cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

STAY SAFE - BE PREPARED

Giulia
4 21 149

Mike n @lanta and I just had a recent exchange in which he said he had a craving out of the blue which blindsided him last night and it lasted quite a while.  He asked if this also has happened to me at this stage of the game.  He’s coming up on an 11 year quit, I’m at 9 ½ years.  You know what my reply was?  “YEEEEEEEES!”  For I had an in-your-gutface doozy of a craving yesterday too.  I had to pull out all my early quit tools to get through it.  And interestingly, for both of us, there was no specific trigger that set our cravings in motion.  But they were Day One in intensity for me,  and I’m guessing for him too.  He didn’t want to blog about it for fear of scaring newbies.  Since I think a dose of reality is always a good thing and I’m the “Tell it like it is” kid - I’m telling it like it was.  Because you need to understand the nature of this journey and BE PREPARED.

I have a file of “Blogs in the Making” on my computer.  This is one that I wrote back in September of 2013.  I  think it’s appropriate to pull it up now and finish it.
---------------
What do you expect to happen when you quit?  Do you expect instant results?  Do you think because you’ve heard that the nicotine is out of your body after three days that you won’t experience cravings any more?  Is there a time line you have in mind when the cravings should be totally gone?  If you think that - think again.

In my journey I thought that once I reached a certain “place,” a certain point, I’d suddenly be free of cravings forever.  That I’d somehow cross a special Quit Craving Line where all cravings ceased.  But like the International Date Line or the earth’s time zones - there’s no out of body experience.  You don’t notice a thing when you cross from Eastern to Central to Pacific Time.  Nor do you feel a thing when your cross the Continental Divide.  There is no fixed date in Quitland when all cravings are gone forever.  Nor is there an amount of time of being quit when you will never experience a craving again.

Talk to any long-term quitter and they will tell you to always watch your back.  Why?  Because from experience they know that sometime, somehow,  somewhere, when you least expect it the Candid Camera of cravings will come upon you.  And you’d better be prepared.

ARE you - prepared?  Have you looked at all the possible trigger scenarios?  If not - do so.  Have an emergency plan in place?   Do you have a preparedness kit for that natural disaster of a craving which will knock your socks off and leave your reeling thinking “how can this be after all this time???”

Part of that Emergency Kit should contain an email address, or phone number of someone you can SOS who will  protect you with the torch of positive reinforcement.   You don’t even actually need an email address.  The EX Blogs is an email address all by itself.  And within that heart-pool of wisdom there are many upon whom you can rely to shake your craving mind back to sanity.  Create a Quitdress book with links to the pages of those strong supporters with whom you identify.  PM them when in crisis mode.  That’s what they’re there for!
-----------------
This is not meant to scare you newbies.  (But it IS meant to scare you oldbies!).  Cravings like what Mike and I just experienced aren’t an every-day occurrence.  That’s why they’re such a shock to us.  Our normal days are not filled with hankerings for cigarettes whatsoever.  So don’t you worry.  We aren’t lying when we say it’s gets easier and that there will come a day when you won’t think about smoking at all.  BUT there may also come a day, a long way down the line, when you do.

So be prepared.  Stay safe.  Stay connected.   And don’t be stooooopid!

21 Comments
TerrieQuit

First of all I feel so blessed to have "oldbies" like you and Mike that still come here and share because all don't. some get Nic. free and move on. So Thank you so much.

Also I am one that hoped there would come that time that I could feel "SAFE". Even though my Dad Quit 20 some years ago and he tells me that every once in awhile he gets surprised. with a blast from nowhere. I thought he was just saying it to keep me on my toes. He has been after me to quit since he quit. I was in my 30's. Oh well better late than never. He is proud. Thanks for the heads up!

Terrie

bonniebee

You say it was out of the blue but I am curious.... what were you doing or where were you or what were you thinking about when you got the crave ?

My BF quit for 8 years and then suddenly started smoking again and continued for at least a year and then quit again for another 8 years  ...I was smoking at the time so in a "sick way " I was secretly happy she was smoking with me again because  it took away the guilt I had smoking in front of her !  I never asked her why she started  smoking again  after quitting for 8 years but I would  bet it was stress that triggered her ! She passed away  1 1/2 years ago I miss her very much !

JonesCarpeDiem

I don't have to hold my breath do I?

Barbara145

NOTHING could make me smoke.  After 52 years of smoking to be finally free is a gift I will treasure until I die. Great blog about reality, Guilia.  The newbies shouldn't fear it.  The rewards for quitting are absolutely wonderful.

JACKIE1-25-15

Wow Dale you made me laugh.  You are getting better.  Hopefully you will get your comedian certificate. lmho

Newfound_Joy

Best to be FOREWARNED!  Thank you, Giulia.  Every once in a great while, I will get a craving, but it is not a strong IN YOUR FACE type that you described.  It is always during or after a particular stressful situation that they come on for me.  When I hear myself saying "Geeze I want a cigarette", I immediately tell my brain "Get Lost!  You don't do that anymore."  And I change the subject in my head.  I NEVER allow myself to fantasize about smoking, because in reality it was ugly, disgusting, and a shameful experience.  I've worked too hard and too long to come this far smoke-free.  I have learned to love myself again.  I am motivated to do good, positive things in my life each day.

How could I possibly want to give all this up to start smoking again? Ugh!

Thank you so much for your honesty, because it is truly good for all of us to hear that elders can have very strong cravings on rare occasions.  What did Giulia tell all of us - to BE PREPARED because we never know when we may get a strong jolt from old Nic!  (He never gives up ya know.)

cpsono

I believe that if I smoked again, I would NEVER quit again.  So I'm going to hold on to THIS quit with everything I have!!!!!!   CP  86 DOF

jonilou

I'll tell you truthfully, I NEVER thought I would smoke again after 4 and 1/2 years of a precious quit. 

A few too many drinks and believe me this is not the first time I had anything to drink, on this particular night, it was a celebration and it seemed like everything was so wonderful, I can't explain it, but it seemed so easy to buy that pack and start smoking them like I'd never lost a beat.

Please take this seriously, be vigilant and NEVER let those thoughts take hold. Btw, 32 days of a second precious quit have taken place for a sadder but wiser me!

jonilou

Oh, and thank you, Giulia, you "tell it like it is" kid.

Mike.n.Atlanta

Thanks Giulia. I've gotta say that while it was happening I felt as if I'd never had a smoke free day in my life. It just seemed the most natural thing for me to do at that time was to smoke a cigarette. It was scarey but we train for these moments. I've practiced NOPE for so long it was the only thing I knew to do. Smoking was not an option.

Keep on keepin on y'all,

freeneasy

(-: I didn't want say that here either for fear of scaring new people. I just pretend that I HEAR YOU YELLING AT ME FROM TENNESSEE!  (-;

MarilynH

Thank you so much for sharing, I plan on being extra vigilant each and every day of my presious quit because I know how easy it would be to lose and I choose life over smoking. 

Marilyn 

YoungAtHeart

I had a monster crave last night, as a matter of fact!  Didn't last long - but darned if it wasn't there.

I blame Big Tobacco - think they might have put something in our air, or water?  Seriously why did THREE of us experience the same thing?  Something to ponder.............................hummmmmmmmmmmmm?

Nancy

Rick_M

At 6 1/2 years I get a small thought of smoking on occasion but nothing I would call a major crave. I think I have drilled into my mind there is no pleasure when you smoke ...it is an illusion of the addiction. The best thing about not smoking is ya just don't have to do it all the time...Freedom from it Folks.... I have never felt I might smoke since I quit and I am strong with my quit. Newbies have no fear...stay strong in your quit. It is just one day at a time.....

Eric_L.

Wow!  I've had some pain the past couple weeks and I'm told it will continue for ?maybe month/s.  Idk.  Anyway, at work on Monday I started thinking about drinking and smoking.  But, I'm conditioned to tell on my disease and I picked up a phone.  I haven't drank in 9 years.  But, I've found it can get harder to tell on your disease sometimes when you have more time.  Idk..  Great post.

lois2

ok thank you Giulia for that blog.

Legend

Thanks for posting this blog.  Yes we all need to be alert at all times even after 9 years. For me coming here helps reinforce my commitment that I made to stay away from smokes.  If I get triggered or have a smoking dream I always come here even if I can’t see well at the time because of my meds I take.  One time my eyes were so blurry I could hardly see any of the writing here because of my muscle relaxer but I came anyway and lurked around reading old blogs what I could see. I needed to read this blog so I don’t get cocky at 9 or 10 years and blow my quit being unprepared.

Christine 

froguelady

I know I will always be a nicotine addict but also know I don't have to feed the addiction. NEVER let down your guard against the nicodemon.

Thomas3.20.2010

One day at a Time! Always accepting what's there for what it is and then deciding to pull out that tool box and rummage around inside!

I do have these desires every few Months. Sometimes triggered - sometimes who knows?

This week for me is the fires in California blowing particles into our Colorado air. It makes me sick which makes me anxious and discouraged which gives me an "I don't care" attitude which turns on all the old Addiction tapes. So I just turn up the volume of the Freedom loving tapes and do my best to ignore the Addict Voice. 

Sometimes it works better than others. Right now I'm digging deeeeeep to find stability. 

And I will - I dislike the alternative! N.O.P.E.!

TerrieQuit

I remember this Giulia. I only had 46 days at that point and you relly made me alert! about watching my back! I always watch it! Thanks!

lisalhh

Boy, oh boy. What a scary set of blogs. But good scary. I'm a newbie who just suffered my first partial failure. These blogs are enough to make me want one! Instead, I think I'll stay on the site and try to work through it. Thanks, Giulia. We all need to realize the truth of our personal situations and take heed. I hope all you "oldies" will keep on keepin on so we newbies will stay on watch ... forever!

About the Author
Member since MAY 2008. I quit smoking March 1, 2006. I smoked a pack and a half a day for about 35 years. What did it take to get me smoke free? Perseverance, a promise not to smoke, and a willingness to be uncomfortable for as long as it took to get me to where I am today. I am an Ex but I have not forgotten the initial difficult journey of this rite of passage. That's one of the things that's keeping me proudly smoke free. I don't want to ever have another Day 1 again. You too can achieve your goal of being finally free forever. Change your mind, change your habits, alter your focus, release the myths you hold about smoking. And above all - keep your sense of hewmer. DAY WON - NEVER ANOTHER DAY ONE. If you still want one - you're still vulnerable. Protect your quit!