This is why many people get constipated after they've quit. This typically resolves itself in a month as the body adjusts to not having nicotine.

Barbscloud

@Ultralynn5 We already gave you some responses to your other post about feeling sick.

As far as having cigarettes around, most quitters can't do that without being tempted.  Just get rid of them.  You can do this!

Stay busy and stay close.

Barb

maryfreecig

I would think that you'd leave cigarettes where you can see them because you want to leave the door open to smoking. If you are forcing yourself to quit, you end up arguing with yourself. That's the hardest way to quit, maybe near impossible. Being willing to quit doesn't mean that it's easy (been there) but at least you put yourself on your own side rather than against yourself. 

intltech

Hi my new best friends. My name is Lee, I am 67 years old. 👴

After many attempts to quit smoking I have finally managed to, somewhat, accomplish it! I quit January 11th, 2023. Over a year and a third now, but who's counting!?

Obviously, I am!!! 😁

Every single day and every single night I am still craving that puff. It is just beginning to get a little easier but, for me, I suspect it will be a long and anxious journey.

I have just signed up for this chat room because I am looking for a support team. I no longer have anyone in my life whom can participate or communicate with me on this subject.

My comments are all about this group subject: "Since I tried to stop smoking I feel sick."

Unlike others, I became severely sick the very day I quit. I smoked my last cigarette 4 am on Jan. 11th, by 6 pm, my wife had to call 911 emergency services who took me away in an ambulance. Final diagnosis was simply a "touch of COPD" per the doctors. Sent me to a Pulmonologist who had prescribed some steroids and inhalers that I was on for several months.

You think that was bad? The steroids crystalized my slight cataracts and caused me to be 98% blind during the following 4 months until I was able to get the cataract surgeries, one eye at a time, 45 days until the second one.

So, I can go on with my personal tale of woes but, not yet certain any of you are interested in hearing more as yet.

The bottom line is this... It IS possible to get sick from quitting smoking. Your body is detoxing like any other drug and you might have withdrawal symptoms. My experience was called the "Smoker's Flu!"

THis wasn't the first time I quit over 50 years of smoking but, it was the first time I ever had gotten sick from quitting!

I probably would have gotten sick anyways had I not quit.

It will definitely be interesting to hear your views and thoughts on this subject.

By the way, to address the comment by UltraLynn5 about leaving the cigarettes where you can see them - I taped my 3/4 pack of cigarettes to my wall intentionally. It was there to remind me that I quit and that, if need be, I still had some cigarettes left in an emergency so not to go out and buy a new pack. Of course I knew that they would be stale months later. It was like the spare tire in my car or the fire extinguishers around my home; hoping never to need them but knowing it was there just in case.

I finally gave the cigarettes away as well as all my purchase coupons to a guy that couldn't afford his smokes but would not quit.

There may be a reason for everything!

Looking forward to hearing from all of you great folks!

Kindly,

Lee

YoungAtHeart

@intltech 

Welcome and congratulations on your quit!  

Although I saw your response I fear most in the community may not.  To remedy that, I recommend you write a blog to introduce yourself to the community (Ex Community-top left; then center blue box-"Post a Journal/Blog").  You might include your nicotine use history, what delivery system you are using, why you want to quit, your quit date if you have set one, and anything else about yourself you care to share.  You will reach a wider audience this way.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Nancy

intltech

Hi Nancy.

I did not anticipate such a quick reply.

Also, I wish to apologize for bending everyone's ears (or eyes)!

I will look into your suggestions soon. However,although great professional recommendations, I am not seeking a wider audience.

I identified with the 2 concepts of this particular posting.

Feel free to communicate with me at any time. From your profile badges (a ton of them), in which I had no idea existed, I presume you are involved with this organization and are a regular! Kudos! 

Do you have any input on my specific babble? 😉

CommunityAdmin
Community Manager
Community Manager
biscuit9

@intltech  I find your entire "tale of woe" interesting.  I had to reread "Every single day and every single night I am still craving that puff"; you have been quit 1.5 years nearly.  That's alotsa craving, my friend.  You will find people on this site to converse with and to support you. I am quit 1 year, 224 days.  New quitters come here regularly, looking for some sage advice, as well.  No need to apologize for your long post.  

What I take from your post is, you were determined to quit, no matter what.  I didn't have cravings the first 2.5 days of my quit,  but when they came I wanted to dial 911 and be taken to the hospital, but you beat me for sure cos you actually went to the hospital.  You were probably wanting a smoke, also.  I just cannot fathom what kind of a moment that was for you and I would be interested in "the rest of that story".  I also promise not to use steroids to hurry up my cataract surgery.  Sure hope your eyes are okay.  I also had cigs in my house when I quit, but I don't publish that, because of the new quitters.   The only reason I did that is because I know ME.  There's a store about 10 mins away and absolutely nothing to stop me from going.  I burned them in a private ceremony a couple mos later but I never cheated and smoked a one of them.  I've never heard of anyone getting as sick as quick as you did.

YoungAtHeart

@intltech 

"I probably would have gotten sick anyways had I not quit."  I think you have probably hit the nail on the head!  That being said, I am not a doctor, and have NO idea if a COPD flare could result from a change in nicotine intake.  Might be something to explore with your pulmonologist?

You are to be congratulated for not losing your quit with the sight issues.  I am not sure I would have been as strong!  I am glad that is behind you!  

I guess if we considered your journey as one similar to falling dominoes you might connect the sight issues with quitting smoking, but I think that's a stretch.  Seems to me those were caused by the steroids, needed for the COPD, caused probably by smoking!!!

I am sorry you are still craving often.  That must indeed be difficult.  Have you tried changing up your routines so the associations are reduced?  Even doing things in a different order might help.  You might also try distracting yourself when a craving hits to change your response to it.  Might help, too.

I have all those badges because I have been a volunteer here for almost 12 years, and have participated almost daily most of that time.  I had never tried to quit until continuing was more frightening than quitting, and found the information and support here I needed to be successful.  I have continued to hang around to pay it forward!

I wish you a successful quit!  Hang around!  We can help!  Ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it.

Nancy

intltech

Dear Biscuit9 & YoungAtHeart Nancy,

Thank you both for such wonderful support, information and help.

I am, unfortunately, having a stressful week so I will come back in a couple of days to elaborate.

Just didn't want another moment to go by without providing my heartfelt thanks to people so caring and selfless. Thank You!

Kindly,

Lee

intltech

Dear Danielle, EX Team,

Thank you for the resource links.

I will review as soon as I can.

Do you require any input afterwards?

Kindly,

Lee

YoungAtHeart

Good to hear from you!

Don't forget to BREATHE!