Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

Other Cravings

jtw
0 10 17

Hello all,

Although I feel that nothing is worse than the cigarettes, unfortunately, I have traded one addiction for another. Since I have stopped drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes ( as of January 2014,) I am now craving sweets, especially Peach Cobbler and Ice cream.  At least 5 days a week.   Too old be pregnant. 

No cigarettes, no alcohol, and no sex = plenty of sweets, 

Any suggestion on how to kick this new habit would truly be appreciated.  Thanks.

Best Wishes to all on your non-smoking journey!!

10 Comments
Thomas3.20.2010

Until you get to the root of your cravings you will continue to choose unhealthy means to feel better But it won't work and the more it doesn't work the more you will go bac and back to it. Have you looked at HALT?

Hungry

Angry

Lonely

Tired?

What's really bothering you? Figure that out and address the issues head on and your compusive behaviors will stop.

stonecipher

i don't know.

I gained about 18 pounds.  I seem to be staying at that weight, though, and I needed to gain a little.

Maybe that is the case with you?

But in ANY case, don't worry about the extra eating right now.  If you are staying smoke-free that is the main concern.

And. . .um. . .if it could be worked into your life, adding sex back in might be helpful.  Just sayin'.

ms.kmartinez79
OMG! I had to laugh a little at your (no cigs no alcohol no sex= sweets) line! That is so true! And I agree with stonecipher if you can work a little sex back in to your life it won't hurt! 🙂 maybe you can try some sugar free substitutes? I know that see's candies has a good selection of them and they just might have a peach cobbler flavor too! I honestly don't see anything wrong with having it 5 day a week if u serve yourself modest portions. Just don't heap it on a turkey platter and sit in front of the tv and I think you will be ok! LOL. I understand the other craving thing tho. I have started an addiction to sunflower seeds. I found a lower sodium variety because of my high blood pressure! Good luck!
candylance

When giving up alcohol it's only normal to crave sweets. I gave it up 5 years ago and all I wanted was something sweet and to smoke. Now that I can't smoke, I've been replacing craves with food, very unwisely. This time, however, I'm DISTRACTED by grapes. Any color of seedless grapes, I love. There are only 50 calories in a cup, and that's a great substitute. I think you need to Let Go of the peach cobbler, as good as it sounds. Fruit is a great sweets substitute. Also, drink 8-10 glasses of water per day to wash out impurities and just help with craves, etc.Water. water. water!! Drink all you can before 3:00. It really helps.

Candy     d196

JonesCarpeDiem

Looking at pictures of food was recently shown to cause nearly the same release of dopamine as actually eating the food.

An orgasm causes a dramatic release and is worth looking into.

Exercise

Laughter

Music

are also wonderful non caloric stimulators of dopamine release

Roxie-1-16-2014

OMG - I WANT some of that peach dessert with ice cream!!! Dang that looks soooo good. Now that's all I'm going to be thinking about today. Good thing I have to go to work in a little while or I'd be making a trip to the store. 🙂

Sick-of-it

Lol!!! Laughter is a good thing too.  What everybody else said fruit, trail mix and water.  Just change your location, sometimes just from one room to another will help.  Now we are having better weather walking is helping me.

LouiseR

You guys are cracking me up.  Great way to start my day!!  I've got nothing.   You guys have covered it all!!

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Brings a whole new meaning to the eX site! Holy crap!

Exercise

laughter

water

grapes

orgasims

and peach cobbler

all rolled into one little blog

And it's only Tuesday!!

Ms.J"

Ms.J_11-10-2013

oppps typo S/B Orgasm