cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

On My Journey

elewis2015
0 13 19

Hello everyone. I am going on day 3 without smoking. i have been using chantix, and it has been working real good so far. But i know I need more than a pill to keep me on track and I need people and freinds who have been right where I am now. Still fighting urges but i am not going to give up No Matter What!!!!

13 Comments
YoungAtHeart

Welcome to our community!

We are glad you are here!  It seems you already have the right mindset that you will not smoke "No Matter What!"

You can still benefit from learning what nicotine does to your mind and body. To that end, I highly recommend Allen Carr's “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking.” This is an easy and entertaining read. Here is a link to a free PDF version of it:

http://media.wix.com/ugd/74fa87_2010cc5496521431188f905b7234a829.pdf

As well, read the sections on this site, and read the blogs, responses and pages of folks you think might be helpful. You might visit whyquit.com and quitsmokingonline.com for the good information contained there.

The idea is to distract yourself through any craves.  You can take slow, deep breaths, go for a walk, play a computer game, do a crossword, bite into a lemon (yup, rind and all).   Here is a link to a list of 100 things to do instead of smoke if you need fresh ideas:

https://excommunity.becomeanex.org/blogs/Youngatheart.7.4.12-blog/2013/02/25/100-things-to-do-instea...

The conversation in your head CANNOT be:  "I want a cigarette.  No!  But - I WANT a cigarette!”

Instead, it needs to be "I want a cigarette.  Well, since I have decided not to do that anymore, what shall I do instead for the three minutes this crave will last?"  Then DO it!

Stay close to us here; ask questions as you have them and for support when you need it. We will be with you every step of the way.

Nancy

elewis2015

Thank you for your kind words and and i will be staying on here getting encouraging words from you and the community

Storm.3.1.14

Read Nancy's comment again. And then one more time, for good measure. It won't steer you wrong.

You'll find plenty more advice and stories of overcoming here on the blogs. Go through and read as much as you like. Keep the things that relate to you most, and put them to use. Your support is here for you.

I'm also glad to see you are tinkering with the message boards and forum and groups and such. You'll figure it all out with a little time. In the meanwhile, keep in touch right here where you posted this introduction. We're here to help.

Welcome!

Giulia

Howdy!  Day 3, ah yes, I remember it well.  NOT!   (grin)  But after today the nicotine will be out of your body.  And that's a YAY!  You're quite right, you need more than a pill to beat this baby.  I like to think of it as a rite of passage, this journey to freedom.  You just have to run the gauntlet.  The "go through, to get to..." saying is true.  If you hold that "No Matter What" thought high, you cannot fail at this.  Do you have a quit kit?  Do you know what a quit kit is?  Heh heh heh.  Part of your homework.  Glad you're here.  We've all been there, or are there or will be there.  You are most definitely not alone on this journey.  If I can help, drop by my page and give a holler.  (You can get to anyone's page by clicking on their photo/avatar).  Snoop - it's encouraged, you'll learn a lot. 

elewis2015

Thanks for the kind words Storm. i will and glad i have so many people who care and ois ready to help. God Bless you all on your journey.

indingrl

Welcome elewis2015 and REMEMBER PLEASE BLOG BLOG BLOG BEFORE YOU TAKE THAT FIRST PUFF OVER YOU♥amen and amen♥CONGRATS AND YYYYAAAHHHOOOOO AND TTTADDAH TO YOU AND MANY MANY MORE NICOTINE FREE DAYS in Jesus name amen and amen♥

elewis2015

I will have to order that. thats something I am going to need.

JonesCarpeDiem

Welcome. You might want to read my page.

elewis2015

Jonescarp i love your story. It gives me hope.

LouiseR

Hey, welcome.  This site is so wonderful and the people are great.  Come here daily and read the blogs and take what you think may help in your quit and apply it.  Be sure to drink lots of water the first 2 to 3 weeks.  Remember, a crave only lasts a few minutes so just try and distract yourself.  Do deep breathing, get up and walk around, stick your head in the freezer(sounds strange but it works) We are all here for you

Barbara145

Hello.  Nice to meet you. You have come to the right place.  My advice:  Come to this site everyday even to just read.  I would not have been able to keep my quit without all these fine people.  God bless you.

DebiD

I also did Chantix...and am on day 351 of my quit. It can be done. The pill helped me, but in the end it was ME that kept me smoke free. Urges come on and go within a few minutes. In those minutes, I would just get up and move. Don't dwell on it (the urge to smoke)...change your mindset. Educate yourself. Just take it a day at a time! Welcome!

Thomas3.20.2010

Rock your Quit!