cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Share your quitting journey

OMG This is all so over whelming!

d.archer
0 8 15

I am so over whelmed by all this information! I do not know where to start. It seems so complicated. Go here, do this, read this, record this, think this, ask this, learn this........WOW!  How do I get help that is not so confusing? This getting started is so frustrating. I do not know how to understand everything there seems there is to do. Just so over whelmed by so much information. I feel so alone and confused.

8 Comments
JonesCarpeDiem

click on my cat and read my page then make a plan with the tools here. read the blogs.

be willing to quit and you won't be fighting with yourself.

Giulia

Hi.  Welcome.  Take a deep breath to start with.  Now take another one. 

I assume you're referring to the quit plan here which you feel is overwhelming?  I would suggest clicking on the blue tab above "how to Quit Smoking" and then just  start at the top of the list .  Click on one of the red links and just read and watch a video if it's offered.  Think about what you've been told and how it applies to you and your smoking habits.  Then let it digest for a day.  Then click on another red llink.  You don't have to do everything at once here.  Just move at your own pace.  The more familiar you become with the site, the less confusing it all will be. 

Quitting takes careful planning and this site gives you to the tools to make a strong plan.  And we're here to help you along the way.  Reaching out to us as you have is a GREAT first step.

You can get to anyone's page by clicking on their photo/avatar.  Drop by mine and give a holler if you need further assistance.  Glad you've joined us.

kristen-9-7-15

Take a few deep breaths like Guilia suggested. 

I started out by just reading the blogs everyday.  That is a great motivator and a good start!

Luvbug4

Do whatever you need to do to not take one puff, ever.  It's that simple.  Some people are motivated by research, stats etc (I'm one of those people), others just want to know they aren't alone in their journey to becoming a non-smoker.  Whatever your motivation for being here, make it work for you so you just don't take one puff, ever.  

Thomas3.20.2010

Take it easy! Rome wasn't built in a day!

The important thing is that you start. So find something that appeals to you. Maybe reach out to one mentor here...or as Giulia suggested start thunbing through the quit plan instructions....or just read quitsmokingonline.com so that yoy gain momentum. There is a lot of info because once you do quit - you will find yourself with a lot of time! Suppose each cig takes 5 minutes to smoke and you smoke 20 a day - that's more than an hour and a half! Meanwhile anything you read will counterbalance your head full of Addictive thoughts. But take your time! A few days compared to a lifetime of smoking is no comparison at all. Keep writing honest blogs! You help you but you also help others by doing so!

YoungAtHeart

You prepare yourself for quitting the exact same way you quit - one day at a time.  Don't rush yourself - overwhelmed is not the place we want you to be. 

We offer the knowledge to educate you because knowledge is POWER!

Hang in there!  Take a deep breath!  Perhaps one article at a time?  Perhaps one paragraph at a time?  Slow and steady DOES win the race!

Nancy

Michwoman

I found the videos at whyquit.com quite entertaining and encouraging! I didn't want to stop watching once I started. You've come to the right place - one step at a time!

crazymama_Lori

are you finding your way around a little bit easier?  If it helps, what I did was started tracking my cigarettes to understand why I was smoking and then used the "how to separate from it."  I don't know, but if you are at all like me, in the beginning I just didn't have the patience to watch all the videos.  Then set your quit date.  Keep tracking those cigarettes.  You'll be amazed how often you do smoke when you don't really even need one.  Mine basically burned up in the ashtray.  One smell I always hated was that butt that never seems to go out.  it was like the olympic torch, for pete's sake.

Once you get into the habit of tracking, then start watching some videos.  Stick with those that catch your interest.  Don't know if you're going cold turkey or using the patch or gum or whatever, but do some research about those too.  Try to learn as much as you can.  You can go to the red "search the community" box and type in the things you're curious about and search the site for blogs or articles about whatever it is.  I found reading some of the blogs of people that just quit or even some blogs that were insightful were helpful to me.

Personally if you get it in your head that this is a nicotine addiction and not just smoking cigarettes, you've got a good start to the race.  Here's a video that I thought was really good and explains it a little bit more simply.   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyIJo7VCdPE

Take it slow.  there's a lot of information on this site and it can be like a dump truck, all of a sudden here's a whole pile of stuff.  well, okay, what do I do with this?  If you need help, advice, a MapQuest, give a shout.  we're all in this together and are willing to help in any way we can