cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Probably a dumb question.

j_tanner
0 9 16

Ok, so I was talking to a co worker on break earlier. He is someone I used to smoke with a lot, and he was smoking while we were talking. Without thinking he blew smoke in my face, and I know he just didn't think, because he freaked when he realized what he'd done. I reassured him it was ok, just as long as he is careful to not do it again. The problem is, with the taste and smell sticking with me, I'm kinda freaking out. I mean, I won't have to do day one all over again right? I don't feel like I smoked, in point of fact I didn't, but with the taste and smell, I hope I didn't actually get any nicotine! I think it's a silly worry, I just can'take the doubt go away.

9 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Actually not a dumb question at all!

Although I don't think reseting your quit date is necessary, I'm very glad that you take second hand smoke very seriously!

It can risk your quit to hang out with smokers! The second hand smoke does stimulate the brain recepors that you are trying to shut down.

The second hand smoke also does effect your health in very negative way!

Just stay away ( several feet ) from smokers and be aware that even thirdhand smoke is detrimental to your health! 

Storm.3.1.14

No, no...please don't reset your quit clock over this. If this was the rule, we'd all have to get bounced back to Day One just for passing a smoker on the street, or walking into an office building or airport. You did not light a cigarette on purpose, put it in your mouth, and inhale. You did not smoke. Your quit is safe.

Did you get nicotine into your system? Probably. Did you CHOOSE to PUT nicotine into your system. No. I'm proud of you for giving this issue serious thought, though; it is a real consideration for someone who is responsibly recovering from drug use.

If it were me, I'd keep my quit clock running, I'd chalk it up to an "unexpected environmental exposure", and I'd take steps to minimize or eliminate a repeat.

Thanks for bringing up an interesting topic!

Barbara145

YOU DID NOT SMOKE.  You are good!  Hang in there, you are doing great!!!!

j_tanner

K, kinda what I thought, just with the smell stuck in my nose, nico demon won't shut up! Thank you for responding so quickly. Guess I just need a shower and some mouth wash! Thank you so much!

GreenThumb3

I'm around a chain smoker at work does not bother me now but I realy tried to stay as far away as possible for first few months would be nice not to be exposed to it but right now is not a option for me ,stay strong 

JonesCarpeDiem

well, you got through it, don't smoke now!

how many do you figure you inhaled anywho? lol

Giulia

The only reason you'd have to do Day One over again is if you put a cigarette in your mouth, light it and take one single puff.  You didn't.  So don't worry about it.  We walk by smokers all the time.  We inhale it.  We don't relapse over it.  Yes, I, even now after all my years smoke free, once in a blue moon I'll pass a smoker by and just go "yum!"  It smells good to me.  So what?  Doesn't mean I'm gonna go charging off after one to lose my quit and have another Day One.  Does it bring on a craving?  Yeah.  And so what?  Cravings pass.  The more time you have in, the more you'll understand that this is simply the nature of this addiction and our journey through it.  In the beginning it's harder because you haven't yet gotten your sea legs (so to speak).  With time you'll just say "oh yeah, another one.   No big deal" and move on.  The important thing to remember is - DON'T SIT THERE DWELLING ON IT.  For that way leads to relapse.  You're fine.  Keep on.

pir8fan

The only dumb question is the one you do not ask! It is good that your quit is this important to you! Make sure your friends know that it is more important to you than their casual failure to respect your accomplishment!

annb
This was a great question!!! I've wondered myself and kept forgetting to ask!! I was outside chatting with a smoker and yikes realized I might be getting some nicotine so I excused myself. Then I did wonder .... Don't want to wake up those receptors!!! No no no!!! :). Good job on your quit!!!