cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Physical changes as we stop smoking...

marcuspotter
0 5 28

What changes have you experienced since you quit?

My first week I noticed I could breathe easier and didn't cough as much. 

The second week I wasn't wheezing anymore and caffeine was a much stronger stimulant than it had been.

Week 4, my hair and skin felt different. My hair felt softer and my skin wasn't as dry. I did have a couple of breakouts but nothing too bad. 

Now at 7 weeks, my seasonal allergies are more pronounced and I get indigestion with foods I never did before. 

My diet hasnt changed and I've gained 20 pounds but I'm just starting to work out. 

What have you noticed or experienced?

5 Comments
Icandothis8

I have noticed breathing much easier, weight gain (but whatever I am not smoking the nasties), smells and tastes are much better - allergies better - as I usually get a sinus infection 2 x a year (SO FAR SO GOOD) for the spring infection.  More Stamina, love the springtime and the scents of everything - life is good - weight gain is easier to deal with when you can walk longer without wheezing 🙂 

misty_dawn

Your body will go through a lot of changes from quitting.  If you were to fill up a bottle with years of the toxins equal to the amount you smoked.....Your body is healing and it isn't always pretty and can be bothersome.

Caffiene if often reduced to 1/2 of what the previous intake was because nicotine is a stimulant as well.

Digestive issues are fairly common.  I had to change my eating to very 'clean' for a long time to make it easier for my body.

Weight can happen if you don't catch it right away.  Often when you quit smoking your don't notice the increase in food intake because you are distracted with hell week, withdrawel and relearning life without them.

Your metabolism also slows down because nicotine triggered a false spike in blood sugar every time you had one and speeds up your metabolism by about 200 calories per day on average..

😛

wishingstar

I eat more, have more energy, I don't run out of breath, . I smell better.  I still have a sore troat wihich  I did not notice before. But over all I'm happy to be free

Renee 3 weeks and 6 days

Thomas3.20.2010

nicotine's chemical properties are addictive. if you take that nicotine away from your bodyit will miss it and you will experience physical and mental withdrawal symptoms. these symptoms surf...,while some are unpleasantwill only be transitionary and once you're rid of themwill leave you feeling much better after quitting smoking. emotional withdrawal some of the most com...sad and hopeless. hence it is important to surround yourself with people,preferably non smokers and friends who will support your decision to quit smoking. angry: emotional ...but you know what's happening to your body. the age-old remedy of counting till 10 isn't such a bad ...thinkregain your calm and composure before losing your cool. bored: you may have noticed that when you we...tired or depressed you tend to smoke. now that you are on your way to a smoke free life replace thes...impatient and irritable. if your friends are busytake up a dance class or cooking class. it is important to expect these feelings of lonelinessso stay prepared. mood swing: tempers will flare and tantrums will increase. these are not exactly p...this will throw your emotional reactions to daily happenings into a tizzy. most quitters will need h...maybe? physical withdrawal nicotine obstructs the flow of oxygen and nutrients to various parts of t...your body has to hit the reverse button to detox. bowel discomfort: it's time to change your diet an...nauseaflatulence and constipationtherefore it is important to increase roughage and exercise your body. nasal and throat problems: wh...your nose and throat will try to clear the mucous that has accumulated over the years. you may exper...dry throat and mouth. fluids are the key to clearing this process. increase in appetite: craving for...the way out of it is with massagesplenty of water and rest. gently massage your templedrink watertake a hot shower and take a deep breathe. lack of sleep: you may experience insomnia after you quit...do breathing exercises too and most importantly avoid coffee closer to bed-time. restlessness/lack o...transfer this energy into something constructive. in these situations smokes would calm your nervesbut now switch off that thought and cultivate a new habit. you may feel you can't concentrate too; t...especially if you indulge in unhealthy food. but don't be dejectedyou can cut it out with exercise and the right diet. sweating and shaky hands and feet: you will fee...the period of withdrawal will cause some skin trouble. some people with sensitive skin might break o...,tongue and mouth. the reason is simply that your body is letting go of the toxins and levelling up. ...after reading these withdrawal symptomsthe one thought any quitter must focus on is this: the fact that your body is changing so much when ...simply showcases how much it is continuously changed and affected while you still smoke. avoid poor ...

I EXperienced things differently because I have COPD!  My breathing got worse instead of better in the first weeks and then better after a few Months of recovery ( and medicine!) I had terrible insomnia and a kind of buzzy anxiety for about 10 days. I got a lot done! With time, each symptom faded away...

Michwoman

Your list pretty much mirrors mine except I can add weird very vivid dreams to the list, which I am still having. But I have been sleeping pretty well. 

I'm a non-smoker and that's really all that I care about for the time being. The rest of it will resolve themselves over time.

It's all good! Congrats on 7 weeks!