cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Out of the Club

so_over_it
0 5 77

I think sometimes I smoked to be "part of the club." Sometimes I just feel inherently different than everyone else. I feel like most people in the world can't relate to me and I can't relate to them and in a social environment where I don't know lots of the people...it just feels...well, awkward.

And in those situations, there are always one or two fellow smokers. And it's like, right away, when I would find the other smokers, I would know that I instantly had a friend at the party. We were cohorts in crime, the rebels, the bad guys (and girls), and these days, fellow outcasts.

I somehow felt that these people just "got it." Maybe they were a little messed up like me. Maybe they had problems. Real people problems, like me. Maybe their lives weren't all a bed of roses. Maybe they had been through some things...they had lived through tough times...I mean, there has to be something a little wrong with people who willingly inject poison into their bodies on a daily basis right? Maybe they had things they wanted to forget or escape, just like me.

In fact, when meeting fellow smokers we never talked about this sort of thing. I always thought that maybe it was just there, underlying our interactions. But we would talk and joke about how we were the only ones "crazy" enough to be outside in the cold smoking, or how relieved we were to find someone who wouldn't judge us for what we were doing. It was like our own little club. Instantaneous friendship. An instant common bond.

And it was actually kind of a cycle because the more socially unacceptable smoking became, the more of an outcast smokers became.  And whatever trouble I had relating to "normal" people would be magnified by the fact that I had revealed myself to be one of those "disgusting smokers." And so I would be even further removed from making any sort of connection with them.

And this separation and alienation made the bond with the fellow smokers even more special, and cemented our instant friendship even more. We bonded over being outcasts, which made us even more of outcasts, which made us bond even more.

Now, I am starting to wonder... when I go to a party with new people, who will I instantly befriend? Do I go hang out with the smokers but not smoke? Will they not want me there? Will I just be a constant reminder that they need to quit, but can't or don't want to yet? I feel the most like them, yet, maybe I'll no longer be welcome there.

Do I hang out with the "normal" people and stand around in awkward silence trying to find some way to relate? Do I try to pretend that I also judge those horrible smokers. Will they see through me? Will they know I'm a fraud and secretly wishing I could have "just one" without becoming addicted? 

Do I stand off in a corner by myself, stuck in some sort of no man's land?

How do I find my place as a recovering smoker? Where do I fit? 

It's tough to know that I'm out of the club. I've willingly resigned.

I'm just not sure if I should join a new one or forge on alone.

5 Comments
DF_

"The Club" was definitely cool all the way until I was about 26.  After that, smoking just became a burden in every situation EXCEPT the one you described!  Unfortunately I'm only on day 2, so I don't have an answer to your question, but I have temporarily removed myself from those social situations that made me want to smoke.  I wanted to let you know that you aren't the only one who feels this way!  I guess we will figure it out together. 

insomni

I'm on day 6 and I can definitely relate to your feelings of missing the social aspect of smoking. I actually went out for smoke breaks with my co-workers the first few days after quitting and felt better knowing that I wasnt losing them as friends just cuz I quit smoking. I also felt better knowing I was able to not smoke around them. I know putting myself in the situation isnt the best idea but it worked for me.

Just remember that if your friends stop being your friends because you don't smoke anymore, than they arent that good of friends anyway. They are most likely jealous that they dont have the strength to make the change for themselves yet. I also dont think I would want to be friends with or become a person who "judges" people still smoking. We know how hard it is to quit and how easy it is to get sucked in by the addiction. Maybe we can use our experience to educate the more judgmental people to be more supportive of those struggling with the addiction and trying to quit.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the time i dont spend smoking but I'm hoping to get involved with some other activities that will  present opportunities to join some new "clubs" Congrats on making the decision not to smoke and on your progress so far! I'm sure we'll figure it out 🙂

cheriedoo

WOW!  I really enjoyed this blog.  It was so totally true and something that I hadn't even thought of.  I've kept myself sort of isolated these past 6 days that I've been nicotine free (I work from home).  I don't really have any idea but you seem interesting enough to be able to fit in whereever you want.   You'll end up relating to people via something else like music, movies, games, etc...

Right now just sucks, but it won't always.  I know some people who have quit and stayed quit for over a year.   It'll end up all good.

Just stay strong and be better than you thought you could be.

judy41

You will be the one all the smokers envy - Hang strong!

so_over_it

Thanks so much everyone! I hope my post didn't make people miss smoking or want to smoke! I think DF is right....that  smoking had become a burden in every single situation EXCEPT this one! Insomni, you are right too, I did go outside today at work with some people who were smoking, and I was able to hang out with them without smoking, and also I noticed there were other non-smokers out there too. We all just talked and the smoking was just something some of them were doing. So that helped a lot. I don't think I'm really worried about losing my current friends, more like the new ones I could have made. I know, it's kind of silly!! hahaha. And thank you cheriedoo and Judy, your comments were both so encouraging and motivating!!!