cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

On the 8th day now....last night was a stormy night, lots of very loud thunder, endless rainfall

cheyenne7
0 12 28

Last night I laid in bed thinking of how different this night was, exactly a week ago....

At that time we had planned our great escape from nicotine.....when my husband went to bed....I stared at him in wonder.....How could he go to sleep? Wasn't he aware that he can no longer chew tobacco, that by closing his eyes, he has said goodbye to his best friend? How could he lay there so peacefully? What the hell is wrong with him...lol...?!?

I, on the other hand, stayed up.....I sat, I read, I smoked, I came to the EX site and read some more.....was I going to be able to do this? What the hell was wrong with me?!? Finally, I too closed my eyes....knowing that I too was no longer to use nicotine....

It's good to remind myself when I get strong urges, that I don't want to go back to that feeling of restlessness, and fear right before my quit.....the unsureness, the  "will I disappoint"  feeling.....the "can I get this started" feeling....that part is so hard for me.....

So yes, we are working to maintain our escape and not get caught again.....today begins week 2 : )

No matter how strong a crave is......it is better than that planning stage, for me at least.....and I sooooo need to remember this!!!!

12 Comments
YoungAtHeart

In reality, one of my strongest reasons for keeping my quit is that I NEVER want to have to make that decision and go through those first few days again!

Whatever works!

You are doing GREAT!

Nancy

Deena-A-Yenni

I agree.  I quit many many times before my final quit and the torture was unbearable.  It's easier to stay quit in my eyes.

cheyenne7

Those days aren't fun either, I agree....but I just have such a hard time getting started....maybe it's because I've been a serial quitter....idk

Either way, it's behind me now....and I don't want to go back....to any of that!

rosemarymom

8 days!  How wonderful is that?!!!  So proud of you cheyenne - and your hysband also.  Getting started is so hard - so kudoes to you!!

stadtlerj

I swear getting through one week  really seems to be half the battle, there will never be a craving more powerful than you've already had in the last week, your anxiety will never be at a higher level, you've shown you have the strength to get this far, so it is not lack of strength that will defeat you, you just have to have the confidence that you do have the right stuff, because you do and it really will start getting easier, it will stop consuming every waking moment and the success you continue to build day after day will cement the foundation of this quit and as you keep building it taller and taller you look back and see that the foundation hasn't altered but you have, for the best and your pride and confidence will be unstoppable.

Good luck and just stick with it I promise it will get easier and easier.

Jennifer-Quit

Congratulation on making it thru hell week!  Never look back--just keep moving forward!

swilson2

that first month was the worst i so wanted too smoke and i have had hard times i keep putting one foot in front of the other trying too be postive everyday this site has been a life safer i would have fallen many weeks ago if not for the love and support i have got form my ex family. Day 8 is great your stacking them up

GreenThumb3

Your not addicted to quiting you just need to give it the time it takes and don't think good thoughts of smoking there is nothing good to think of 

Ms.J_11-10-2013

Hey lady~ this isn't your first rodeo.. Seems to me you had a few days under your belt before you slipped...So...That to me means you know you can do it. YOU CAN DO IT!  Someone posted a persons lungs being a non smoker and then what they look like being a smoker.  Let me tell ya if that dosen't knock you off your rocker nothing will..

xoxoxoxo
  Jackie
elvan

Oh my dear sweet lady...you so can do this, you have come so far already and I LOVE that observation: "there will never be a craving more powerful than you've already had in the last week, your anxiety will never be at a higher level, you've shown you have the strength to get this far, so it is not lack of strength that will defeat you, you just have to have the confidence that you do have the right stuff"

It's not MY observation but it is so true...you HAVE already had the strongest cravings, there will be the ones in NML that  come out of nowhere, we know that, you can prepare for those...remember to always be ready and to never give in to the crave...it WILL pass.

Love, Ellen

gr8_start

Congrats!! You can do this!! 

summer-07-06-15

And yet you have made the apprehension of planning, to actually doing is the biggest spet. And changing our mind set to one of I will dissapoint to I will commit to stop smoking, I will work throught my urges. We will do this.

Don't Forget Who You Are