cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Shouldn't have been so hard?!?

Nyima_1.6.13
0 8 19

Sometimes I come here to read and I wonder, "What am I doing here, why do I need so much support,why has this been so hard?" !

OK, so I smoked 2/3rds of my life away but it has been a great life! I grew up in a wonderful family and I continue to have a wonderful and supportive family!  My life has not been particularly stressful, just a nice ordinary life. I love learning and have always been a 'curious monkey' so getting an education was fun! My job can be extremely stressful but I no longer have to work,I choose to because it is also very fulfilling work! I have two wonderful big warm and fuzzy dogs that greet me at the door everyday with tails wagging! My poor husband has put up with insane moodiness since I started this quit and has been far more patient and kind than I have been with myself! I have not suffered any big loses or changes in my life for quite some time! I am very lucky to still have my health! My life is really pretty normal and pretty great! I am thrilled to be done with smoking but I do worry about what might happen if the going gets tough, which it will because that's what happens in life!

I know the answer to my questions is pretty simple...I have been addicted to nicotine pretty much my entire life, I am an addict! Right now I have a pretty simple plan: no matter what happens in the future, I will bite into a lemon and come here screaming for help before I would ever light up! Thank you all for being my lifeboat!

8 Comments
Jules7

I agree with you! Reaching out saved my quit yesterday and today I started my day coming here to check in. Life will ebb and flow with stresses so knowing to reach out is important. I'm glad you're here!

JonesCarpeDiem

Good Plan!

mygirls-6-5-17

I like your style!  You have a wonderful life, and now you know for sure that smoking was adding nothing to it, only taking away from it!

YoungAtHeart

As long as you recognize you are an addict and keep the Addict;s Law uppermost in your mind, you will be just fine.  It's those who DON"T who get into trouble.  We must know and BELIEVE that there is no such  thing as "just one" cigarette or one puff.

Pretty sure you've got this - but we'll be here, just in case you need us.

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

Thomas3.20.2010

That's what we all have in common! Some of us have had a simple life - others have had more than their share of challenges; some have a comfortable personal finance and others live on a string; some of us have health and others have health challenges; but we're all Addicts who live by the Law of Addiction!

The Law of Addiction 

"Administration of a drug to an addict will cause

re-establishment of chemical dependence

upon the addictive substance."

And we all need help to get ourselves FREE!

Strudel

You have the attitude needed to do this! So - you are doing it with great success! Congrats on your quit! 

cory-3-10-13

What a great blog! I can echo that fear of "what will I do when things get tough".  I worry about that, too.  I can't see myself going out and buying cigarettes today, but I do worry about tomorrow, and the day after that, and after that....on and on.

Someone on this site (was it you possibly, Nyima?) had mentioned that if they were going to have a cigarette then they would have to go out and buy a whole carton, because they knew that smoking one sickerette would eventually lead to smoking the rest of the carton.  In a weak moment I might be able to imagine myself taking a puff, but I can't really see myself buying a carton, so to me that was pretty powerful.  There is no way I'm spending over $60 to buy a carton of death and in the time it takes to get to the store and actually fork over the cash for it, I bet I could talk myself out of it.  I'm never smoking again.  This is just "insurance" to trick my addicted brain! 

mayagg

Hi Ny,  Great to hear from you.  Many words of wisdom. Yes, this site helped me get back on track when I slipped (early in my quit) and was tempted by "shit happening."  Please remember, as I did, that when times get tough, smoking doesn't help or solve things. Enjoy those fluffy dogs and great hubby smoke/smelly -free!!! Hugs, M