cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Romance and the Cigarette

ohiosheltielady
0 7 93

You know, the marlbaro man ... handsome wearing that cowboy hat, looking so healthy, you know how that gets connected to romance somehow.  Then along comes the virginia slims woman who was long and lean and beautiful in her full-page ads in the magazines. 

It's easy to make that connection with romance and cigarettes when you think of their beautiful faces and bodies.  But for me, it's now ... it's today, because my real battle is just starting.  It's easy for me to quit smoking because I have that sort of pit bull personality that enables me to lock my jaws on something and not let go until I die.  I have that in me, whatever "that" is, just call it stamina or determination or conviction.  I have it. 

But this is where I fail.  Long after day one or week one ... usually at 1 month or 2 months or 3 months, those critical first 3 months is where I fail.  And it involves romance for sure!  I listen to the sweet whispers, the lies.  I listen to the lies rather than putting my hand up and walking away, I listen.  This is my danger zone, here and now.  Just know that about me.  This is the time when I am most fragile, here and now. 

I want this time to be different than all the other times when I failed.  I want my freedom.  I want this wonderful feeling that I have now, which is a strong and healthy feeling.  I love it.  And yet, it is when I feel my strongest that I am my weakest.  It's odd and I'm  not sure how to explain it.  The bigger they are, the harder they fall, that sort of thing. 

You people help though.  You people really do help a lot!  Thank you!  I am in theory supporting you, but actually you are supporting me right now. 

7 Comments
ohiosheltielady

I should print this pix and post it all around my house to remind me --- not to lose my head!  hahahahah

judy41

Dear OSL:  You are STRONG and can do it.  Keep reading that list of why you quit, and the worst is so over.

I know you are stronger and know more than me.  One of my tricks though, during a strong craving, is to

picture a face in my mind I want to see - Jesus works for me.  Try it - it works.  Thinking of you - have a great

day!

Debi12

Hi OSL - I think you are right many quitters will start smoking again when they are at 2,3,4,6 months into a good solid quit!  I have never been successful at longer than 2 weeks so I'm treading on new ground here,,,,,I still make my daily commitment that "I will not smoke today"  I know I am an addict - so I will probably always think a cigarette might be nice!!  

Put your hand out OSL - turn around and go the other way!!

Stay Strong 

mikeyd

Oh yes, the Marlboro man....keep in mind though, Ted Bundy was quite handsome too and look at what he did to the women he seduced.  We are dealing with a serial killer here and it's MO is targetting our weak willed adictive personalities.  Stay strong and lock the door on addiction!  You're doing great!

butt-kicker

Just imagine the Marlboro Man as a terrorist, with his packs of Marlboros strapped to his chest, like a suicide bomber , and instead of a cowboy hat on his head he's wearing a turban!

I actually imagine someone who offers me a cigarette as a terrorist, holding a gun to my head, it is the same thing!

I know how you feel about fearing these times ahead! Partly may be because you know you fell before. The difference now though, is that we're here to catch you on the way down! I know that I"ll do all that I can for you as it is humanly possible to do through the internet! 50 Days tomorrow Sister! We made it!! What a great feeling!!!!

Give yourself a big hug from me my friend!!

Love & Hugs!

Diane

molzep

Did you know that they used subliminal messages in cigarette ads? There was supposedly a suggestive word on the forehead of the Virginia Slim women.

And speaking of there slogan "you've come a long way!" It's true, you've come a long way.  This quit is so different. You have learned and felt things that you never did in other quits.  This one is different.  Don't smoke today and your quit is solid!

Stay strong, breath deep and sing at the top of your lungs (cause you can!)

so_over_it

Great blog and comments too! I'll be honest...I've always had kind of a thing for the Marlboro man..He was my perfect man...rugged, sexy, and smoky like me. hahaha. I so get what you mean about romancing the cigarette. I actually appreciate this warning though...because at 30 days...well, this is the farthest I've ever gotten! So I appreciate having the knowledge to be aware that there are still pitfalls to be avoided. And even though I've never been beyond thirty days...I think what's helped me thus far has been romancing the NOT cigarette. haha. Okay bad grammar. But I mean, instead of romancing how wonderful the cig was (which I still do sometimes), I romance my life WITHOUT the cigarette...I tell myself how wonderful I feel and how it seems my head is clearing and I'm more creative and I've been writing more since I quit, I started reading novels again too...I don't know if those are really the results of not smoking, but I let myself believe that they are, romancing the NOT smoke. haha. And I tell myself I'm running better and getting in better shape, and I buy the more expensive fabric softener so that my clothes smell awesome and I tell myself it's a reward for not smoking, and so on. I just romance my life without the cig, telling myself what a wonderful life not smoking is giving me. If this makes any sense at all!