cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

On the road to recovery

vickynel
0 5 15

Today is my third day of being a non-smoker.... a non-smoker... mhh, sounds so weird...

I don't know about you guys but during the day when I am at work the cravings are bearable.... but at night when I get home! .... That's when I struggle most! I find myself thinking about smoking every other minute.... and needless to say I eat like I've never had food! Yes, I know what you're going to say.... "Try to eat healty things Vicky...." "Do some exercise to help with the wieght gain Vicky...." ....

Truth is, this process is so stressfull for me that I just don't feel like doing a push-up or going for a run.... and eating anything that's remotely healthy is just not that satisfying when the urge to smoke hits! 

I feel like going out of my mind.... I have quit smoking before, last year this time actually.... and I am nowhere near as motivated as I was the previous time! I need some serious motivation... 

5 Comments
YoungAtHeart

In the early days, cases of the blahs are also part of the process.  Maybe you could just try some slow, deep breaths, going slower and deeper and slower and deeper with each inhale/exhale?   Or - try to come up with girls'/boys' names that begin with each letter of the alphabet?  The idea is just to distract yourself for the length of the crave (usually three minutes).

OK - bottom line is that you made the decision and you quit (congratulations, btw).  Now, you just have to honor that decision!

Nancy

pero-the-vuk

Hi Vicky,

You say you like music?

I see your avatar is a guitar?

Learn to play guitar then! Or if you already have, everytime you get the urge to smoke, pick up the plank, and give it a SPANK!

Failing that, I found on my previous quit that Chinese Baoding balls are a great thing to roll around your hands, but be sure to get the ones without the bell chimes if you live with anyone!

P

Storm.3.1.14

Would you say that your current evening routine is identical to your old one? Something like dinner in front of the TV, sitting in the same cozy recliner? Or what-have-you? If so, that familiar pattern is probably causing a "harmonic echo" that calls out to your old smoking rituals. Think of ways to rearrange your evening time, but only pick things that you can see yourself enjoyably repeating for weeks to come.

Your home should now be a "safety nest" (yes, "safety NEST"), and your new evening habits and rituals should be refreshing and meaningful and interesting and doable and repeatable.

Give it a try, okay?

And those healthy snacks don't have to be just celery sticks and lettuce leaves. Try hogging out on Greek yogurt or cashews or raisins or apples or Cuties. (I gobbled up an entire (small) pouch of organic trail mix last night!)

Stay strong!

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Congratulations Vicky, that is huge and you can do it.  I took up crocheting, and it really helps to have your hands busy.  I must say I have made some of the uglyist washcloths you ever  did see (I didn't say you had to be good at it) just keep your hands busy.  I also buy sugar free hard candies to suck on that helps to.  You are almost half way thru hell week  Vicky - Be strong - breath in- breath out- wax on - wax off..  If you are not on a NRT the nicodemon is almost dead - Do not feed him.  He is a vicious basta*d and he needs to go away.  I'm behind you 100 % as with everone else on the wonderful site and as Nancy says it's also a bad case of the blah's...  I think you need to jump on Smorgys blog and come hum, skip and sing Kumbya with us all.  The smell of the clover and the fresh grass will clear your mind of all evils.

Ms. "J"

vickynel

Thank you so much for the wonderful feedback and encouragement! : )