cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Quitting is one thing, Staying Quit is another

RecoveringNic
9 14 228

I was a heavy smoker for all of 30 Years +, and on February 14th, 2003, I made a decision that it was high time I stopped killing myself. Smoking, using and abusing nicotine, I decided, was just no longer worth it. After all, If I am honest with myself, I have to admit; smoking is nothing glorious. Smoking is only a sure way of committing a slow suicide. I got tired of being a sucker on the end of those death sticks, and so I did some research, came up with a personal plan, and I stopped ALL use of nicotine. I put the cancer sticks down, went cold turkey all the way, February 14th, 2003, for which I am very grateful.

I can only speak for myself here, but quitting smoking was only a symptom of the real problem. I needed to stop all use of nicotine, and then I needed to do some real self inventory. I needed to get to the root of the problem, and I needed to address all those thoughts and behaviors that led to me pick up nicotine in the first place. I needed to get honest with myself, and this kind of self inventory, blatant honesty, and soul searching is what KEEPS me from picking up nicotine again. Quitting, for me, is one thing; but keeping the quit, which happens one day at a time, is a completely different thing. So, here I am on this continuous journey of getting honest with myself about my thoughts, behaviors, and actions; as well as acquiring tools for daily living without the use of nicotine. As I said, quitting smoking is one thing, and staying quit is a totally different thing. One day at a time, traveling on a spiritual journey.

RecoveringNic,

20 years + 4days completely Nicotine free

14 Comments