Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Relapse

angelynna
0 15 25

I smoked today, after 12 days clean.

It wasn't a "slip" or an "accident".  I made a conscious choice to go buy a pack of smokes and a lighter, and to smoke several of them while driving my car around.

I'm not intending to be judgmental towards anyone, I'm very happy for all of you, no matter how you've managed to sustain your quit.  Just a few things that don't sit right with me that i wanted to comment on.

A lot of people keep saying "it's easy, just don't smoke" or "all you have to do is think positive".  Well correct me if I'm wrong, but it's it was really that easy wouldn't everybody be quit?  The truth is that for most of us, it's not that easy. 

I went to NA for a good long time several years ago.  We had lots of people come in, stop their drug use, and they were incredibly happy, everything was going great, it was easy for them.  We called this "the pink cloud".  It's a common phenomenon amongst addicts who are getting clean.  But they aren't dealing with the reality of it.  they aren't dealing with their feelings.  Eventually, the cloud bursts, all the feelings come back, and a lot of them end up relapsing.   I'm not saying that will happen to any of you and I certainly hope it doesn't.   But I know from my past experiences, it really is not that easy if you want it for the long term.  It takes a lot of hard work.

I guess I should feel lucky that I've never really suffered from pink cloud syndrome.  For a few days, maybe.  But my feelings won't allow themselves to be ignored.  They must be expressed or otherwise dealt with, or they will take me down.  

God knows I've had enough therapy to know how to do cognitive redirection, and how important it is.  But dealing with negative thoughts doesn't mean just ignoring or repressing them.  it means taking a good look at them, asking why do I feel that way, and then figuring out a way to redirect the thought into something positive, and by that I don't mean into a cheesy cliche, which if you're anything like me just ends up irritating you more.   

"I can't think straight or figure anything out unless I smoke"

"That's partially true, because smoking for so many years has changed the way my brain functions"

"The longer I smoke, the longer it's going to take for my brain to get back to normal, so instead of smoking so I can "feel" clear headed, I'm going to go for a run and see if that helps".

...which is what I should have done today.

The other major thing bothering me is the fatigue.   I was wearing the patch, there really is no reason that I should be having really strong withdrawal symptoms after 12 days.  I'm starting to suspect that the patch is just some gimmick that keeps us hooked, just on a lower dose, so that the withdrawal drags out for weeks instead of just a few days.  I'm not going to wear it anymore, I'm just gonna deal with it.

I read yesterday that nicotine affects our blood sugar, essentially it changes the insulin levels so that we are getting constant releases of sugar, and that's why we get hungry when we stop smoking, because the body has to re-learn how to stabilize the insulin levels.  I had a hard time with blood sugar crashes even when I was smoking, and after stopping it's been horrible.  I'd have a day or two where things went well, and then I'd need like three days of sleeping all day to feel normal again.  I suspected it was the sugar and i ended up buying a box of twinkies and eating half of them in one sitting, hoping it would somehow instant release into my blood and give me some energy.  Didn't work.

So, if the patch was keeping nicotine in my system, but not at the normal level, then my blood sugar levels were probably way messed up.  I don't want to have to go through that again.  So no patch, and I'm going to try to get an appointment with my medical doctor before the end of the week to discuss and/or test for possible blood sugar issues.  In the meantime, I have some veggies which i'll go cut up and get ready for easy snacking, some cranberry juice to help get the nicotine out of my system, and just make sure I'm snacking frequently to try to keep things level. 

I know that I also have to get more physical activity.  I need to work on that.  And instead of staying in bed all day because i'm tired and letting that to lead to depression which leads to relapse, I need to get up and go ahead with my normal activities.

I'm not sorry I relapsed.  It's allowed me to see what things were working for me, and what weren't.  I mentioned in a previous blog that quitting smoking is not just giving up one bad habit.  It's a complete life makeover.  and anything that big is going to take some time to get it right.

15 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

until we think outside our experience we  are destined to travel the same circle over and over.

we as smokers had a true crutch to lean on.

consequently, many of us never considered thinking outside our experience. We smoked instead

I feel that it can't hurt to believe you can do it and gain and maintain momentum from each day.

the patch? yeah i used it for my first ten days and knew I didn't need it anymore. (listening to my body,

realizing where I had come to. thinking out of that old circle.

james41

"Life makeover" I think you hit the nail on the head. As  you continue to read and learn and absorb info from some of the folks on this site, you'll start to read between the lines and see some of us have hit treatment many times ,, and that a whole lot of  drug addicts and alcoholics are very addicted to Nicotine and it's the last drug whippin their butt. Glad you got it off your chest, that's what we are here for. I started the whole "Life makeover "   about a year before I quit smoking. Peace. James the,,,,,,,

"Happy Quitter" not the pink cloud ,,I been there.

Bonnie11.3.2009

what you believe is true, is true!  Sometimes writing what you believe is true gives you a chance to decide if those beliefs work for you anymore.  You're so right about quitting smoking being life changing, you can decide to make it positive or not.  No pink cloud, Pollyanna or Mary Poppins here, just a happy quitter because I chose so. 

So glad you re-committed to your quit right away!  Keep blogging and letting us know how you're doing.

Sootie

Angelynna--I can't speak for everyone on here---but i know the times that I have said "it's easy---just don't smoke" were sort of "tongue in cheek"---meaning not that it's really EASY but that the only way to quit smoking is to just     don't      smoke! It's usually a response to a blog where someone asks---how did you do it?

You are correct---it takes some work but it is soooooo worth it in the end.

I recommended Brian's blog the other day. It IS NOT a cheesy cliche---I hate them too!!! It is an in your face, very blunt posting,. Read it if you have time.

Glad you spoke out and hope to still see you here....keep in touch

hwc

"I was wearing the patch, there really is no reason that I should be having really strong withdrawal symptoms after 12 days. "

--------------------

The only way to end physical nicotine withdrawal cravings is to stop taking nicotine. Each dose of nicotine dulls the immediate craving for the drug, but guarantees that the physical craving will return by prolonging the active drug addiction and brain chemistry imbalances that create the craving.

I'm not saying that some people haven't successfully transitioned from smoking nicotine addict to pharmaceutical nicotine addict to non nicotine user. People do succeed occasionally on that path. I am saying that you will never, ever escape the craving for nicotine as long as you are a nicotine user. The addiction is just too ferocious for that. The brain chemistry changes associated with nicotine addiction are too powerful.

And, as far as 12 days go... no matter how you quit, 12 days is far too early to expect to be free of strong craves/thoughts. At 12 days, you just try to have the tools in place to deal with the triggers as they come with an arsenal of responses ranging from getting off that thought to confronting the trigger and embracing the crave. At 12 days, you should be just focused on getting through 24 hours and then having a big victory celebration for another win. That's just the way it is.

Yaya2.6.10

Yep, its a life make over.  I was not a happy quitter in the beginning cuz I didn't like the makeover part.  I knew it had to be done, but it was really a huge step outside my comfort level.  Keep on blogging and we will keep on reading.  You need to keep reading what others say too. 

james41

Ya Ya ,, You have come so far !!! I have tt say it because you were not happy way back and now you are such a transitioned person now and I'm so happy for you as well as all the Ex er's!!!

courtney24

So much truth! You are truly getting to know your body agian and that's wonderful! Yes it does do crazy things to blood sugar I've struggled with issues my whole smoking life and now it's even worse. I'm hungry all the time but just a little juice or some almonds and it's all good. This is not easy it's not suppose to be - it's suppose to be something that's hard and that you work on every day. It's one day at a time just like with any addiction - it's easy if you distract your cravings and routine with something that feeds your soul. That's truly what we're all craving - soul feed. Those things that we never did but really wanted to - it's opprotunity right now in your quit to satisify a lot of things that your soul needs and cigarettes is not one of them. Best of luck on your quit!

quitter39

As far as always feeling hungry, I just started drinking the crystal light strawberry banana, it is supposed to help with hunger control.  I have been drinking that in the evening instead of snacking on junk food, and it is filling.  Just not the same as chewing on something.  So, still have some trail mix around for a little crunch.  Just a couple days on it so don't know if it will actually do any good or not.  That is all we can do is eat less and move more...got in 12.5 miles walking today!!  A lot of it pushing a mower. 

keeptrying2

You sound angry, and I get that.  Get it out!  Yell about it!  It is hard to read about others doing well when you are crawling out of yoru skin.  There are people who are not doing so well, you should talk about that too. 

I honestly believe that we are not only fighting a nicotine addiction but also a physcial addiction to all the other drugs they put in cigarettes. Think about it...we have been smoking paint thinner...yeah that's addictive too and gonna have an effect too.  There are 1000s of other items we have been ingesting along with nicotine so...remember it is a package deal, we quit it all when we quit cigs.  A new life...it takes time to get into and get readjusted.  It takes time ot heal and get those drugs out of our system.  Allow your body the time it needs to readjust.  We owe it to ourselves to do that.

empathy

Glad to see so many responses." Keeptrying" is right and so are many others but why did it take her smoking to get the groups attention? Is it because she has used the words DEPPRESSION OR ANXIETY ?  This is the issue that makes my skin crawl here. Many people say "this group can't fix everything". Those that do may not know that it takes many of the life skills taught by this group to manage other issue that can & will effect our quits. I wanted to blog about this for the last two days. I am sorry I did not push through the pain & do it!!!!  My friend, you keep doing what you are. Go to the Dr. read the blogs ask people who had a hard time how they got through it & try to learn from the others without being turned off. The main thing is never forget that you can do this!!   I am Tammy, your friend and almost 4 weeks smoke free. I am also living with other mental health issues that the withdrawl has made worse for now. FOR NOW - IT WILL END! You can do this too. LOVE YOU ALL & HANG IN THERE FRIEND!!!   Tammy

pir8fan

As is often the case a misuse of the language has created some confusion! You are right, if it were easy everyone could just quit and we could all have a lot of time on our hands because there would be no need for this site! The word is simple! The concept is simple, you just don't smoke! Simple! However, as is usually the case the devil is in the details! A few questions that are not so simple! How---? What if-----? Does this-----? What do I do if----------? This is where the need for education come in! Learn from the mistakes of others! You do not have enough time to make them all yourself!

As far as the patches or other NRT's I know a lot of people have used them to quit. I believe that those people quit in spite of these thing instead of because of them! I see them as a ready made excuse to fail!!!! "The patches did not work" or "I can't take that because it gave me bad dreams!" Of course after the bad dreams you wake up to the nightmare of the addiction! Going "cold turkey" forces you to take responsibility for your own actions!

You have put a great deal of thought and effort into quitting! Ckannel some of that into re-starting life! You can have a cleaner, happier, heathier and more comfortable way of life! You can do this! We will help!           Tommy

anacondahead

You now have much more knowledge about quitting than you had 12 days ago. What made you choose to smoke again? What happened, exactly? Those answers will help you as you move forward toward quitting for good. Best wishes to you.  😃

anacondahead

You now have much more knowledge about quitting than you had 12 days ago. What made you choose to smoke again? What happened, exactly? Those answers will help you as you move forward toward quitting for good. Best wishes to you.  😃

barbara42

just want to tell you, that hell no, it is not easy, never was, but i just was too stubborn to take a sneak puff. i know me and if i did all my troubles would have been for nothing, i just could not let that happen. i took Chantix for 32 days, had such bad dreams and it made me sick, but it did give me a start, after that it was all me, and you are so right, the quitting is easy, the hard part is doing it, and that my dear is what i felt then and still do is the hard part. i smoked for 42 years and have been quit now for 2 years, no my dear it is not easy to me, but it does get easier to handle, we all are addicts and have to be aware that at some time we are going to have a surprise crave, that is where it will get us, if we let it. get a good mind set, get stubborn and in your mind, you are boss, and you will win !!!