Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Rough shape but NOPE carries the day

tburton1004
2 5 201

Shirley.png

Hi, all … I had my hip replacement surgery yesterday and everything went fine. I of course hardly sleep last night and I’m pretty painful, definitely no fun at all, just like those few couple weeks of being quit, isn’t it? Rather miserable, but you can see progress every day if you pay attention.

Hip surgery doesn’t seem to have much connection to smoking, but it does. Here’s what I’ve been thinking:

How fun (not) it would be to struggle out the back door with my walker so I could smoke on the deck.

Frankly, Shirley, the thought of lighting up makes my stomach turn over in a very unpleasant way. Never mind the cold weather.

Nicotine reduces blood flow significantly — it really slows down healing.

And nicotine contributes to bone loss.

It’s been my curse to be on the wrong end of orthopedic issues my whole life. I am so thrilled that for THIS one, I’m a clean machine. That’s freedom.

Cheers, my friends Terry 190 DOF

(10 more days until 200?! Wow, that’s crazy! And to think it just started back in May with just one day of not smoking)

5 Comments
About the Author
I am a recently retired artist, educator, filmmaker, and all-around slightly domesticated wild child who loves to howl at the moon. I am the daughter of two nicotine addicts, and my mom was also an alcoholic. She found AA and reclaimed her authentic seIf. She paid it forward and helped countless others find their way through. She had been a smoker since her high school days, as had my dad, and quit when my dad was diagnosed with very early stage lung cancer in 1993. They both quit on the spot, over 30 years ago, but my dear mom passed away from stage 4 lung cancer in May 2018. My dad was virtually crippled by COPD the last couple of years and he passed March 2023. I miss them both so much. Smoking killed both of them. I vowed all my life that I would never smoke, so go figure, for some idiot reason I started smoking in 2009. Now I’m free. I enjoy building tables out of reclaimed wood and love working in my shop. I have a massive model train project that has “this will take YEARS” written all over it! I love gardening, camping, reading, and drawing. I am married to the best of wives and best of women, over 15 years now. We’re looking forward to travels and adventures and just being together in this wonderful state of retirement!