cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Retrain Your Brain

Breakinchains
0 2 0

I got to the college this morning, and I was scheduled to meet with a student to help her with her computer classes. So we sit down at the table and she plugs in her computer. NOTHING. I plug mine into the same outlet to make sure the outlet isn't the problem. My computer works fine. Conclusion? Her power cord is bad, she needs to go buy a new one. Not a huge deal right? An inconvenience, yes, but not the end of the world. Well, the first thing she does, and this was like a switch going off in her head, she says "I need a cigarette, I need to think." What is wrong with this statement? It is amazing how fast a smoker runs to the cigs anytime anything goes wrong, just amazing. Cigs don't make the situation better. They don't calm you down for more than a few minutes, and they certainly don't improve brain function. All they do is waste your time, and destroy your health. This is the undisputable truth. Retrain your brain not to run to the nicotine every time something goes wrong, and you can and will succeed at your quit. The big first step is to realize that you don't need the smokes, you can get through your day without them, no matter what happens, and you will discover, eventually, that life without them is actually far less stressful. 

2 Comments
About the Author
I quit smoking on March 26th, 2009. I smoked a pack a day for 25 years. I quit because I began having health issues in my early 40's. I had a TIA and a stroke a few years ago. I work as a home delivery salesperson.