cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Pacing Less

nickytechniques
0 7 17

It's weird how you notice small things like that when quitting; legs aren't so sore, less pacing, physically actually more relaxed.  But EMOTIONALLY? wound up tight, raw, the source of the discontentment.  I am Emotionally attatched to the buggers!

Working on my second FULL day without them and I keep reading blogs here to remind myself why I'm doind this.  I'm relatively young, and a lot of folks here keep expressing their desire to get through to those who don't HAVE to quit (because of a disease) but WANT to.  That's me.

Lately I haven't been able to focus on my art projects, but I'm not going to worry about that just yet.  One of the tricks cigarettes play on me is this lie that I am more productive and focused when I smoke.  I don't think that is true.  If you have had that feeling, or know what I'm talking about and you have some substantial quit time behind you: please tell me I'll be MORE focused and productive, not less!

Good day.

7 Comments
bobolots

well I don't have any time behind me really, 5 days and that's a blink.

I do know that I've gotten more work done this week than recent months. I am concentrating extra hard on my work so I don't think about cigarettes. I thought they let me concentrate more but they don't - I sew for fun... clothing, home dec, etc. lately I noticed that I really wasn't getting anything done b/c I was stopping all the time to put the cig in the ashtray, pic it up, drag off it, etc. No - they don't make you more productive.

nope

kathys

Everything you mention is typical of day two. The hardest part for me was to keep myself busy. If I sat idle for a minute, my mind would go right back to smoking. I was antsy and restless. This will pass and you will be very happy that you made the choice to quit. Hang in there and ride this out. It is worth it.

AutumnWoman

The first couple of weeks are a bit rough for concentration.  I remember sleeping a lot during my first week quit.  But as you get used to being without cigarettes and nicotine you'll discover that you get back a lot of the time you were really wasting by smoking.  All of a sudden there'll be all this time available for creative projects, home repairs, exercising, etc.  You may also discover that you are feeling less stressed and irritable as your quit goes along, not to mention that you might discover a lot about yourself as you go through recovery from this addiction.  I think many people here would tell you that their lives expanded as a result of quitting; I'm one of them.  I've been nicotine free for 590 days.

Yaya2.6.10

I am 4 months plus and went thru the same emotional stuff.  My concentration level was awful and I was edgy all the time.  It is tiring and emotionally draining, but so worth the ride.  I am now at peace with the Quit and more at peace than I have even been.  Now that I'm not trying to figure out how to have my next cig I see the lie that we all tell ourselves that cigarettes "relax" us.  Nope, just the opposite, but I had to Quit to learn it for myself.  I agree with the others that I have more time to do things, am less stressed and generally happier. 

anacondahead

"......those who don't HAVE to quit (because of a disease) but WANT to.  That's me."

Trust me - you HAVE to quit and so does everyone else who smokes. All of the nicotine is out of your system in 3 days so it gets much better after that. You body has to adjust to the absence of nicotine - what a good thing!!! You'll get your concentration back soon. Congrats on your excellent decision to quit!. Best wishes to you.

patrick-marsh

CONGRATS ON THE QUIT!! IT GETS BETTER IN TIME!! JUST KEEP ON THE QUIT!!

JonesCarpeDiem

Quit happens!

everything appears normal

i had some down days in the 50's

try to get to day 130. its magical