cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Prep-work - Dealing with Dopamine

Leeza
0 6 61

When I quit smoking, I will no longer be feeding those nicotine receptors and cravings will arise.  What will I do to make my brain a happier place...

I must anticipate that my brain will look to get its dopamine from where ever it can.  My receptors will want to get a pleasure rush like they did from the nicotine.  If I'm depriving my brain of its dopamine, it might make it easy for my addiction to hop on to something else like sugar.  Therefore as part of my prep work I have been decreasing my sugar intake and now only put sugar in my first mug of black tea each day.  I have read that sugar alters brain chemistry by disrupting and depleting dopamine levels.  I have also eliminated all artificial sweeteners.  The remainder of the day I drink herbal no caffeine teas or plain seltzer water.  I am also working on limiting processed foods particularly those high in sugar.  I do allow myself one square per day of a Lindt Excellence Extra Dark Chocolate 85% Bar because it contains tyrosine, which is linked to an increase of dopamine.

I have also read that natural health experts estimate over half of the U.S. population may be deficient in magnesium which can also cause decreased levels of dopamine.  Some common symptoms include food food cravings (salt or carbs), muscle pains and spasms, fatigue, headaches and mood swings.  So I plan on taking 400 mg of magnesium glycinate everyday as a preventive measure.

In researching ways to increase my dopamine levels naturally, I found that meditation, exercise and listening to music will be healthier alternatives than the nicotine.  I just started doing a body scan meditation I found on youtube.  I need to make this a daily habit.

6 Comments
bonniebee

I have done quit smoking self hypnosis videos on youtube which I found helpfule in the early days of my quit but please tell me what a body scan is sounds interesting .

Excersize is a great way to  increase dopamine in the brain . Helps prevent depression

JACKIE1-25-15

You are only depriving your brain of "artifical" dopamine when you quit smoking.  The brain has a wonderful supplyof its own if you just give it time.  Being free from nicotine is great doapmine in itself Music helps to release dopamine.  Talking to a love one.  Watching a good movie.  Dancing, Singing, Laughing.   Taking a walk.  You will be suprised how wonderful it feels to get the real stuff. (dopamine) So much better. 

Leeza

Bonnie...

If you want to test drive body scan click on this link: 

Guided Meditation with Jon Kabat-Zinn. The Body Scan

Thomas3.20.2010

Jon Kabat-Zinn is the BEST!

TerrieQuit

Nice blog. I am glad you are preparing. You will love all the true hits of dopamine you will get, once you have a good quit going, and just by living life, which is also easier once you have quit.

Don't Quit on your Quit!

Ladybug--7-3-12
Nice to see a educated, mindful & analytical approach for the personal changes you deem you want (& necessary) to create the new smoke free you. Attagirl. Patty