cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Quit day 141

biscuit9
6 10 366

I simply wanted the desire to quit smoking, 9/6/22, just for a couple days.   Having had some minor oral  surgery and the dr. telling me I would heal quicker if I quit smoking, but you might as well tell me to saddle up my rocketship to the moon, cos I ain't no quitter.  I don't quit for nobody, nothing.....I smoke through bronchitis or pneumonia, cos I ain't no quitter.  For reasons I can't explain, this time was different because I was disgusted with myself.  I'm not weak, except when it came to my nicotine, my cigs, my crutch, my addiction.  A strong person would set that nicotine aside and let their injury heal.  That's the point when I gave it all over to God. Asking him to give me the desire to quit, for good.  For the next days, I got educated about nicotine, watched videos online and just filled my brain with all the negatives (there are no positives) of smoking.  I would never allow myself to research nicotine before, my addiction didn't want to hear bad news.  For maybe 6 days I cut down to 3 cigs a day, set my quit day for 9/17/22.  For some reason, I was convinced if I could get through 3 days with no nicotine, I was gonna make it.  The first 2.5 days of quitting were so easy, peasy, breasy I knew I was good to go.  Day 2.5 to about day 21, I wouldn't wish on anyone.  It was mentally draining, but I pressed on, I had a goal and God had granted me the desire and he gave me 2.5 easy days, before I had to really do the work.  I have always heard, "The best things in life, don't come easy".  I still cannot belive I am not a smoker, but I AM NOT A SMOKER.  I don't want or need that "thing" anymore.  I have quit once before, for an extremely long time, and it took one single puff to get me readdicted.  I don't take this quit for granted.  I wasn't thankful in the beginning, it took me until day 22 to begin to appreciate my smokefree life.  I felt somewhat guilty cos I thought I should be jumping up and down with gratitude cos I quit smoking, starting day one, but I don't think that is realistic, and that that comes in time. I am grateful to God and I thank him for bringing me this far.

10 Comments
About the Author
Mother of 3 adults and stepmom to one. Grandmother of 10, 4 girls, 6 boys. I live in Texas with my husband.