cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Separation & Delay Tactics

Storm.3.1.14
0 16 23

While I am tracking my smokes, EX suggests I think about separating from these cigarettes and then practicing some "delay tactics". And Kevin graciously encouraged me to begin separating now. (Thanks!) So, last night, I applied some methods to my evening routine. Here's what I did...

1. Instead of smoking the moment I got home from work, I cooked supper instead, ate slowly in peace, and then allowed myself only 1 cigarette afterward. (I would have smoked maybe 3 by this point.)

2. Instead of watching television shows and stepping outside to smoke during the commerials, I put on a movie ("Alexander The Great") and contentedly watched the entire 2 hours, non-stop, without smoking. (Ordinarily, I would have smoked 4 or 5 in that same timeframe.)

3. After the movie, I smoked 1 cigarette. Then, I came to EX, read some blogs, sent a few messages, got in bed a bit earlier than usual, read my novel for 45 minutes, and turned out the lights. These constructive distractions saved me another 4 cigarettes or so!

All of this taught me a vauable lesson: The vast majority of my evening cigarettes are just "mindless smokes" that could easily and comfortably be avoided if I just preoccupy myself with other things. Constructive things. Different things. New things.

Tonight and throughout this weekend, I'm going to continue separating from my old evening routines and the mindless cigarettes that come with it. I'm going to explore all manner of alternatives to see which ones stand out as real candidates for my totally revamped, reconstructed, reimagined evening lifestyle.

I'm excited about this!

STORM

p.s...I am downloading the PDF of Carr's book onto my tablet, and will be carrying it with me all weekend in order to begin reading it and studying what it might offer.  

16 Comments
LouiseR

Exellent Storm. You are preparing yourself for your forever quit!! 

newlife5

this is a good start are you going to be using a NRT?...

YoungAtHeart

You are SO doing this the correct way, and I am happy to hear it!  Preparation and planning really ARE two keys to success at this.

As you move along, don't pare down your smoking to 5 or less cigarettes in a day.  Doing so unnecessarily puts you in constant withdrawal and is more uncomfortable than needed.  If you get down to 5 - it's time to just quit.

Carry on!

Nancy

Storm.3.1.14

Thanks, ladies! And thanks, Nancy, for that very specific nugget of advice. I will heed it whole-heartedly!

Chris265

I found the “delay” tactic to be the most helpful.  Once you quit and have that crave, you know how to “delay” for 5 minutes and a crave lasts only 3 minutes so you are set until the next crave.

Also plan your Quit Kit.  For me it was brisk walks (Exercise will give you some of the dopamine you are no longer getting from nicotine), carrot sticks (not baby carrots), celery sticks and Dum Dum lollipops.  There are lists on this site of 100 things to do when you want to smoke, so you have a lot of choices.

In terms or readings - I also liked www.quitsmokingonline.com.  There is also http://www.whyquit.com.  There are a ton of educational articles.  One on left on Nicotine addiction is especially helpful in understanding why you smoke.

And notice the positive effects.  They come quickly and its easy to notice and then forget.  Better breathing in 3 days, whiter teeth, lower blood pressure ….

Storm.3.1.14

Thanks, Chris! I've already decided that this weekend will be my "cram session"; I finally feel open to stepping outside of EX in order to read and explore all the numerous extra resources that have been suggested. I'm actually very excited about it! I will visit the websites and such instead of smoking. Perfect delay tactics and separations!

SarahP

Practice and prepare, that's what it's all about. Fear comes from the unknown -- if you know what to expect, it's much easier to manage. Keep going! 

Storm.3.1.14

Thanks, Sarah!

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Rock on Storm - you are headed in the right direction and I totally agree with Nancy, even tho you are down to 5 the nicotine just keeps feeding the demon. Its time to starve that little bast**d....

Only Good Thoughts!

Ms. "J"

helenb208

so proud of you, just stay focused, and postive and you will make it, you know what you want, now just grab it. Helen. 

Storm.3.1.14
Yes, ma'am, Ms. J & Helen!
Strudel

You are doing great! "New things" - Exactly! Change things up a bit! Also, great idea to do the reading! It made such a big difference for me.....I suddenly realized that so much of what I thought about smoking was NOT TRUE! I smoked for 40 years - it was so enlightening! I quit - hung out here for support - and the rest is history! (It was about 1350 days ago!) You CAN do this! 

Ladybug--7-3-12

Along with "delay" tactics & being mindful of when you are smoking, you might want to consider changing WHERE you physically smoke so you can begin to disassociate from these cues/places.  All of these things gives you a headstart on breaking your smoking habits/behaviors.  You will find that not smoking in your "normal" places just like changing up the times you smoke will cause you, as a natural consequence, not to be as satisfied with smoking & therefore less smoking.  Your openness to learn & willingness to change will make you a WINNER.  Patty d598  

luxie

Hi Storm,

You are doing an excellent job already preparing yourself for the big Day. I dont know about you but I cant wait for March 1st..This will be your Quit for life, I can sense it..

Marion

Thomas3.20.2010

I found it helpful to keep lists of what worked. I had a list of activities that could draw me away from my smoke thoughts. You did just right because you didn't focus on depriving yourself or try to use willpower, you just focused on things you enjoy so much that they take priority over smoking. As you build your new smoke free you there will be lots of time for you to get into hobbies you've avoided for "lack of time." Satying busy helps get through those first couple of weeks of abstention.

Geist

That's AWESOME, Storm!  Way to go!  You'll have this licked before you know it!  If you're anything like me, the closer you get to your quit date, the more excited you'll become!

If I may suggest, stock up on carrot sticks (like Chris said, NOT baby carrots,) celery sticks, sugar free gum, and maybe some lollipops. They've been helpful for me and you might benefit from them as well!

Like everyone else here, I'm super excited for you and the journey you are embarking on!

Keep up the excellent work, Storm!