cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Sharing the Joy of Freedom

ReallyReal
8 14 327

Tomorrow I will have 6 months of freedom in my new, tobacco free life. I am thrilled about that.  For the longest time I hated the fact that I "was a smoker" but figured I was simply doomed to remain one because quitting was just too hard and not something I was capable of doing successfully.  I am so grateful that that was just another lie the addict brain was telling me.  Quitting was absolutely something I could do, I just had to make the choice to do it and then prepare for it and actually follow through--not easy, but doable.  Smoking had become such a huge part of my identity that now, as someone free from.smoking, I am having to learn all sorts of things about coping with life.  I can't hide behind my cloud of smoke, excusing myself every time a situation gets uncomfortable by saying I need to go take a puff.  It is an adventure, not always easy, that has me rejoicing at my new found freedom even on days when I feel like crap.  One thing I find myself doing a lot is sharing my joy in being free and the story of my smoking journey with everyone and anyone who will listen.  I can't seem to shut up about it.  Maybe some folks find that annoying--as a smoker, I would have!!  I kind of feel like a traveling preacher, talking to people all the time about how cessation is possible for anyone who chooses it.  Like many of us here, I've done some research on the addiction, looked at what works for quitting and know what worked for me to get free.  I love sharing this with others.  I know that all I can do is plant the seed and people will make up there own minds.  I don't know if I have had anything to do with this, but one friend quit smoking two weeks ago and another friend is considering giving up vaping.  It really doesn't matter if I did or did not influence these people's decisions to quit.  What matters is they are quitting.  I rejoice with my friend who already quit and encourage my friend who is thinking about it.  We each have a sphere of influence and just by our example we can inspire others.  I am so encouraged by everyone here on Ex and I hope to continue to share the joy of freedom for years to come.  Thank you so much for helping me to.stick with my quit on days that were rough.  I did it, you can too.  I know you can.  Cheers.

14 Comments
About the Author
I am 59 years old and love my four dogs and two cats, all strays I couldn't turn away. I love to be outside in my yard, watching the birds or puttering around in the dirt. I am so grateful that I let go of those inner voices that kept telling me, It is too late to quit smoking, or, Why quit now? I am so looking forward to being smoke-free.