cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

STRESS

Storm.3.1.14
0 7 11
  One of the hardest things for me to hear around this community was “smoking does not relieve stress”. Hogwash! It most certainly does! For an ex-smoker to claim otherwise is appalling!

But, once I wrapped my mind around the   deeper truths, it made a lot of sense.

First, back in the days when we had never touched a cigarette, we dealt with stress in any number of ways that did not require smoking. In the moments just before we took the stage in the middle school Thanksgiving assembly, we never once chain-puffed a Marlboro Red because of our stage fright. We simply took a deep breath, waddled across the stage, and just…did it. This one example reminds us that we were always supposed to handle stress without the need for cigarettes or smoke breaks.

But, we did end up using cigarettes and smoke breaks, so let’s talk about that now…

When we smoked a cigarette on a very peaceful day, we got a mood-boosting high from the nicotine. But, when our bodies metabolized that nicotine, we got a nerve-prickling crash from drug withdrawal. We felt antsy and irritable and needy, and we had to smoke again to fix it. In this way, even on a calm day, smoking a cigarette deliberately set us up for craving and using another cigarette. You see, it perpetuates the hunger for itself, and feeding that hunger cycle, in turn, places a stress on us. A specific stress that we would be oblivious to, had we never smoked a day of our lives.

Now, on a hectic day, when we experience an outside stressor that is not nicotine related, the act of smoking can distract us away from any actions we could be taking to deal with the stressor. Procrastinating with a smoke break does not address the stressor. It’s an emotional delay tactic we use to hide from the problem, to stuff the trouble down, and bury it under a “high” until the stress (hopefully) goes away.

On the flip side of this scenario, we are free to stomp away from the stress in order to cuss, to shout, to cry, to breathe, to collect our thoughts, to plan, and to act. All these things can happen   without smoking a cigarette on top of it. And   billions of non-smoking (and ex-smoking) people across the planet already practice these exact things, every day, in times of stress. No smoking required.

Throw in the fact that, over the course of a nicotine addiction, it takes more and more of the drug to reach a level of “normal” that is   less than the level of actual normal that a non-smoker enjoys., and you’ll see that cigarettes never relieve us a fully as is naturally possible, otherwise..

And let’s not even think about the intentional stress and sorrow you’ll wallow in for days and days if you purposely throw away your quit because of some stressful “whammy” that only lasted 7 minutes. 

Yes, smoking a cigarette does relieve the stress of the high-low, up-down cycle that the cigarette is guilty of creating in the first place. And, yes, it does provide a handy escape for avoiding the task of facing stress.

However…

Smoking is not a   teachable stress-  reducing tool.
  Smoking is not   proactive against stress, it is   reactive to stress.
  It is not a   healthful method of   solving problems.
  It is not an   enduring, long-lasting stress relief.
  It is not an   emotionally-authentic means of   dealing with situations.
  It is not an   effective coping mechanism. 
  How could it ever be   genuinely effective? 
  It’s either causing stress, itself, or enabling you to run and hide from stress!

No, smoking does not   fundamentally relieve stress, my friends.

Not in the ways we thought it did.

So, let’s think differently now.

STORM: 417

7 Comments
bonniebee

Stress is a huge trigger for me . Would you say anger is a form of stress or anger causes stress ?  I am asking this because Anger seems to be the hardest trigger that I have to deal with when it comes up . 

Strudel

I still remember how I felt when I first read that "smoking doesn't help you handle stress".... I thought it was the nuttiest thing I had ever heard! It turned out that I only THOUGHT it was relieving stress. All part of the the brainwashing! The never ending cycle of smoking, withdrawal, smoking, withdrawal, - now that is stress! 

Another great blog Storm! 

Storm.3.1.14

Bonnie, for our purposes as EXers, I would say that they are one and the same. Stress can cause anger and frustration and fear and sadness; any feeling or situation that takes us out of our usual comfort zone (anger) causes a stress.

In this way, anger flare-ups or looming deadlines or sudden shocks of bad news can all be dealt with in similar (identical?) ways.

Your anger is a stressful episode that CAN be handled in many ways that do NOT involve a cigarette.

djmurray

We all thought that smoking reduced stress -- and even non-smokers buy that because of the brainwashing that we have in our society.  I've talked to at least three smokers in the last WEEK who've said they would quit but it's the only thing that relieves stress.  In all cases I've suggested reading Allen Carr, because if I start preaching they will go all glassy-eyed.  

Once again, Storm, you've hit the nail on the head.  Love your blogs.

Mrs.Rum

I kind of came to that truth by yelling at my kids between quits.  I'm sorry to say - but I realized I got as wound up when I was smoking as I did when I wasn't so I couldn't say the smoking was actually helping.  It didn't change a damn thing. 

But when I realized that even though I wasn't smoking I could still leave the room if I needed to breathe...oh hey look!  Now we're actually reducing stress by actively managing the situation.

Nicotene =  liyah, liyah, pants on fiyah.

ms-sha

this is so true smoking does not relieve stress it mask whats going on and then u back to the stress with in 20 min

NewEnglander

Stress is my hardest and biggest trigger. I have several papers tacked around my home.  Things like "May I be peaceful, May I be happy , May I be free from suffering, May I be filled with loving kindness.  Repeating this over and over breaks the stress train and the ride to cigarette depot..  Have a grand day all.