cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Returning to work - anxiety attacks - and maintaining my quit

MistyNoMore
0 6 21

Hi.  I quit on 9/30 & took 2 weeks off from work to do this. I am an assistant at a law office and have worked there since 1986.  It is fast paced and a high pressure job.  I have managed my quit in the past two weeks but the real test is maintaining it after my return to work.    Another thing about me is that I have social anxiety and panic attacks which in the late 1970s was so bad that I dropped out of college. 

I have been taking zoloft for past 18 years and that has helped some as far as the social anxiety.  But I still get very wound up - not only with social anxiety - but I guess you could say I'm really high strung -  and the smoking was what I used to make myself feel better.  I could go thru a tense situation at work and then go to the back porch outside, smoke a few puffs, and my stress level plummeted.  I bascially could smoke whenever I wanted in quick breaks.

I'm worried that I'll go crazy or something if I can't reduce my work stress.  I go back on Tuesday.  Help?

6 Comments
About the Author
Grew up in Bristol, Virginia. Live in Abingdon, Virginia. Legal Assistant. Mom to a beautiful redhead and grandmother to my lovely Rose.