cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Quitters .....Are you Happier with Yourself?

Thomas3.20.2010
0 14 21

Please share your quit story so all the Newbies know it's worth the effort!

14 Comments
ruralgrl

I am so much happier with myself!!! I am proud that I am doing this!!! I am gaining so much by quitting. I will see my grand kids grow up, I will raise my 4 yr old daughter, I will go bike riding this summer when we go camping! By next year when I get a cold it wont immediately turn into bronchitis or pnuemonia. My little Yorkie wont be inhaling 3rd hand smoke when she lays on me or cuddles under the blankets, I can stay somewhere as long as I want without having to step out to smoke, I can sit at a gathering and count myself on the side of the majority Those that are nonsmokers!. Gosh I could go on forever!!!!! This not my quit story but these are reason I am happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!

meWisconsin

Saturday, Sept 13th was at an outdoor function with lots of beer drinking. Ended up smoking almost 2 packs that day. Sunday morning told myself enough is enough. Used a 21mg patch for 10 days then 7mg for 5 days then quit them. That was 126 days ago and I feel great now. This site definitely helped a great deal. There are lots of people here that have the knowledge to help. Everyday is a new and wonderful day.

hampton

I'M SOOOOO HAPPY I FINALLY QUIT SMOKING.... THIS QUIT HAS HELPED ME TO SEE HOW STRONG I AM. THIS QUIT HAS MADE MY LIFE SO MUCH HAPPIER AND LESS CONTROLLED BY THINGS I DO NOT NEED OR WANT!!!  I AM HAPPY I MET ALL OF YOU!!! I'M HAPPY I CAN BREATHE SO MUCH EASIER,WALK SO MUCH FASTER,TASTE MY FOOD SO MUCH BETTER,SMELL SO MUCH BETTER,ETC. MOST IMPORTANTLY I AM JUST PLAIN HAPPIER THAT I QUIT KILLING MYSELF SLOWLY.:)

LOVE YOU THOMAS,YOU BRING OUT THE BEST IN ME. PLEASE KEEP POSTING. MAKES ME VERY HAPPY!!!!! DEBORAH..... HUGS.

JonesCarpeDiem

I'm very happy to have quit smoking.

I was always a happy person. By that I mean optimistic, not a down person.

maggie_8-1-2010

I tried so many times before my forever quit in 2010. I waited until I couldn't even have a telephone conversation without coughing through the eniire thing.  This year I celebrate being smoke free for 5 years!  I was just thinking the other day how amazing it feels so wonderful to be free of the whole ritual,  

Use the kind folks (Elders) at this site.  They have stayed well after their quits were solid to help you!  Listen and follow their advice. Remeber to say N.O.P.E. each and every time you begin "stinkin thinkin".  If you don't know already it stands for Not One Puff Ever!

Giulia

I think the greatest feeling for me is that of accomplishment.  I planned, I committed, I stuck with it.  The pride I feel is immesurable.  It keeps me afloat when I get down on myself.  That and the freedom from the slavery to it.  I look at smokers sometimes now like I'm an alien being and think "I can't believe I actually did that.  It looks so silly."  If you've ever sat back and just observed  people smoke, it's quite interesting.  None of them look like they're enjoying it.  Not like watching people eating a good meal and relishing the flavor. 

aztec

HI Thomas and exville

I have 5 years and 8 months since I quit killin gmyself with cigarettes.

I had several attempts over the years. I failed until I realized I would make my family cry over a smoking related death. I have one son and one grandson.

I have the love of my family and they are proud of me, I am proud of me.

They talk about a foerever quit, I couldn't imagine that but now I beleive it.

I have heard of people having urges into their 20 th year. I cannlt say I don't have an urge here and there, I do, but I woud rather live. I am getting older and I don't want to add suffering from  cigarettes to my life,

I am so glad I am celebrating living.

I hope more people embrace LIVING, don't stup trying, push them away.

if you need to use nrts, they helped me for a long time, what matters is the out come. Go to whyquit.com and listen to Joel spitzers pod casts. look at the famous people that couldn't quit. Count yourself blessed to have a support sytem like becomean ex. . meet new friends and carry on in Happiness, I am so grateful to everyone here who has been on my path, some here and some gone.

I reward myself with tangible things at my milestones. I have since my first year. it matters that I have things in my life that I acquired that I wouldn't have had.

Sam is on my page, check him out. he was my 3 year reward.

Just recenly I got a tiger eye silver ring and a rose quarts silver ring, I had to have them sized becasue I gained weight, but I war them and my grandson plays with them while I feed him, I will be around for him. That is great. That makes me happy and the fact that my son is roud of me makes my whole day.

happiness comes in many ways to me, Living life in health is amazing.

aztec

quit date 5-5-09

You can do it.

I would rather breathe than smoke

I don't have to do that to myself anymore.

The urge will pass wither You smoke or not.

go to my page for more dtid bits.

Life is a blast

linda258

I am happy that I have control over my day ... what I do .. where I go.. and how I live.  I don't have to think... do I have enough money to buy smokes... where can I go to smoke and when... who is present and how they think about smoking...if I will smell...  I am happy that I am FREE ... to make my own decisions.

I have an extra $120 a week ... who would not be happy about that?? 

I have better health.  I can travel anywhere... anyplace and NOT have to worry about if and when I can smoke... and I don't have to go outside ... unless I WANT TO.. 

HAPPY .... NO ...ESTACTIC !!!! 

jacks1125

Yesssssss, Stop smoking a year ago around the holidays...lost weight and a peace of mind.yes thoughts of smoking comes though sometimes, but I just let it pass right on by....I can breathe finally!!!

djmurray

I'm at Day 18 of my quit and feeling joyful!  I never thought I could quit and feel happy at the same time, but I do.  I have completely changed my thinking about what smoking is and isn't.  I know that my so-called "friend" of 50 years gave me the only thing it had to offer me -- COPD.  Constant shortness of breath.  But for all those years I believed that I had to smoke to be happy.  I felt deprived if I tried to quit.  I envied anyone who "got to" smoke.  I feel so different now.

I read Allen Carr's book The Easy Way to Quit Smoking, and it completely opened my eyes to what smoking isn't.  And I've come to this site every day, and sometimes several times a day, to soak up the wisdom of the elders and listen to the panic of those approaching their quit dates -- we learn from everyone. 

I have some craves but I give them no more credence than occasional heartburn.  This was my birthday weekend and I was around a bunch of smokers and never ONCE wanted to smoke.  As a matter of fact, I really experienced how stinky it is.  But miraculous as it is I know I will never smoke again.  Not One Puff Ever.  That's happiness!!

annb
It's such a relief to no longer be self conscious about the terrible odor! And now I can smell anyone smoking from around the block!!
Strudel

I came here in June of 2010. I took the advice to read and prepare. After smoking for 40 years I was amazed that I could actually quit! Seeing others here - including you Thomas - who had done it - convinced me that I could too! I quit in June 12, 2010! Best thing I ever done! The freedom is the thing I love the most! Happier? You bet!

bethso

Absolutely!!!  I never in a million years thought I would be able to quit.  I now control what I do.  I no longer have to answer to the constant need to feed the urges to smoke.  I can focus and concentrate on tasks at hand w/o having to always stop for a smoke.  I smell better, I feel better.  I no longer have those god awful coughing fits whenever I laugh.  I can sing without triggering the cough.  What makes me the happiest is the self confidence I now carry instead of that self-loathing I experienced each time I lit up.  I also love seeing the look on my smoker friends' faces when I say nope, still not smoking.  It is pure envy!  Yep, I couldn't be happier that I was finally able to break free.  

freeneasy

I'm very happy at 2 years. I take great pride in it because I never had the will to quit. I still have an occasional smoking thought-but that's all it is-I still come here nearly every day.

About the Author
63 years old. 20 year smoker. 11 Years FREE! Diagnosed with COPD. Choosing a Quality LIFE! It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. -Galatians 5:1