cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Periods of our Growth

marilyn_marmac
0 9 14

I just posted this on Sky Girls blog but decided it needed a blog all to itself. To me, it accurately describes the period of "growth" we have when we give up nicotine.

“Some periods of our growth are so confusing that we don’t even recognize that growth is happening. We may feel hostile or angry or weepy and hysterical, or we may feel depressed. It would never occur to us, unless we stumbled on a book or a person who explained to us, that we were in fact in the process of change, of actually becoming larger, spiritually, than we were before. Whenever we grow, we tend to feel it, as a young seed must feel the weight and inertia of the earth as it seeks to break out of its shell on its way to becoming a plant. Often the feeling is anything but pleasant. But what is most unpleasant is the not knowing what is happening. Those long periods when something inside ourselves seems to be waiting, holding its breath, unsure about what the next step should be, eventually become the periods we wait for, for it is in those periods that we realize that we are being prepared for the next phase of our life and that, in all probability, a new level of the personality is about to be revealed.”

Alice Walker, Living by the Word

9 Comments
Barbara145

That is awesome, I love it.  Thank you for posting it.  I was just thinking about this earlier today.  I know it is true but sometimes I doubt especially when things seem so difficult at times.  It is wonderful to just remind myself that God hasnt forgotten me.  I am just growing for what he has coming next.

helenb208

That was so good, it does help me just knowing all of us are going through the same thing.Helen.

Polynha

I love this, it is so true!

ladybug21

thanks for that post! I am happy to keep waiting for positive change. I just hiked the mountain i live on, and I walked straight up instead of traversing using zig zag like i had to do last year when I smoked. Noway I could have done it like I did today, only 43 days quit, and my lungs feel clear and easy. This is a GREAT way to change !!!

lois2

i sure like your blog ,it makes you stop and think,

Strudel

I just told Sky how much I liked this! So glad you decided to put it in a blog! 

elvan

Great way to look at it, I have been confused by this new, shall we say somewhat assertive me, partly because I am so very used to just trying to make people happy...that makes me sound like a martyr and that is not what I am going for.  I am just not used to making waves...I get worried when I think I may have offended someone or made someone angry, I always blame myself and those were the times I smoked.  Now, I am trying to come to the conclusion that this is who I am SUPPOSED to be, I am not supposed to quietly accept it if someone runs over me.  This is growth, I am not far out but this is growth and I am committed to recognizing my progress even when it is confusing and it is often confusing.

Thanks again for the post.

joyeuxencore

You beautiful lady...Thanks! xo

moody_9-18-13

Life is only about love.

If it were about anything else, what would it be about?