cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Quitting Nicotine Journal

nmukunda
6 10 418

I am probably one of the worst nicotine addicts. I try and quit almost everyday for the last year. Staying at home is making it hard. I have never reached out for support before and would like to blog my experience here. I will be quitting by 4:00 PM EST today.

10 Comments
Strudel

Welcome to the site and congrats on deciding to quit! The main thing I can tell you is that YOU CAN DO THIS! I smoked for 40 years and didn’t see how I could ever quit. I came here and began to read info from others and the book by Allen Carr - “The Easy Way to Quit Smoking”. I got the support offered here and I realized that it really was possible to quit. No “trying” - I could actually do it - and so can you! I quit over 11 years ago…best thing I have ever done! 
Congrats again and please stick around! 

YoungAtHeart

Welcome!

You didn't say what nicotine delivery method you are quitting, so the information I will give you will  mention cigarettes and smoking.  The information is valid no matter your nicotine delivery device.  Just sub the name of your product.

The important thing you can do right now is to educate yourself on what nicotine does to your body and mind. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.”    You can search for it online or at your local library.  Here is a video to inform you further about nicotine addiction:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpWMgPHn0Lo&feature=youtu.be

From my own experience and that of others here, if you decide to use a quit aid, I recommend those that don't let the addict control the dose such as Rx drugs and the patch.

It will be informative if you do the tracking and separation exercises recommended here on the site. As you track each cigarette smoked, note its importance, and what you might do instead. Put each one off just a little to prove that you don't NEED a cigarette just because you think you do.

The idea is to change up your routines so the smoking associations are reduced.  Drink your coffee with your OTHER hand in a place different from when you smoked. Maybe switch to tea for a bit.  If you always had that first smoke with your coffee, try putting your tennies on right out of bed, going for a quick walk, then taking your shower and THEN your coffee! .  Take a different route to work. Take a quick walk at break time where the smokers AREN'T.

You need to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take a bite out of a lemon (yup - rind and all), do a few jumping jacks, go for a brisk walk or march in place, play a computer game.  Keep a cold bottle of water with you. Don't let that smoking thought rattle around in your brain unchallenged. You might visit “Games”: The active ones are at the top of the list going down the left side of the page.

Here is a link to a list of things to do instead of smoke if you need some fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

The conversation in your head in response to the "I want a cigarette" thought needs to be, "Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it.  You will need to put some effort into this in the early days, but it gets easier and easier to do.

Stay close to us here and ask questions when you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way!

Nancy

MarilynH

Welcome to the community @nmukunda please read the links suggested above and keep reading everything you can because there's a wealth of information right here on this site to strengthen your resolve to kick the nicotine poison to the curb permanently it's not easy by any stretch of the imagination BUT with commitment and perseverance you will perservere through whatever comes your way and you'll do one precious day at a time or hour minute or even a second at time deep breaths and believe in yourself because we believe in you and we're rooting you on You've got this! Turn your DAY ONE INTO DAY WON with many more to come! 

sweetplt

Hi and Welcome to Ex’s @nmukunda 

I am glad you found our site.  Many of us have attempted a few quits before we got one to stick.  I quit three times after 30 some years of smoking and this last one stuck because of Ex’s.

Might I suggest, you read at https://www.becomeanex.org/my-ex-plan/ there you will plan your quit day, decide on your your quit, figure your triggers and what you will do in place of smoking.  

You need to keep busy. Here is a list to get you started.

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/t5/Journals-Blogs/101-Things-to-Do-Instead-of-Smoke/ba-p/1028319

Be sure to come here daily and read the blogs.  Get help and encourage other’s on this journey.  

WE are here to help you…we have all “been there, done that”…

~ Colleen 1137 DOF 

elims-09-14-13

Welcome @nmukunda ! I'm glad to see you here. You've already gotten great advice from the others. Please do read, do the exercises, write your journal, ask for support, and believe in yourself.

You CAN quit! 

~Elims

deedeepurple

Congratulations 🎉. Just keep going. This is my first time reaching out for support. It’s really making a positive difference . 

Barbscloud

@deedeepurple Glad to see you're reaching out. It's so important to give and receive support. 

Just wanted you to be aware this is an older post and you may not receive a response from the author. Hopefully they're still here and not smoking and this will motivate them to reach out to you.  

Nothing wrong with reading old posts. There's lost to be learned from quitters on all steps of this journey.  

Stay close.  It really does make a difference.

Barb

deedeepurple

@Barbscloud   Yes still not smoking. I was so happy to drive with my air conditioning on in my car. I can have it on all the time now. It’s 104 degrees here. Just feels good. Didn’t really know all the ways smoking was affecting my life. YAHOO 💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽

Barbscloud

@nmukunda So true.   Amazing some of the "little" things we notice.  Don't have to leave the window cracked so you can enjoy the cool air.

Big congrats on your success.  You're off to a winning start.  Keep moving forward one day at a time. 

Barb

Woahello

I can relate to your share.  I’ve tried to quit almost every day for months and the longest I’ve made is 30 days.  Still trying to quit again.  Thank you for sharing.