cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Re-post - Hope it helps!

Michwoman
1 4 43

Here is my first blog post on this site. I hope it provides some support for those who are at or near this point. I have 620 days 🙂  You CAN!

"I'm so glad I discovered this site!  After a few days nicotine free I had an "I've licked it" attitude, but I realize now after 3 weeks that I am still vulnerable and that the old addiction can grab me if I let it. I first started smoking in my late teens (like many of us) and have had several attempts at quitting - one lasting over 3 years. I am determined to make this the last attempt.  I keep remembering my Mother in her last days... she died of many complications - one of which was small cell carcenoma.  That's a fancy name for lung cancer.  The image of her is with me always.  Message to Mom:  Our smoking was pretty much the only thing we had in common.  I don't want to spend my last days the way you did. I don't want my son to have to change my diapers.  I know you would be proud of me, Mom.  I'm doing it!!"

4 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

Tough picture good decision.

I think we need some people around who are actually alive and breathing and able to respond Laura. LOLOL

pir8fan

I am alive and breathing(some)!

I bet that people are reading and shaking their heads! They may not know how to respond to this, but they see themselves and know that you found your Freedom!! They can to!

smorgy8513

Laura, I agree.....tough picture but an important thing to remember.      My dad died of lung cancer, I didn't need to care for him in that way, but I did see him fail and die.     AND I KEPT SMOKING!       Stupid?    YES!     So, I hope that some of the Newbies can hear, see and believe this!

Thanks.....

karen230

You painted  a powerful  reality. We may not want to but seeing the consequences that our choices are likely to cause  is a strong motivator for those who are brave enough.Bravo to  you for keeping that memory to help you stay the course.