cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Pause for a brief rant

dogzilla
0 14 16

I just stepped outside my office to smoke. A co-worker spotted the cig in my hand and started telling me horrible tales of her now-dead relatives who died from smoking-caused diseases. Another nearby co-worker joined in. I thanked them both for making me feel like a complete piece of shit. She said, "That was the point," smugly convinced she'd done a Good Deed™ with her negative crap.

If she hadn't just dropped her little shitbomb of judgment on me and walked away, I would have started asking her about the long-term negative health effects of her obesity.

This is why I avoid smoking near my office. I've been known to get in the car and drive a block away to a parking lot to smoke. I am well aware of what smoking is doing to my body. Telling people like that that I've set a quit date is pointless. They will only criticize and condescend. "Well, why don't you just quit right now?"

Because it's none of your goddamned business why or when I will or won't quit, okay? If it is, then I get to sit next to you at lunch time and recount all the things that the cheeseburger & fries you're eating are going to do to your arteries. For all she knows, I'm suicidal but chickenshit. Maybe I want to die a slow, horrible, agonizing death before I'm 50, ever think of that?

All she really accomplished is making me want to go smoke because she jacked up my stress level so badly. I'm not looking for advice here, I just needed to vent. Sometimes, I really, really, really just frigging hate people.

14 Comments