cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Phew!

scubavernie
0 9 10

End of day 15 approaching, 15 days of not lighting up a cigarette, ending the slavery.

I live in SC where cigarettes are pretty cheap - money was not on my list of reasons to quit, but I just did that calculator and I'm up to $50 already, and now my mind is racing with what to do with my extra time and money!

With a hectic lifestyle, Full Time professional career, 5 year old child, & the majority of household chores, cooking, cleaning, shopping, washing, etc, I have been planning ahead as much as I can to avoid those stressful last minute situations that may drive you to smoke, but in fact without smoking, I actually have 15 minutes MORE in the morning to get organized....until this morning when I decided to use the time to stay in bed longer, then had a mad panic to get out the door. Not once did I fall back on the "oh no I'm stressed must smoke" scenario that has directed me for the past years, like a puppet on a string. 

So I'm one step (hour, day, week) further, and one step closer to freedom. Every time I feel bad I just say to myself, Not One Puff Ever, and one day at a time, always...and thankful for this community to keep us all strong. 

p.s I love the idea I read yesterday of taking on the battle of life and death now, rather than later with serious hospitalization and no prospect of survival in the future. Which do you chose.. 

9 Comments
Nyima_1.6.13

Sounds like you have a great attitude and are doing great ! Congrats on 15 days!

YoungAtHeart

Great quititude.  You ARE doing this and doing it well   Stay strong and stay committed.

Congratulations on more than TWO weeks!

Nancy

Quit 7/4/12

JonesCarpeDiem

great job...freedom now and in your future!

you can never regret that

Legend

Congratulations on your 15 days great job!!! 

freeneasy

Way to go!

erict

Fantastic job!  Stress is my biggest trigger as well as has been the one that has triggered every relapse I've had, so it's pretty awesome you're getting through it.  Keep it going!  WOOHOO!!!!!

marg-cavill

I am soon to be 57 years old with 5 kids and 6 grandkids. I am so ashamed to say that I smoked in the house and hospital when they were babies.

Keep up the good work on being there for your child.

My 28 year old daughter just sent it home to me 2 months ago. She told me that she needed me to be there for her and if I continued to smoke I was not going to be around more than 5 years, for her or my grandkids (which I live for and give me energy). She is RIGHT! I have never been sick. Had bronchitis this past winter and the ER Doc took a chest x-ray because I was a smoker. I now have copd. I still want a cig after 37 days of going cold turkey. But keep thinking of my kids changing my breathing tube or my grandkids seeing me laying in the bed and not understanding what is wrong with their grandma. Please, Please, Please never ever take another puff for your child. Please msg me and I will call you when you need help. I will give you my # so I can talk you thru that next BIG “think” you need to smoke. I am still having trouble at times and want to give up the fight and just go have one puff. I see cigs in parking lots which have a few puffs left. Oh how discussing that I would ever think of picking up one of them and put in my mouth, I am a germ freak! But I look at them often and want to pick them up and light. What the heck germs do they have? Then I think they have been laying in the sun so there should be no germs. Pick it up and light it is what my mind keeps saying. That is my struggle after 5 weeks.

Don’t want to be a downer. I want to be the best message that I can be for you and your child. Cigs ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND.  I thought they were but they were not. They have given me sooooooooo many health problems that I have never thought cigs would give you. I thought I would give  lung or mouth cancer. I now have so many cancers and they are saying it was all because of my smoking. Shoot didn’t want to post here but will do it to maybe give encouragement to someone else to quit this “friend”. I now have cervical cancer, stomach cancer, and throat cancer. I am sure if I live that long I will have liver, kidney and etc cancer. Smoking is NOT YOUR FRIEND, It tricks you into thinking you that it is your friend. Cigs had been my best friend for 39 years. I thought that I needed this friend. But now I know that I need to stand up and speak for myself and say you are KILLING ME! I never speak up for myself but I need to speak up for all those wonderful people that I want to be my friend. And yes you cigs are not my friend anymore. The people on this site are ALL my friends and going to say good bye to you as you are tricking them into thinking you are you are their friend. Thank you all my new friend.

cory-3-10-13

I love your attitude! I've found that being an ex smoker gives me A LOT more time to get things done, too.  Just make sure you also take some time to do things just for YOU!  Like Dale says, "you gotta do some cocooning, to be a butterfly".  Have an awesome smoke free day!

joyeuxencore

Your attitude makes it possible to stay quit...congratulations! Thomas calls it "quititude"...Your awesome "quititude" will sustain you and is contagious for the rest of us!!! GREAT JOB!!! So glad you are here!!!! xo