cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Protect Your Quit

Billy_8-3-2013
1 14 41

Wow.  Three years smoke free today.  It has been a journey and one I'm very happy I took.  It required the driving desire to not smoke as I fought it tooth and nail.  Not the way you're suppose to do it, but the way it worked for me.

I've been here before.  I quit smoking in 1981 when I was just in my twenties.  I didn't smoke for five years.  Then in 1986, thirty years ago, my mother died of lung cancer and I went to the bar, got drunk, and bought a pack of cigarettes.  Didn't make any more sense then as it does now, but that is what happened.  It took another twentyseven years to come back to my senses.

Rejoice in your quit, but protect it with everything you have.  I don't worry that drinking will affect my quit this time as I quit drinking ten years ago.  But there are plenty of other things that can lead you off course.  Just be careful.  If you're like me, your quit is very important to you.

Once again, I would like to thank this wonderful group for helping me get where I am.  I wish everyone continued success.  It gets easier with time and all of your smoking friends will be envious.  You just gotta love it!  Now it's time for a little happy dance.

14 Comments