Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Round up of my week as i hit the 70s

Nix
1 6 12
  Im in reflective mood again 🙂

Overall I am feeling sooo much better, so much calmer and my craves are reducing in intensity and frequency.

So whats changed? 

The obvious answer is more time has passed and I keep being told that time is important on this journey

Sleep has become very important for me. Its not that i need more sleep, its my reactions to less sleep that has changed. As a smoker, i would just light up and smoke through being tired and exhausted but those days are gone. I now have to sleep when im tired or i become overly irrational and crazy emotional. Wracking sobbing crying is not fun when it just kicks in for no apparent reason..... but there is a reason, im tired!! Hmm you would have thought that i would know that at my age but hey, im still learning about this new me without my crutch 🙂

Im being a bit nicer to myself. I have always set impossibly high standards and goals for myself and never celebrate my successes. I belittle what i acheive. Not anymore. Im celebrating this one big time. This is a huge acheivement.

Another important learning for me this week was from a wonderful message that Sheri sent me about quitting not being a destination but a journey. Somehow I had become so absorbed in my quit that it felt like i was having to endure something until a point in time and then it would be over. Not sure what point i was looking for, maybe the end of no mans land? But Sheri's  words made me realise that Ive done it already. I have quit smoking. Let me just say that again. 

I HAVE QUIT SMOKING

Done, decision made, action taken. Thats it. 
  All I have to do now is stick with that decision and not allow anything or anyone to change my mind.

So what benefits am i seeing from quitting for 70 days so i can remind myself if i ever do get tempted 

I can breathe!
  I can breathe deeply
  I do not wheeze anymore
  I do not cough anymore
  I sleep through the night 
  I wake up and can breathe straight away
  I do not smell like an old ashtray
  My breath is fresh
  The stains on my fingers are gone
  My tongue is healthy and not covered in thick dark brown gunge ( sorry, bit yucky that 1)
  My teeth are cleaner
  I can taste my food and relish the flavours
  I can walk without gasping for breath
  I can bend over and put my trainers on without gasping for breath
  I have walked further in the last 2 months than i have walked in probably 20 years
  My body is changing shape and feeling firmer from the walking
  And the clean washing smells oh sooooo lovely 🙂
  Life is great as a non smoker. I will stay strong 

Have an awesome day everyone and thank you all for your support. Everyones comments contribute to my state of mind which today is awesome 🙂

6 Comments
PennyLynn7407

YOU have an awesome quit going! YOU definitely are awesome! I've also found that recovery is a decision made at a fixed point of time, and yet a journey of keeping that commitment no matter what. And what a great attitude you have! An attitude of gratitude will get you everywhere!!!

JonesCarpeDiem

VERY GOOD.

Time is the healer if you are willingly taking the journey. If you are fighting yourself the whole way?, not so much.

YoungAtHeart

This IS a journey of relearning your life as an ex-smoker - and there are many discoveries about self along the way.

Keep traveling - you will discover more, and life just keeps getting better and better!

Nancy

crazymama_Lori

you have reached the bliss stage, told ya you'd like it 😉

elvan

Congratulations on getting up to the 70's.  It really does get easier and better and you have already noticed so many great benefits, thanks for sharing them.

shashort

Wow Nix awesome blog. Congratulations on the 70's days.  That's a great list you have going there.  I did the same thing to making a list of reminders of what I am grateful for in this nonsmoking journey.Keep strong!! Keeping going!! You got this. Sorry late responding been away from home a few days and behind in reading.  Congrats again my friend 🙂