cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Podcast worth listening

Cbefree
8 7 132

Hello all -I'm a huge podcast listener, it's great company when doing chores. NPR "Hidden Brain" landed 4/15/24 titled "The Curious Science of Cravings".  If we haven't heard it before and we will hear it again, smoking is the most difficult addiction to kick, I swelled with pride that I have joined the many who continue to succeed one day at a time. One point Judson Brewer discussed was; if the strategy is avoid the triggers imagine a smokers lighting up 20 times a day and try to avoid that. Anyway he said it better than I just did...

7 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Maybe it's because my work life involved an almost constant noise bombardment- phone ringing, people stopping in and talking, boss needing things, crises one after another....but I cannot stand to listen to podcasts.  I ADORE my silence and listening to the birds and bees and other nature sounds.  I thought I would get over it, but 12 years in, I still like my quiet.  

Glad you have found something that you enjoy that also educates you a bit.  ALL good!  I had heard that nicotine was as difficult an addiction from which to break free as cocaine and alcohol.  I had not heard it was more difficult.  WOW!

We all, then, do have a reason to be proud!  Yay, US!

Barbscloud

@Cbefree I've always heard nicotine is as addictive as heroin.  Don't know if that's a reality, but it is highly addictive.  You have every right to be proud of your success.  You're doing the work and you're seeing the results.

Not a podcast listener, but I enjoy listening to music when I'm doing chores.  It keep me moving.

Barb

JonesCarpeDiem

Self talk rewrites the neural pathways

"I don't do that anymore"

SuzyQ411

@Cbefree 

@JonesCarpeDiem 

@Barbscloud 

@YoungAtHeart 

YAY TO US!

NICOTINE -FREE : THE WAY TO BE!!

❤️ 

SuzyQ411

@Cbefree ~ I just love NPR!!

Thyme

@Cbefree 

I like podcasts too, I will have to see if I can find this. I think what’s really helped my quit this time is understanding nicotine as an addiction instead of just a habit. I would love to learn more about what is going on in the brain because I think that helps me to counter the delusional thoughts that addiction can produce that justify and rationalize smoking. Thanks for sharing and congrats to everyone on your continued success.

biscuit9

@Cbefree   "I swelled with pride....", you should be proud.  This is not an easy addiction to overcome and I have heard this addiction being compared to a heroin addiction many times and I have no problem, whatsoever, believing that it is.  Don't ever take your quit for granted.  Stay vigilant.

About the Author
Recently retired at 69 which means I've smoked for over 50 years! Serial quitter like many of you, this time it's different. I've never had an opportunity to stay this present in a quit. In reading old posts of mine, I welcomed feeling everything & do I ever! All feelings are heightened good/bad/indifferent. I've lived in the Sierra foothills since 2003, very happy to be retiring here and be addiction-free.