cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

QUESTION

Thomas3.20.2010
0 22 105

Is smoking other substances a good substitute to quitting smoking cigarettes? I have my opinion and some facts but would like input from all!

22 Comments
eddieg121

I would not do it. still smoking and practicing the behaviors of smoking.

Thomas3.20.2010

A study from the American Thoracic Society May 2008

Cigarette Smokers are 2 1/2 X more likely to get COPD than non-smokers

Cig + MJ Smokers are 3 1/2 X more likely to get COPD

Users risk for heart attack  is $X as high as a non-smoker within the first hour after smoking marijuana

Marijuana contains 50% more carcinogens and 3 X the tar as cigarettes

THC impairs the body's immune system from fighting disease, increases the risk of bacterial infection and tumors!

I believe that we must learn to live Addiction FREE! Smoke FREE! FREE! There are much Healthier Alternatives! Change your Perspective!

Thomas3.20.2010

Typo: Users risk for heart attack is 4X as high as a non-smoker within the first hour after smoking marijuana

_m_9

Smoking is smoking, no matter what you are smoking.  It's all bad.

Thomas3.20.2010

A study from the National Institute of Health November 24, 2010

Levels of a protein called apolipoprotein-C 30% higher in marijuana users than in non-users. (Cigarette smokers were excluded from the study). This causes high levels of Triglycerides that contribute to hardening of the arteries raising the risk of stroke, heart attack, and heart disease!

_m_9

I  have also read that regular marijuana use in men leads to gynecomastia (enlarged breasts or "man boobs").  Not so serious as your stats Thomas, but a stat all the same!

empathy

Thomas my dear, dear friend: I studied pot use while I was in college over 15 years ago & there were no studies like these at the time. So thank you for new information.  You brought it up due to your true concern for other peoples health & that shows the true depth of your love of others. Now please consider this: What if it was completely legal, taxed & monitored as a partially legal substance as beer?

1) It would be safer as THC would be the only drug put in it      O.K. THIS IS IF THE FEDERAL GOV. COULD DO SOMETHING RIGHT!   GREAT BIG IF!!!  

2) Our nationa debt would be gone but the most important   3) should havebeen #1 No more Mexican cartel

I do want to say that many people can not use this as an option for what ever..say pain due to a history of mental illness. Please reread that people.       I could go on but I will stop. Some topics have many views.  OH.. Let all people who are only in jail & prison for pot NO VILENCE (SP?) out  & save ? how much $.    Big Hugs   Tammy

Thomas3.20.2010

Thank You Empathy! This is exactly the kind of thinking I am looking for! I also would say that folks with glaucoma or using marijuana for cancer or HIV have a tough choice to make! So bring on the facts! I welcome them no matter which side of the argument they fall so people can look at the choice realistically!

empathy

You are great!!! I have been at your site begging that you not see me as a stoned slacker with no morals. You are a good man. Come on people! Bring on the rest of the reasons FOR CONTROLED use. Lets get real around here. Do not forget asthma : mine was very good for a long time but we started using wood heat. Today I can really feel it. So it would have to be against the law to be around children at all!!   Thanks, I am so tired so again no sp, gram check. Wanted to by one for xmas... No way  the cost for a good not is stupid!

sandee

I live in Michigan where medical marijuanai is legal and used by many of my friends..

They use a vaporizor to smoke, it takes out the carcinogens.

I have major arthritis and am in the process of getting my medical card.

Before my sister passed from cancer smoking marijuanai was the only thing that would help her eat and sleep

: )

Thomas3.20.2010

I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved sister! I hope she found some relief from her pain! I also hope you find some relief from your arthritis pain! I know just how debilitating it can be! Please let me know if you have any success with vaporized smoking in treating your illness! Best Wishes!

JonesCarpeDiem

My turn.

I agree that smoking marijuana unfiltered, unvaporized, etc may have more carcinogens etc etc

the thing is, a marijuana smoker may have 2 or 3 puffs at a time and they don't smoke a pack a day.

Big difference, even if they do it  a few times a day.

It's not the same hand to mouth repetion 200 times a day as with a cigarette.

In my opinion, it is not the same thing at all.

I do not advocate it to help people quit smoking.

Put that in your pipe and smoke it. LOL

Thomas3.20.2010

Granted! Also, there is the difference between addiction and habitation. Some argue that mj use does not fit in with addiction, while others say yes it does! It all comes down to what you call addiction! I think it is addictive in those who sacrifice their well-being to their "habit"! So yes I have met many mj smokers who I classify as addicts. Just my opinion! Also, I strongly agree with JonesCarp that as a means to quit smoking cigs is not appropriate. Still, as a COPDer I wonder how many people realize the risk they're taking because mj is characterized as "harmless?"

drifter

I think that there are too many variables and types of folks to know what is beneficial and what is too risky generally. I'm a fan of harm reduction so if something helps you decrease unhealthy habits, by all means go for it. I agree with jonescarp that it's not the same act, but it may impact your inhibition.

onelasttime

I personally don't think our lungs is supposed to be used to inhale any foriegn substance.Smoke fumes dust dirt or any thing like that. They did give my mother THC but in a tablet form when she was dying from lung cancer to help with the nausea from Chemo. Had they told her to smoke pot at that point I would not have objected but I do believe that smoking pot is as hazardous to the lungs as cigs or worse..

Thomas3.20.2010

That brings us to the genetic component which yes, they have found a gene that says this person having tried mj will like it more than that one. So I do see your point, Drifter. Harm Reduction is a good policy. I'm a fan of comparative risk so if the risk from losing excessive weight, for example, due to chemo is greater than the risk of getting a pot related illness - the choice for me would be to smoke. I just don't see that happening because of my lung issues!

Thomas3.20.2010

Thank You, Deb! I'm glad you pointed out that you can get THC as a pill when it is medically called for! 

jawidge

I'm afraid for me it would be just another HUGE TRIGGER!! 

Sootie

Thomas---GREAT QUESTION!!!!   I love a good discussion with everyone feeling at ease to state their opinion. I have to say that I can only answer for myself---I would be like George---it would be a HUGE trigger for me so I don't see it as an aide for quitting smoking. I also don't think inhaling anything into our lungs is what the lungs were intended to do. HOWEVER, in a situation where it would alleviate pain---the person would need to be their own guide. But to quit smoking cigarettes--I don't see it.

Thomas3.20.2010

Thank You everyone for calmly discussing this issue and giving a nice array of opinions while being respectful! I hope this will be helpful for anyone who might be thinking about using marijuana as an alternative to nicotine! Everyone CHOOSE Wisely with EYES WIDE OPEN! Be Healthy and Happy!

gypsy6

Thomas, I have to agree with Mari, a smoke is a smoke is a smoke all day.  There is no in between.  This is like being a little bit pregnant. LOL.  Great discussion question.

sandee

You don't have to smoke medical... You can have it in butter form, pill form... don't need to smoke it..

and If a vaproizor is used it's much safer... But just so you all know that I have been quit for well over 2 years..(thank you ex!)

and did NOT use marijuana as an aide...  I totaly agree with Dale that it should Not be used to help a person quit smoking cigarettes.  

About the Author
63 years old. 20 year smoker. 11 Years FREE! Diagnosed with COPD. Choosing a Quality LIFE! It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. -Galatians 5:1