cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Rough, Rough Morning

missellen
5 29 412

Holy smokes (pun sort of intended), this morning was bad, bad, bad. The worst it's been, actually. It is somewhat counter-intuitive that it gets more difficult the longer you go (at least for me).  

I bought a pack of smokes on my way to work.  I also got a soda. I haven't had caffeine since I quit either, so I decided I was going to do it up, apparently.  I felt weird and kind of panicky all morning.  I was agitated and full of nervous energy, but also really tired, too. I did not do any of my usual morning routine. I didn't go to the gym, I didn't get dinner prepped for when I get home, I didn't spend any time on this site. I tossed and turned on the couch  and then I took my blood pressure, which had gone back up to where it was on Sunday morning when I was still smoking.

That was just the catalyst I needed to make me decide to buy cigarettes, because I figured, what's the point?  That, coupled with reading all the stories yesterday of people going 3, 5,13 years without smoking, who then ended up smoking again; well, to say that stopping smoking felt extremely futile this morning is an understatement.

So, I bought them. I opened them up and pulled one out and smelled it and put it in my mouth. I sat there like that for a minute or two with the lighter in my hand, with heart thudding loudly and painfully in my chest and then I started to cry. Because, once again, I felt like a huge failure.  It didn't matter that I have a wonderful marriage to the love of my life or a great relationship with my family or great friends or a good job that I actually like. It didn't matter that I've been going to the gym and actually getting exercise for the first time in forever or that I had plans to do things around the yard and house this spring/summer--things that I've put off for years, because I would always get too winded to do any of them for very long. None of that mattered.  All that mattered was that, once again, in spite of anything else I may have accomplished in my life, I was not able to beat this and therefore was just an effing failure. 

Next to the deaths of my brother and father and grandmother and my moms's heart attack and broken hip, this was one of the worst moments I've ever experienced. That probably sound melodramatic, but it's true. So, I cried and wondered for the umpteenth time, why is this so, so hard for me to do???

I got out of the car and went to the trash can and threw the pack, the soda and the lighter away. I didn't smoke.  I wanted to smoke almost more than I've ever wanted to do anything, but I didn't. But, it scared the crap out of me (and still does) at how close I came. 

By this point, I was pretty much in the throes of a full-blown panic attack. I was shaking, dizzy, sweating--the works. So, I took a xanax and drove to the park near my house and sat there for a while until I calmed down. I called the hub and spoke to him for a bit and he made me laugh, as he almost always does, and I finally made my way to work. A little late, I might add, but I'm here, smoke free, barely. 

Please tell me that it does get easier.

29 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Oh, YES, it definitely - DOES.  I PROMISE!  If it didn't, I guarantee you there are folks on this site now who would not be because they would be smoking.

Please take a moment and think about what tools you could have used to get past this awful morning.  Maybe called your hubby BEFORE you went and bought a pack?  Maybe taken a quick walk in that park right out of bed?  Maybe played a computer game, or bought a special (decaf) coffee as a treat?  Make plans for the next difficult time NOW - there may not be another one this bad - but being prepared beats the heck out of what you just went through!

I cannot BEGIN to tell you how proud of you I am!  You DID it.  Hold that head high today and celebrate how well you are doing - because you ARE!

Hang in there!

Nancy

missellen

Thank you, Nancy.  That made me get a little misty!  Good misty, though!  

Jennifer-Quit

Of course it gets easier.  Most of us would not be here if it didn't.  I wish that I could tell you that it is over in a week - but that is just not true.  If you give it time - you will start seeing more good days than bad - and with time those bad days will be no more.  

Those stories about people who quit for a long time and started smoking - well those people chose to do that.  I choose freedom.  And I also wish for you freedom from nicotine  because it is a wonderful feeling!

Give it time.  Best wishes to you!

Anya

Oh my, I have been in your shoes too many times! Despite having direct experience of the countless benefits of not smoking, in a flash I threw it away because of seemingly unbearable stress. I'm so so proud of you! You came to your senses and made the healthy choice. Each day, each hour , each second of smoke-freedom will bring increased physicall and emotional health. This non-smoking state will feel NATURAL one day soon! Smoking will seem unnatural and unthinkable. You are doing great!

BTW, you have quit 2 major substances at once: nicotine and caffeine. You may consided adding back in some mild caffiene during these early weeks. Tea (black or green) has a small amount of caffeine, but also contains theanine, which has calming properties. Plus tea has antioxidents. I've heard that caffiene withdrawals can be pretty brutal.

Take care and nurture yourself today!

Anya

MarilynH

It really, really does get easier and easier with time under your belt, huge hug and Congratulations on getting through that horrendous rough patch, be proud of yourself for not relapsing and for throwing the smokes and the lighter plus the soda away, that took courage and dedication to do so congrats again and I thought this might help you too, I've shared this with a few people here I hope it helps.

FB_IMG_1509924643858.jpg

missellen

Yeah, I was thinking of caffeine as a trigger--the morning coffee with the cigarette.  I thought tea might have the same influence, but I think I'm going to give the green tea a try--I have a boatload of tea at my house, as I am generally a big tea drinker. But, I would always have that one cup of coffee in the morning...

JACKIE1-25-15

This quitting thing can almost drive you crazy.  Sounds like you want freedom really bad.  Hopefully this was a eye opener for you of how strong the addiction is in our lives.  Yes we may have 3,5,13 years quit but if we take the chance of one puff we are back to day one.  I also hope those cigs are drenched wet so you do not go in the trash and get them.  Been there done that.  In retrospect you have already written what you should have done.  HALT hungry angry lonely tired.  Yours was "tired" which can be a trigger miscued and have to be prepared for.  Quitting is a learning process.  You are doing great for this short period of time. 

Sometimes the pull of addiction wains so heavily on our brain that we have to pull it back and take control.  If only just slowing ourselves down and not becoming frantic.  Step back, slow down and take a deep breath.  I mean really breathe like you never have before.  Slowly inhale and exhale.  This is something that you can do automatically wherever you are.  Breathing worked for me.  Keep moving forward. Stay close, Hang tough you can do this. YOUR journey continues.  You say you barely made it, but you made it.  It is a very thin line when you first start this journey. Stay on the right side of the line.  Don't look back, keep it moving, one day, one minute, one hour, one episode. The best is yet to come if you NOPE no matter what. HALT

GyorgyiM

Caffeine AND Nicotine withdrawals? OUCH! OUCH! OUCH! ...Get some caffeine in you in the morning, just don't participate in the old rituals. I use to sit outside and drink my coffee and smoke. I now sit indoors and drink my coffee and read the news and entertainment on my phone...You CAN find a substitute routine, and still enjoy your cup of java.. Don't put sooooo much pressure on your nervous system right now....Coffee wont kill you but nicotine WILL!

You NEVER have to go through those feelings again !!! Make that choice, Make that decision! MAKE the changes necessary...

Miles of Smiles...

G.

desiree465

OMG that sounds awful. But just think for a moment about the fact that you actually had a cigarette in your mouth and you were still strong enough to make the right decision. That's a big deal. You definitely need to come up with a plan for the next you are feeling this way. I know what it's like to wake up and not want to do anything like going to the gym. Force yourself! And yes drink tea. I was a huge coffee drinker. I liked waking up getting my coffee and sitting out on the porch and chain smoking. Now I make tea get comfy on my couch and come on this site. You can do this. I'm at day 65 and I can assure you it does get easier. Your quit is brand new and the first few weeks stink you just have to power through and come up with ways to get past the cravings. Everyone on here can give you ideas you just have to come on and tell us what's going on before you run for that pack of cigarettes. 

Lisaml

Aw what a rough morning. HOW STRONG you are! You had it in your mouth and then rejected it! I'm so incredibly proud of you! That is serious dedication. 

It is going to get easier for you very soon!!!! 

Way to go this morning;-) xoxox 

MichelleDiane

missellen my insides where crying with you as I read your challenge.  You made huge progress with what you did.  To actually sit and reflect even if it brought you to tears.  Wasn't it interesting that each step of that decision to smoke or not was filled with trepidation?  It means you are thinking.  Crying means you are feeling.  Smoking stopped us all from doing that.  Good job on your ultimate decision.  Take it easy and continue one minute at a time if you have to.  Get back to that routine.  It was working.

Regards,

Michelle  

Chuck-2-20-2011

I know that for me, this happened just one time in the early days of my quit. I saw it as the screaming child of addiction throwing one last, horrible temper tantrum before starting to give up on trying to make me smoke. I think our minds go through several phases when we quit smoking. It's like we're peeling back the layers, just as we had to create those layers to keep ourselves addicted.

It really does get easier. It happens gradually. Each day is easier then the last, even if it doesn't feel that way. Right now you should be very proud of yourself. You fought off the monster of addiction when it almost had you and by doing so have strengthened your resolve even more. 

Keep your eye on that prize of freedom. It's like the rainbow on the other side of a thundercloud. Sometimes we can't see the beauty because we're to busy staring at the cloud. But rest assured, there is beauty in every moment of a quit even if it doesn't feel like it. Congratulations on winning another day!

ONWARD TO FREEDOM!!!

Chuck

TW517

What a great story!  Well, not all the bad things that nearly caused you to slip, but the fact that you overcame despite all of that!  Way to go!  You should be extremely proud!

Sandi4

“But I’m here...smoke free.” 

Such a powerful statement. You should be very proud of yourself. You faced your addiction head on and you WON!

Way to go! You are a conqueror and this will be your forever quit. Just remember, one day, one minute at a time.

DLHaffner

missellen I'm so proud of you.  This sounds insane and I"m not really religious but I pray on my knees each morning as soon as I wake up and thank God for letting me have another day sober and ask him/her/it to please help me stay smoke-free today.  It's been working for me.  I feel mostly okay, I do for sure want to smoke at times the feeling is really strong...like morning, when I get home after work, before bed.  I hope you stay strong.  Even if you don't believe in God try praying as a science experiment.  It works, it really does!

Lonita

This is your quit and yours only....... Don't think about the ones who stop for years then started back smoking.  They didn't continue to protect themselves.  Next time the craving begins to start walking in the yard. Walk fast as you can.

Think of your favorite song start singing it.  Don't care if you look silly if you do smile about it.  Because of you are winning each craving. I have been where you are. I little over 7 years smoke-free and I promise you smoking isn't on my to-do list.  Whatever works for you not to smoke do it.  When you are not craving make you a list of things you like to do.

Drinking water helps, take a shower help, and being silly help. Remember you don't want to mess up the days you have

into this quit. Starting over is no fun.  Yep been there and done that. Call your husband. Enjoy your quit. I promise

you will be very happy you did.

Lonita

elvan

missellen‌ WOW, I was holding my breath as I was reading this.  You really DO own your own quit and no matter who loses a quit, they can't make you smoke.  It DOES get easier, I absolutely PROMISE you that it does.  When people relapse, they have their own set of excuses, they have their own issues to deal with...I remember feeling the same way at the beginning of my quit.  There was a person on here who posted just about every day and she was coming up on a year quit...she went back to smoking and I felt like someone had sucked all of the air out of me.  I really didn't know her but I FELT like I did.  I kept going and going and going and now I have more than four years and I can tell you without any reservation that I do not regret quitting even for a SECOND, no matter how hard it may have been at times.  You are DOING this...just keep putting one foot in front of the other and don't let your addiction suck you back in...you are better than that.

Hugs from another,

Ellen

maryfreecig

You won--plain and simple. 

Jennifer-Quit

Hope that you are doing better!

Brianairb2

I'm affirming what everyone else has already told you:  yes, it does get easier, but not without some effort.  I think you really tapped in to a dark reservoir of strength to come as close as you did and ultimately turn away.  Please take YoungAtHeart 's advice and make a less precarious plan for next time. I truly believe that you want to make this change, and you just demonstrated how determined you can be in this effort.  It gets easier, and so much better...you just gotta walk through some fire to get there.

Sootie

Since I am one of the people who TOLD a story of a long quit that failed.....may I say I hope you read the entire blog? Because it had a lesson on what goes wrong---most especially feeling sorry that you "can't smoke" being a quit killer.I felt sorry for myself that I wasn't smoking....boo hoo. And----as Jennifer-Quit‌ said...I made the choice to smoke.

I would like to apologize if the story made you feel you should smoke....that it is hopeless to try to quit. I made the choice to write that blog hoping my experience would help others..........

STOPPING SMOKING IS NOT EXTREMELY FUTILE.......IT IS NOT . I now have an EIGHT YEAR quit that I know is forever because of lessons learned.

Congratulations on getting through a really, really tough day and not smoking.

Stay Strong

Giulia

A good tough lesson.  You fought your way through it.  You have more strength than you know.  Trust us when we say it will get easier.  It's true.  Your quit is brand new, like like a fresh cut.  It takes time to heal.  Stay the course.  You will never be satisfied unless you do.  So glad you overcame the urge.  

missellen

Oh no, I didn't mean that others stories were going to make me quit my quit--it was more feeling sorry for myself and looking for an excuse to smoke.  If I smoke, it will be MY choice, entirely--not anything that anyone else has said or done.  It's still early days over here and I am still struggling with wanting to smoke and feeling sorry for myself about not being able to do so. I don't WANT to do it, either--so, it's that battle that you all know so well.

Sandy-9-17-17

Oh I am so happy you did not light up!  It would have been so easy to do......but you just showed yourself your true strength of this addiction.....You just beat nicodemon by showing it how strong you are!  I am so proud of you, and your willingness to throw it all away!  You did GOOD!  

I will attest that it does get easier, each and every day that goes by!  It truly does, as I now think about how at almost 6 months for me, feels as though I have never done it. I love the feeling!  I like knowing that I am in control, just as you just did, you are gaining that same control!  Pat yourself on the back, as we are all doing for you!  I promise you it does get easier as you will it to.

Have yourself a sweet smoke free day!  Keep saying "I don't do that anymore" when you feel that urge come on.  It becomes more and more real every time you hear it!

Sandy

elvan

You've got a good quititude and you are making progress the same way we all had to, one step at a time, baby steps count too.  I remember feeling challenged at the beginning of my quit when I read accounts of people losing their quits but I paid attention and they all seemed to have a really good lesson, some had to do with alcohol, some, like Sootie‌'s had to do with the fighting that wears quitters out.  Education is HUGE as is commitment and support.  What a great job you are doing.  This site is GOLDEN...there is so much to learn from long term quits and from those that were lost...we are not giving anything up, we are taking BACK our lives and learning how to feel things without nicotine.  I won't tell you that it is easy because that has not been my experience but I WILL tell you that it gets easier and to be able to SMILE at your accumulating days, weeks, months, or years is a great reward!

We are all here for you and we all want you to succeed.

Ellen

Gma_Bernie

Miss Allen,

You demonstrated beautifully that we have the control over each step and smoking. First of all you have to buy them. Then you have to open the pack. Then you can take one out and put it to your lips. But whether you light it or not, just like all the decisions that led up to this point, is under your control. You decided not to light it. That's what counts. Congratulations. I have 90 some days under my belt and I don't consider myself out of the woods yet, but it does get easier. The cravings become less strong and less often.

Stick with it.

Bernie

Gma_Bernie

Sorry, using voice to text, Ellen. Didn't catch that.

Bdwallhau

I also stopped both coffee and smoking together. They're just too closely associated for me. Even changing the coffee routine wasn't enough. I didn't want caffeine-withdrawal headaches, so I replaced my morning cup with a cup of hot tea. I chose a combination green-white tea with honey-ginseng flavor. I add honey to it rather than sugar. No milk. I really like it, and I haven't had a single caffeine headache. 

By the way, it took some serious moxie to actually have a cigarette and lighter in hand and NOT smoke. That's seriously impressive. I think you deserve a cape and your own comic book series for that one.

Hang in there. I'm too new at this to know enough to help, but I'm in your corner and I'm rooting for you. You want this, so hold on.

hollyrose

Hey, I only have 6 days but CONGRATULATIONS!

About the Author
Smoked since I was 17; I am turning 50 this year. It's time to be be done with this stuff.