cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Preparing for the quit date.

crowing87
0 14 175

I'm 20 years old and I have been smoking for going on 7 years. I am 13 days away from my quit date, and until then I am working on recognizing my urges and what causes them. I have tried to quit a few times before to  no avail, but this website seems like it could be a great help.

If anyone here has any advice at all to give feel free.

14 Comments
Patty-cake

Hello Crow and welcome to EX. I commend you on being so young and quitting. You have the power to beat this addiction. You'll receive great support here on EX. There are lots of suggested readings you'll get here. One in particular is a book by Allen Carr. This book will help you look at quitting smoking in a different light.  It has helped so many folks here on EX get their quit started. Below is a link to a free pdf. For most, it's an easy read.

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

My biggest suggestion is to educate yourself on nicotine addiction and understand that the addicted mind plays games on you.

When you are ready to commit, we are here to help. Follow the guidelines here on EX so you can learn to do some separation exercises.

You can do this. 🙂

Michwoman

Smart move quitting at a young age! Take it from a middle aged woman it only gets tougher.  There are sooo many things that will help you.

1. Read Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Here is a link to it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

2. Go to whyquit.com and watch some of the many short videos.

3. Go to quitsmokingonline.com.

None of these resources will lecture you about the hazards of smoking. They will educate you on nicotine addiction which is the real key to quitting for good.

I won't wish you luck because luck does not play into this at all contrary to what many believe. It's all about education and committment. We're pulling for you!! You can do this~

crowing87

Thank you both so much. I will definitely be reading Mr. Carr's book.
I live in an area where it is very common to start smoking young, and where smoking is very common in general. It is hard for me to find the support to quit that I need, and it means a lot to me to have your help and encouragement. I appreciate it so much.

Patty-cake

Stick close to us Crow, we'll help get you there!

Nyima_1.6.13

Welcome Crow, looks like Patty and Laura got you to all the reading resources.  Educating myself really made the difference for me! You will learn what to expect and learn about addiction! Knowledge is power! Maybe you'll set a good example and start a new trend in your area! You'll certainly have better health than your smoking friends! Congrats on your decision, you should be proud of yourself!

YoungAtHeart

Congratulations on your decision to quit so young.  It is the BEST thing you can do for yourself.  

Yes, when others see that you have done it, perhaps you can show them the way!  Don't be one of "those" ex-smokers and lecture everyone - but DO let them know how much better you feel, that you have gotten your taste and smell back, that you can take a deep, deep breath without coughing - and SHOW them what you buy with the money you save!  

Welcome to the site!  Let us know when you need advice and support.  We all want to help you be successful!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

Rxbecca1981

We are here for you. We know you can do this! 

Valerie30

Congratulations on your quit date.  I agree with my friend Nancy, it's the best thing you can do for yourself and you are so young.  You can do it.  You have to be determined and stay focused on your goal to quit.  Keep on this site and if you need to reach out to me I will be here for you as so many of the community has been there and continue to be there for me. 

Remember, one second at a time, one minute at a time and one day at a time..

Let me know if you need support..

Valerie

63 days!

joyeuxencore

Hi crow and welcome to EX! How fantastic that you are quitting so young! GOOD for you...

The MOST important thing you can do is educate yourself about the addiction by reading, reading and more reading! Continue PREPARING to quit by following the steps on the EX homepage and stay around here to learn about how to get through the first week or so...A quit PLAN as it were...so glad you are here! Xo

www.quitsmokingonline.com     

http://whyquit.com/whyquit/LinksAAddiction.html

Helpful in your first few days:

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_21_blood_sugar.html

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/pir8fan-blog/2013/01/15/key-to-freedom-remember-your-lifeli...

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/SkyGirl-blog/2013/03/07/skygirl-broken-record      

Also here are some great videos from whyquit.com to help prepare:  http://whyquit.com/joel/dayzero.htm  

erixtonka

welcome. i too am new to this site, but i have to say they are a great group of people with our best interest at heart. i am halfway thru reading Mr. Carrs book. it has been a great hlep to me understanding the addiction and the ways the brain and media trick us into thinking we need it. but the book is helping me understand why i don't need them. Good luck on your endeavors and I congratulate you for realizing at a young age you need to quit.

freeneasy

Congratulations- I don't think you will regret your decision to quit. You will hear the acronym N.O.P.E. here a lot. It stands for Not one puff ever and it has worked for me so far. I quit smoking when I was 21 an bummed a cigarette from a friend about 4 years later and kept on smoking. That was over 30 years ago. You have everything to gain and nothing to lose by quitting.

Stac2

Welcome.  I am a newbie.  This site has helped me tremendously and I doubt I could have quit without it.  Stay close and get on here as often as you can.  The readings are critical too.  I tried doing it without the support my first few weeks and boy do I wish I had come here first.  The mental part of the quit is the key.  The readings will show you why and, better yet, how.  You have taken the best first step - get on here, educate yourself, get support.  You will find amazing friends on here.  One tip:  I liked the quitsmokingonline readings alot.  But I wanted to be able to carry around w/ me.  If you send them a small donation they will send you the readings in pdf format which you can print.  If you decide that is something you would like to do and you find any difficulty getting the pdf let me know and I'll help you. 

Listen to the Exers on here who have welcomed you with open arms.   They are amazing people.

You can do this.  Freeneasy has it so right - you have everything to gain and nothing to lose.  You are so young.  Good for you to do this now so that you have a better life ahead.  Getting rid of cigarettes is truly freedom.  The big lie that is a relaxing habit is so untrue - all it does is leave you itching to get to the next one, and missing life inbetween.  I can't tell you how many nice events I have been to in my life where all I could think was when can I get out of here so I can go smoke.  To be able to now actually enjoy and relax through a nice meal out with a friend is truly living.  It is freedom.  I wish I had quit long ago, but better late than never.

nicool

As my sister told me when I first decided to quit 2 years ago,"Don't quit quitting." The intention being if you slip up or if you just continue smoking after your quit date, keep trying. Every day is a new opportunity to quit. Congratulations! I am 13 days in, feels great.

Linda239

Congrats, you have taken the hardest step.  I'm 121 days in and still have my moments.  Just get on this site any time you need to and just (if anything) read a blog or post one yourself.  Everyone here has been very helpful for me.  That is a really great thing you are doing by starting so young.  Just remember NOT ONE MORE PUFF after your start date and you will do great!  I'm am so glad I quit.   After 44 years it does not get any easier.  I just wish I would have stopped when I was young.  But bottom line, it is never too late.