cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Planning

isontwelve
0 10 28

I just got a pack of smokes early this morning after bumming from my brother a couple of days.

I have been thinking of quiting smoking very much. So after listeneing to some music this morning I did a bing search for quit smoking and found bedcomeanex.org

I have this pack to finish and I set a quit date for the 21st of May. I feel smoking is really hindering who I am.

I usually end up trying cold turkey which never works. I have used ecigs but they get overridden with tobacco.

I hope something works out soon. Meanwhile I plan to research more on becomeanex.org.

10 Comments
Ms.J_11-10-2013

Welcome to the site, you have come to the right place.  The key to this whole quit thing is first of all the right mind set- you have to WANT to quit.  Stick close to this site, read, absorbe and learn.  The elders will be along soon with links to reading material.  Everyone has their own unique way to approach and maintain the quit and you will find yours. 

Ms "J"

Courage

Yes, definitely all in the mindset.  I don't have the links myself, but start by reading Allen Carr's The Easy Way.  It comes in PDF, but I brought it for my Kindle.  This book will really help you understand that what we have is a drug addiction hence the mindset is most important. 

I smoked for 40 years and was even willing to deny that I had been diagnosed with early stages of lung disease, but it started to get much worse.  I'm grateful to say that I'm at 28 days today and breathing easier. 

Come join us on this wonderful, healthy journey! 

isontwelve

A problem I face during this quit smoking plan is living with my brother. I cant throw out his ashtrey and lighters. We were talking on living together. I came from TN to AZ to visit him. I really have the choice to live where I want and right now I'm leaning towards being on my own again. I'm not sure what to do knowing he would love the help with me being there as far as living arrangements but I still want to move on my own way too.

SarahP

Congrats on your decision, and welcome!  You've found the best support group on the web! 

My advice -- read, read, read. The better you understand this addiction and the mind games that go along with it, the better equipped you will be to defeat it!  Here are the two resources many of our members have found extremely helpful:

The free Allen Carr book you can download at:
http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

The 10-lesson course at:
http://www.quitsmokingonline.com

Work through the plan on this site -- track your triggers, practice the separation exercises, and do the readings. You can do this and we can help!

Storm.3.1.14

Hey, Justin, welcome to EX!

I'm really glad you have set a quit date in May. This will give you adequate time to read everything you can about nicotine addiction. This program here will shed new light on the habit and ritual of smoking, too. There is an exercise here that will require you to keep track of when you smoke and why you smoked that cigarette. It takes about 5 or 6 days to complete, so you'll have time to slowly do this exercise and not skip it.

In fact, don't rush through any section of this program. 2 days of cramming here won't do a thing to gradually prepare you.

You'll also be asked to PRACTICE separating from a few of your cigarettes BEFORE you actually quit. Man, this step is so incredibly important. The last thing you want to do is quit smoking without ever having PRACTICED quitting.

This support community works wonders for so many people. You could be one of them, too...but you have to invest in the group by posting blogs about your progress and concerns, and by offering support in the comments section of other people's blogs. It's give and take around here.

Finally, as for your brother...well, that's a very personal decision. If you decide to move in with him, know that there is a section of this program that addresses the issue of quitting smoking while living with a smoker, and many folks here are successfully not smoking while staying married to smoking spouse. You might find both of these resources to be helpful in coexisting with him. OR, if you feel that preserving your own life is more important than helping your brother with his, then - yes! - set up a home of your own, and focus on your health and well-being. Bottom line is that your brother has to make his own decisions, and he has to like them or not. Struggle or not. The same is true for you, of course.

Welcome to EX!

STORM (Day 54)

Jules7

Doing everything necessary to get and protect your quit includes your living situation. You can't change your brothers behavior but perhaps he would be willing to smoke outside. If you want the quit bad enough you will be able to see people smoking and continue on as a non-smoker. 

jojo_2-24-11

Hi and welcome. This is the best support group I've found and doing the homework and staying on track and coming here first before you light up is such a benefit to quitting and maintaining a quit. You will not find a better way, in my opinion. 

isontwelve

Thanks Storm and all.

I would love to see my brother(s) quit too. He smokes less than I but steady. As far as living arrangements I really just feel more like I want to be on my own..nothing to do with smoking but at the same time if I'm on my own I want to be sure to start quiting now.

I do have a bit of a goal or interest to say and that is possible to move to china on a visa hopefully in the near future. This would be helpful in quiting due to the culture and dynamics to life there. I visited Taiwan last year which is inspirational looking back now. Of course the mainland is more where I want to be but have never been there. This moving Idea came to me recently. I need to think more on it and do some research.

I also eneded up in paris some time after Taiwan last year. Living on the streets 3 months in paris was rough but the last month there I invested in an ecig. and quit smoking tobacco for the whole month. I lost about 25lbs from walking on the streets so much. Since I've been back state side I have gained a little weight back and smoke ciggarettes again. I know looking back after that good month in paris I felt great. I want to feel great again and better than then once I quit for good.

I'm thinking yoga classes too after I get situated living somewhere.

freeneasy

Congratulations  on your decision to quit. It is one of the best things you can do for yourself. When you do your preparation and decide on a quit aid  you will learn that-the ecig is not approved by the FDA as a quit aid. Welcome to EX.  Here is a link to another helpful site.http://quitsmoking.about.com/

Strudel

Hi and welcome! You have come to the right place! Please do the reading Sarah gave you - it has helped so many of us - including me, and I smoked for 40 years! You can do this!