cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

SEVEN MONTHS!

elvan
0 35 472

Seven months ago today, I began my journey as a nonsmoker, an EX smoker.  There have been many ups and downs, many changes in my life, in my thinking; I have gotten support, advice, laughter, and so much love from the people on becomeanex.org. I have tried to send many people here when they asked me how I had quit.  I am not sure if anyone has followed but it is THEIR loss.  I remember reading people calling this their “forever” quit and thinking that I SO HOPED this would be MY forever quit.  I can say now that I really think it will be.  I will not tell you it has been easy, I have struggled just like lots of other people BUT, I have not taken that one puff, I have kept them away from my face.  I have learned to live without the anesthesia of nicotine.  I have had to FEEL things that I would have stuffed into smoking and it has been a real trip.  I encourage anyone who is just coming here to be patient…with yourself, with your family, with your friends.  I think it has been pretty difficult for some of my family members and friends because I was…shall we say, no “box of chocolates.”  I was grumpy and angry and I cried over things I usually would not have cried over.  I felt my moods swinging all over the place; this site told me how to deal with that, how to deal with the urges I would get out of nowhere.  I found that all of those urges or craves went away no matter what I did, I did NOT have to smoke.  YOU do not have to smoke. Wherever you are in your quit, take it one day at a time, sometimes one minute at a time. Don’t consider smoking to be an option, there is NO SUCH THING AS JUST ONE!  Thank you for celebrating with me. Love, Ellen

35 Comments
MarilynH

A SUPER DUPER CONGRATULATIONS TO YOU SEVEN MONTHS, FANTASTIC,  FABULOUS .I AM SO VERY HAPPY FOR YOU, ENJOY the REST OF THE DAY AND YOUR EVENING. CONGRATULATIONS AGAIN. 

trudyd

Congratulations to my friend Ellen!!!!You have helped me so much thru this journey and I am trying to follow in your footsteps and persevere......put my house on the market today hoping someone will love it as much as I have and swoop it up!!!!If I was closer I would take us both out for a wonderful dinner to celebrate!

Storm.3.1.14

Ellen, this WILL BE your Forever Quit because, every day now for 7 months, you have been designing it and building it to be nothing short of forever. So incredibly proud of you today, and in the days to come. HAPPY 7 MONTHS!!!!

suzanne41

Congratulations Way To Go

cookie804

so proud of you Ellen. You are an inspiration to me and I am happy to call you a friend. Thanks for all of your love and support.

LouiseR

Ellen you are AWESOME.  Congrats on 7 months.  Doin the happy dance for you!

Ms.J_11-10-2013

EL, I don't think I have to tell you how I feel~ you and I have been up, down, in , out, upside down, inside out, and all over the board.  I am only a few months ahead  of you but it has been a pleasure sharing this wonderful journey with you.  My proud of you is bubbling over the top! Lets sing shall we:

"Ding dong ole nic is dead, the wicked nic, the wicked nic, Ding Dong the wicked nic is dead".

xoxo

Jackie

Ms.J_11-10-2013

OH my gosh I  almost forgot!

Love you to the moon and back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Storm.3.1.14

JonesCarpeDiem

WOO HOO!

Brenda_M

Congratulations, Ellen!!!! You ROCK!!!

Deena-A-Yenni

Congrats!!

Junior7

7 months is awesome!!!!  Thanks for an inspirational blog!

promise_judy

Congrats Ellen, keep adding those days.

XOXO

Jennifer-Quit

Big congratulations Ellen!  I am a little behind you - so stay on course - and I will following you to the 6% club!

marilyn_marmac

The best way to create your future is to create it. You have created 7 months of a wonderful quit! There may have been hard times, but you over came and kept right on kicking. You've grown strong and you've helped so many people along the way.

Congratulations on your success, Ellen!

Posted Image

marilyn_marmac

*Should have been-----The best way to predict your future is to create it!

Polynha

Congratulations on 7 months! 

maryv

CONGRATS!!!! You are a great person!  So happy for you.  You have encouraged and helped me along the way!!!  84 days thanks to you and fellow exers here!!!

Magstoyou

Congratulations on 7 months Ellen

You have worked hard to protect your quit and you have done great!!

You are such an inspirition to others on this site!!

Keep going forward, you got this!!

Mag399d

cheyenne7

Man, am I so glad I happened to tune in to EX tonight!!!

CONGRATULATIONS........You are AWESOME!!!!!

Hugs ❤️

Strudel

Ellen - You have got this! Through so much - you have got this! THIS is your very special gift to yourself! You should be so very proud of yourself! Congrats on 7 months!!

Giulia

Grasp it, hold it, embrace it, nourish it, never let it go.  It just gets better and better.  That's the beauty of this journey.  Kudos!

pir8fan

Wooooo Hoooo!

cheryl_1-1-14

Congrats on 7 months Ellen!!!  I'm very happy for you.

summer-07-06-15

Congratulations on your 7 months.

Congratulations - You Did It

Newfound_Joy

Ellen, I have laughed with you, cried with you, prayed for you, and your persistent resolve and determination to keep on comin back just AMAZED me!  You have been such a blessing and BIG INSPIRATION to me, and I thank you for that.  You must be puffed up like a PEACOCK  right about now!! (and if I could post a pic on these blogs I would post one)  Anyone? 

I hope you had a fantastic day in celebration, and you keep right on doing what you are doing one day at a time.  I wish you CONGRATULATIONS on this HUGE MILESTONE in your life today!!!

GIGANTIC (((HUGS)))

sparky26

Congratulations to Ellen , And to Ellen's family and friends for seven smoke free months.

Way to go Ellen !  Keep taking care of you !

moody_9-18-13

Seven looks pretty doggone good on you! 

This is for you....Happy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

jacks1125

That is wonderfu,congrat on 7mos!!

zackie09_51214

Ellen, I must say this is one of the best blogs I've read! I am sorry for getting to it belatedly..but with the hours of the library you understand! I am so happy to see your positive outlook. You have no idea how much YOU have helped me, inspired me, you've helped me not only through struggles with cravings; you have been one to help me through the adversities I have gone through. I consider you to be a very very close and even more dearer of a friend. 7 Months IS something to be proud of. I know this will be your FOREVER QUIT! If you ever need to talk about anything you know I'm here for you! I wish I could give you a real big hug but millions of virtual ones will have to do...I want you to know you are always in our (my mom and I) thoughts and our prayers! I always look forward to hearing from you.

OxfordComa

You are so amazing, Ellen!!! Congratulations on your forever quit, girl!! 

joyeuxencore

Ellen you will always be ELVAN to me...hahahahahaha!!! I loved that name from the start with the black kitty...I always wonder why folks pick what they do. I chose 'joyeaux encore' because as I sat making a page it just popped into my head...I love the French language and it means 'joy again'...what I hoped to have again as a non-smoker. Well I do have joy again and it is clear you do as well...

Congrats! xo

Stac2

Belated congratulations on 7 months!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  That is FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XOXO,

Stac

OxfordComa

You effing rock, Ellen! You have totally got this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!

About the Author
Retired RN, worked ICU/ER developed RA in early 90's, unable to work because of brittle bones from high dose steroids. Diagnosed with COPD 5 yrs ago but sure it was there and progressing long before. Live with severe chronic pain, degenerative disc disease, had both upper lobes of my lungs removed in 2015. Struggle with shortness of breath. Work in son's cafe as a cashier 2 days a week to be around people. I am a people/animal person. Lost my home and three cats in a fire on my ten month anniversary of quitting smoking. Never thought of smoking, knew it wouldn't help anything.